AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Short "Brother Barrow" on the Bench - 08/11/09 01:10 PM
"Brother Barrow" on the Bench

Denys Barrow, his friends call him Brother Barrow - but not because he's the Prime Minister's Brother; that moniker dates back to groovy times in the 70's. But now the 70's are long gone, in the aughts, instead of Brother Barrow, he'll be Judge Barrow

Denys Barrow was sworn in by the Governor General as a resident judge of the Court of Appeals today.

His older brother, Prime Minister Dean Barrow was present along with members of Barrow's family.

Barrow who started practicing law in 1977 is a respected jurist in the Caribbean and has served as a high court judge in St. Lucia, Grenada and British Virgin Islands between 2000 and 2005. Most recently, he was a Justice of Appeal of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court from 2005 to 2008.

He has also been honored by the Belize Bar association for outstanding contribution to the legal profession and excellence in the practice of law - and is among the most respected and most well liked legal officers in Belize.

Barrow takes over from Justice Boyd Carey who retires after the October sitting this year. Other Judges of the Court of Appeal are the President, Elliot Motley and Justices Manual Sosa and Dennis Morrison.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=14744

Denys Barrow appointed Justice of the Court of Appeals

[Linked Image] Denys Barrow took the oath today as a Justice of the Court of Appeal. Justice Barrow was sworn in by Governor General, Sir Colville Young, at Belize House in Belmopan.

Denys Barrow, Sworn in as Appeals Court Judge

"I Denys Barrow do swear that I will bear true faith and allegiance in Belize and will uphold the constitution and the law and that I will conscientiously, impartially and to the best of my ability discharge my duties as a Justice of Appeal and do right to all manner of people without fear or favour, affection or ill-will, so help me God."

Justice Barrow was called to the Bar in 1977 after qualifying at the Norman Manley Law School in Jamaica. He was elevated to Senior Counsel in 1990 and was partner in the law firm of Staine and Barrow from 1977 to 1994. He founded his own law firm "Barrow and Company" and has held many legal positions. His most recent achievement was in 2007 when he was selected by the Bar Association for its prestigious "Custos Justitiae Award" for excellence in the practice of law. From 2005 to 2008 Justice Barrow also served as a Justice of Appeal of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court. He takes over from Justice Boyd Carey who retires after the October sitting. Justice Barrow's appointment was approved by the Senate at a special sitting on August sixth of this year.

http://www.channel5belize.com/archive_detail_story.php?story_id=24956
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board