AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Joe Jr How is the Wildlife? - 02/21/01 03:20 AM
Hello everyone! My name is Joseph. I am Joe's son. Of course, you have spoken to my older sister, Lauren. She is 13, and I am 11. I cannot wait until my trip to Belize

How is the wildlife in Belize? I have been skimming through a giant book on mammals and making the list of animals which I hope to see. The animal I would like to see most would probably be a manatee or jaguar. Do you think that it is possible I will cross paths with either animals during my stay in Ambergris Caye? Thank you very much.

-Joseph Jr
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How is the Wildlife? - 02/21/01 04:41 AM
hi joe. look on the other board, i answered you there!
Posted By: denverdan Re: How is the Wildlife? - 02/21/01 05:06 AM
Hey Joe,
My my I commend your on your spelling, impeccable for 11 years. Good job man!
As far as Jaguars are concerned, I understand it's a very rare occurance, but who knows, LUCK.....?.. go to the zoo in Belize, I understand the evening tour is incredable... flashlights and all, too cool.
You will have a great time!
As Jane says, do the snorkel thing or scuba, really great fun and lots of stuff to see.
HAVE FUN MON.

Hey Jane,
Hope those kids are nighty night... mine just getting ready. Chloe is in AC now isn't she? Have you heard anything from her?
You really do flow with info! Hope you can make in in June with everyone going... afterall, you did start this meeting up stuff right...?
You really should be there.
Hope you can make it!
Sincerely,
Hope
Posted By: Barefoot Skinny Re: How is the Wildlife? - 02/21/01 09:58 AM
Hey Joseph! I think you've found the "Wildlife" right here on your computer. Just joking! Don't worry. The longer you stay in Belize, the more you see! (If you're watching) So many folks miss the crocodile right next to them because they just are not watching! They don't know it's there because they don't believe it could be. Keep your eyes and ears well tuned to the nature, and you'll will see many, many wonders!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How is the Wildlife? - 02/21/01 10:47 PM
i just thought i'd post it here too, so you didnt have to read both! here is a copy:

janeinPA
. posted 02-20-2001 08:36 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi joe. the caye is just a small island. the wildlife you might see are a bit tamer than those on the belize mainland. i understand on the south part of the island, you can see crocodiles. i didnt see any, because i stayed in the north. what i did see: lots of kinds of sea birds, some small some large, such as a great blue heron & pelicans, there are lots of geckos (lizards) and i saw a few iguanas. some were quite big! if you snorkel, you can see nurse sharks (they dont bite!), rays, crabs (hundreds of hermit crabs), and hundreds of different kinds of fish. if you never tried it, the dive staff are very nice. they will let you wear a float (i did and i am 37 years old!), and will even hold your hand if you are uncomfortable. there are special places you can arrange to go where there are manatees, or even sea turtles and dolphins, but i didnt see any of those either. my husband saw some while scuba diving, though.
if your family is planning to visit the belize mainland, there are other aminals to talk about. don't be disappointed about my answer, you will see lots of cool things. make sure you bring your own mask & snorkel with you! and bring your sense of adventure!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How is the Wildlife? - 02/21/01 10:54 PM
ha! hope, my spoiled brats didn't get into bed until 9:30 last night!

this question i felt compelled to answer because wildlife is "my thing". that is why i first went to BZ. i was very aware of it all around me.

there is a place near Belmopan called the Banana Bank Ranch. it is a neat place, right in the middle of the jungle. they have a pet jaguar (and parrots, and a piccary and monkeys etc...) but she is in a cage. a guy who worked there in '93 let the spider monkey climb all over us (on a leash) and it was so funny! i have it on video, wish you could have seen! i had just showered and put on a clean white t-shirt, and i had little monkey prints all over me!

don't know if they still do that, as i understand the place has grown a bit. but i will never forget that place.
Posted By: Karen Pasquariello Re: How is the Wildlife? - 02/22/01 04:55 AM
Banana Bank has grown a bit, added some arenas and stable for the horses, but it is basically the same place, that laid back atmosphere and the wildlife is still there.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: How is the Wildlife? - 02/23/01 12:29 AM
Hi Joseph Jr. I am here in San Pedro now. I enjoy all the nice wildlife on the island. As my friend Skinny said, you have to keep your eyes peeled. Look up, down, all around. Animals big and small. Have a nice time. Hope to see you here. Bill
Posted By: Joe Jr How is the Wildlife? - 02/21/01 03:20 AM
Hello everyone! My name is Joseph. I am Joe's son. Of course, you have spoken to my older sister, Lauren. She is 13, and I am 11. I cannot wait until my trip to Belize

How is the wildlife in Belize? I have been skimming through a giant book on mammals and making the list of animals which I hope to see. The animal I would like to see most would probably be a manatee or jaguar. Do you think that it is possible I will cross paths with either animals during my stay in Ambergris Caye? Thank you very much.

-Joseph Jr
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How is the Wildlife? - 02/21/01 04:36 AM
hi joe. the caye is just a small island. the wildlife you might see are a bit tamer than those on the belize mainland. i understand on the south part of the island, you can see crocodiles. i didnt see any, because i stayed in the north. what i did see: lots of kinds of sea birds, some small some large, such as a great blue heron & pelicans, there are lots of geckos (lizards) and i saw a few iguanas. some were quite big! if you snorkel, you can see nurse sharks (they dont bite!), rays, crabs (hundreds of hermit crabs), and hundreds of different kinds of fish. if you never tried it, the dive staff are very nice. they will let you wear a float (i did and i am 37 years old!), and will even hold your hand if you are uncomfortable. there are special places you can arrange to go where there are manatees, or even sea turtles and dolphins, but i didnt see any of those either. my husband saw some while scuba diving, though.

if your family is planning to visit the belize mainland, there are other aminals to talk about. don't be disappointed about my answer, you will see lots of cool things. make sure you bring your own mask & snorkel with you! and bring your sense of adventure!!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board