AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: shelley Captain Morgan's Retreat - 02/03/03 07:04 PM
Hi All,

My "honey" and I are scheduled for 7 nights at Captian Morgan's in June. I was wondering what everone's feeling was on them? I've heard so much about Ramon's I'm beginning to think we may have booked at a wrong place.

I'm also looking for some info on the weather and water tempature at the end of June. We will be visiting June 22-29th.

And last but mostly inportant: We want to get married while we are there. Nothing big, actually just us, a preacher, a beach and you guys if you want to come. We both have been married once (or twice) before and I find no sense in spending a bunch of money. Can it be done this simply there?

Any and all information welcome.
Posted By: divediva Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 02/04/03 02:25 AM
Sorry I can't give you much info right now, BUT I'm getting married at Capt Morgans later this month. I'll report everything when I get back. (Good and/or bad). So stay tuned.
Posted By: Sandy C Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 02/04/03 02:14 PM
Happy wedding and marriage! Caribbean Villas Hotel (under "Lodging" this site & E-mail: [email protected]) hosts many weddings. They can share with you contacts, costs and procedures & I think they would be happy to do so even if you aren't staying there. June weather is warm in the air and water; only risk seems to be a tropical wave that could bring thundershowers.
Posted By: shelley Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 02/04/03 08:44 PM
Good luck on your marriage divediva. Please do let me know how the retreat is. We are looking for a very small ceremony. Just us.

Have you contacted anyone in Belize yet concerning the license? If so, can you give me your contact so I can start inquiring.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 02/04/03 09:20 PM
Getting married here is a piece of cake(takes 24 hrs. to set up)for contacts call travel and tour here in S.P.
Posted By: shelley Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 02/04/03 11:38 PM
Pedro,
I'm so glad to here that. So we don't have to be in the country for 3 days before we can marry?
Does Travel & Tour have a website? Or do you have a number/contact?
Posted By: divediva Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 02/05/03 01:15 AM
From my understanding you still have to be in Belize for 3 day prior to getting married. But maybe Pedro has some new info.

Anyway, I used the services at Maya Travel Services (www.mayatravelservices.com).

We are having a small ceremony, which started out with just the two of us, but now a few friends are joining us.
You do need two witnesses, which I'm sure the folks at where ever you stay will be happy to be your witness.

Many travel agents will do the license stuff for you. Maya Travel arranged everything for us, license, photographer and minister.

Let me know if you have any other questions....and I'll be sure and report back when I return.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 02/05/03 02:06 AM
I arranged a marriage in one day(they are now seperated)call "Travel and Tour" 226-2137 and they arrange everything
Posted By: divediva Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 02/26/03 09:15 PM
Just got back from Belize yesterday. It was wonderful. We did a week of diving on a liveaboard and then we headed over to AC and Capt morgan's to get married. Everything went so smoothly.
Capt Morgans set up a place for us to have the ceremony on the beach, a circle of palm leafs and conch shells under two palm trees. Even the weather corroperate. Had very little wind and a beautiful sunset.
Kay Scott arrived and was so sweet and the minister did a lovely service. I'm getting the picutres developed today so I'll try and post some later.
Bottom line, getting married in belize was easy, stress free and perfect for us. Now we have a very special place to go back to for anniversaries. If you have any questions..let me know. laugh
Posted By: shelley Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 02/26/03 09:19 PM
Originally posted by divediva:
Just got back from Belize yesterday. It was wonderful. We did a week of diving on a liveaboard and then we headed over to AC and Capt morgan's to get married. Everything went so smoothly.
Capt Morgans set up a place for us to have the ceremony on the beach, a circle of palm leafs and conch shells under two palm trees. Even the weather corroperate. Had very little wind and a beautiful sunset.
Kay Scott arrived and was so sweet and the minister did a lovely service. I'm getting the picutres developed today so I'll try and post some later.
Bottom line, getting married in belize was easy, stress free and perfect for us. Now we have a very special place to go back to for anniversaries. If you have any questions..let me know. laugh
Posted By: mayatravel Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 02/26/03 09:41 PM
Legally, you have to be in Belize 3 days and can submit your paperwork to the registry office on the first business day after that.

We do alot of weddings and yesterday hit a new snag: A couple called yesterday (Feb 25) and said they arrived Feb 17 and wanted to get married. I handed their paperwork to registry and they handed it back-turned out the couple had gone to Guatemala and reentered Belize Feb 24. Registry would not accept their paperwork until FEb 27th.

But we were able to arrange a bann with the minister who will preform their ceremony today. I'm not sure exactly what that buys you, but the minister said it was enough for the church consider the couple married. I'm going to look into this a bit more.

Might be a good option for some.

And congrats Ms Dive Diva, I hope it was all you expected it to be.

Katie Valk
Posted By: shelley Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 02/26/03 09:47 PM
Divediva please tell me know more.
Who do I contact for what? How much did Morgans charge you? Who do I contact there? Also the cost of the photot lady, Minister, etc. I need to know the total it will cost.

We arrive June 22(which is a sunday) I thought we could apply on the 23rd and get married by the 26-27th? Would that be right?

Tell me whom and where the legal process starts.
Posted By: divediva Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 02/27/03 12:42 AM
Shelley
OK basically this is what I did. I contacted Katie Valk at Maya Travel via email. I told her our plans and she quickly came back with "no problem.' Katie and her staff booked rooms for no only us but for the friends who were traveling with us and she also made flight arrangements for us to San Pedro. Arrangements for the photographer and for the minister we also done by Maya Travel.
When we arrived in Belize City, we got a cab from the airport and took it to Maya Travel. Finally got to met Katie in person (great lady) and she took all the paperwork she would need to obtain our license. We then went on a week diving trip in the waters around Belize. When we got back into town, Maya travel dropped off our license at the boat.
The next day, we took a plane from belize to San Pedro to go to Capt Morgans. Once at Capt Morgans, we were assure everything was ready for our ceremony. The photographer and the minister had already confirmed that they would be there. We just had to pick a spot on the beach where we wanted the ceremony performed. Capt Morgans did a great job of making this a stess-free day. Along with Katie's help, everything thing went on without a hitch.
$$$$$: Photographer $220, Minister $125, Notery & license $220. Capt Morgans did not charge extra to set up for the ceremony, so just the cost of the room which was $250. Now I did go in high season. I believe you said you were planning to go in June which would be low season so the room should be less expensive. But be sure to double check on when the low season begins and ends.

KATIE: Everything was perfect. Thanks for all your help and hard planning. Your Great. I hope to make it back to Belize soon. wink
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board