AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty US Embassy in Belize construction - 08/21/05 05:58 PM
Interesting Q & A on the Belizenet board...

Q: Any clues as to why the US is overwhelming Belmopan with the embassy complex? It looks bigger than the Belize government buildings. We still live in the US, but are moving to Cayo District. Looks like no place is safe from our "tax dollars at work."

A: I've read that the U.S. State Department has developed three standard designs for new American Embassies -- small, medium and large. Small costs around US$50 million, medium around $70 or $75 million and large around US$100 million, exclusive of land costs. There are different and I suspect more costly design standards for embassies in major world capitals such as Moscow or London.

Belize's is the small version. The announced cost for the U.S. embassy in Belmopan is US$50 million.

Typically, the small version is supposed to take a little over two years to complete, including planning.

These designs are supposed to provide secure facilities. I don't know the specifics, but the construction is blast-hardened and provides living space for personnel as well as administrative offices. In some cases other U.S. offices such as USAID are incorporated into the embassy compounds.

The present embassy in Belize City is in a lovely old building, but it is certainly not very secure and over the years has been subject to flooding from hurricanes and once was badly infested with termites.

You wouldn't think that the U.S. would need such a large and costly embassy in a little country like Belize, but when you're dealing with Uncle Sugar and State Department bureaucracy I guess you have to go with the design specs.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com
Posted By: BDinAZ Re: US Embassy in Belize construction - 08/22/05 04:06 AM
I'm sure the embassy wants such a large presence to solidify the US and Belize relationship over like, say, um, trade. You know like CAFTA.
Oh, yea, Belize wasn't included.
Well, what "might" Belize have that Uncle Sammy may want?
Hmmmmm.....
What does Venezuela have that Uncle may have trouble getting in the near future?
Hmmmmm......
Well, I'm sure stumped......
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1464263,00050001.htm
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: US Embassy in Belize construction - 08/22/05 01:50 PM
Simply because Belize is a strategically located, democratic and stable, english speaking country. And Uncle Sugar is now Uncle Subsidized Sugar and not the big earner it once was. I hear US Southern Command will have a large presence at the new compound in Belmopan and assume the US military attache and offices will move from Airport camp to Belmopan as well.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board