AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Gaz Cooper Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/12/03 09:42 PM
Can't get into my Btl e-mail account anyone else having the same problem or is it just me

Gaz
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/12/03 09:46 PM
Hey Gaz, I "sent" an email yesterday and normally get immediate responce..... not this time, so " maybe mon"
Posted By: latitudes Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/12/03 09:53 PM
I called BTL at 11 a.m. and they said they were working on the problem and it would be up in 40 minutes. I have not been able to access my email for over 6 hours! Considering they received 350.00 US dollars from me last month for their lousy, overpriced, unreliable service, I am extremely p.o'd.! Who has the information on satellite service? I'm interested in doing a "group purchase" to save money.
Posted By: Marty Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/12/03 10:00 PM
i'm getting bouncebacks from emails to btl.net

like so:
** THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY **
** YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE **

The original message was received at Wed, 12 Feb 2003 07:41:41 -0800 (PST)
from d129-54.uoregon.edu [128.223.129.54]

----- Transcript of session follows -----
<[email protected]>... Deferred: Connection timed out with ns.btl.net.
Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
Will keep trying until message is 5 days old

i've gotten a couple dozen of them this AM from the accounts of folks i emailed...
Posted By: Short Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/12/03 10:26 PM
Just called BTL, and the problem should be solved by 3:00pm....

I'm getting so tired of this, the other day, their mailserver went down at 9:30pm, the internet guy I got on the phone didn't want to believe me, and wanted me to change all sorts of stuff (he had no idea what he was talking about), when he heared that I work with Mailwasher, he blamed the problem on that, later on Norton 2002, because I had to install 2003, I think he was drunk. Finally at 1:30am and about 10 phonecalls later, another technician confirmed that the mailserver was down. In the end it took till 10:00 am to get it on again.

The moral is.... I don't need to tell.
Posted By: Short Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/12/03 10:31 PM
When you moniter carefully, the mailserver is down at least every two days, but never for such a long time. Yesterday their internet server was down for at least two hours.

Guess they should stop selling btl mail adresses to spammers; they can't handle the consequenses.
Posted By: Sandy C Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/12/03 10:36 PM
Satellite internet in San Pedro: Ken, 226-2310, 600-4755
Posted By: latitudes Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/12/03 10:43 PM
I finally accessed my mail. Only 11 messages despite the fact that it had not been checked in 13 hours. One was a repeat of a message I had already received. I should have had at least 40 emails (including my spam, courtesty of BTL) I am sure that they have lost email. Anyone have a similar experience??
Posted By: Short Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/12/03 11:07 PM
I hardly use the BTL account; I have another one; but I'm sending it through BTL, only receiving goes with the mailserver you signed up with.

That's the best way to avoid this problem (because they are loosing A LOT of e-mails, or they get timed out), and then I know what comes in on btl is probably spam (on average 10 - 15 a day with me).
Posted By: Gaz Cooper Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/12/03 11:19 PM
Well just got my mail and I KNOW FOR A FACT they have lost at least 100+ mails that have been sent

I got 12 I get that many per hour

As someone once told me thats the price for living in paradise.

Yeah Right

Gaz
Posted By: latitudes Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/12/03 11:19 PM
Short, Pardon my ignorance but I don't get how you get around this. Since all my advertising and guidebook listings have my btl address how can I change my email address without losing all my inquiries?? Can my email be automatically forwarded to a new account?? Thanks for your advice because I have had it with btl!
Posted By: latitudes Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/12/03 11:25 PM
Marty,
If you could do an emergency note on the homepage of ambergriscaye.com to tell everyone that btl has lost hundreds of email and to try again it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, Lori
tried to send this to your email but now the outgoing mail server won't work!!!!
Posted By: latitudes Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/12/03 11:30 PM
3:30 p.m. cst ....email access is out again. please send email for Changes in Latitudes B&B Inn to [email protected] and I promise a prompt response!
Posted By: Gaz Cooper Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/12/03 11:30 PM
Lori

I also use Yahoo and pay for the service and I download my btl mail onto my yahoo account over the next months I am slowly moving people to use my yahoo address as it much more reliable.

You can program any yahoo account to download your btl mail just go into the options area and do it from there.

I started switching a while back but [email protected] has been around for years as has yours and it will take a long time for it to change over to a new account especially as we have adveritsing out there for years with our btl address on it.

Best regards

Gaz
Posted By: susangg Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/13/03 12:22 AM
Yahoo now offers low cost paid accounts (the free accounts can get overloaded quickly because of the storage limitations, all it takes is a few photos to put you over the limit.)
I recommend the British version of Yahoo (www.yahoo.co.uk) because they have stricter rules on spam and don't sell your email address to everybody in the world like the US Yahoo does.
You can use your regular email programs (Outlook, etc.) with the paid version and you can have it forward your incoming mail.

For people who might be looking into sharing a business class satellite dish with a few others, there's a new fixed wireless distribution system put out by Motorola called Canopy: http://205.243.239.12/#
I am looking into this for Panama.

Those of you who are Belizean citizens and complaining about the lousy service and high prices that the government-enforced monopoly inflicts on you might want to remember this issue when you vote. There is a slate of independent candidates running for various seats and one of their issues, if I'm not mistaken, is putting an end to these awful monopolies (including duopolies) and supporting free enterprise and free competition in telecommunications. (It would sure create a lot of good jobs for Belizeans too...)
Posted By: Short Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/13/03 01:54 AM
I don't get how you get around this. Since all my advertising and guidebook listings have my btl address
latitides, I started the proces a year ago, also kept my btl adress, just added a new adress in my mail browser. All new advertising is with the new adress, and I keep pulling out the btl adress of web advertisements. Still after a year sometimes receive mails on my btl adress; they get a nice (standard) mail saying that the adress has been changed, but that we received the mail. Only send with your new adress (to make sure that you don't accidently send from btl, I sabotaged it by entering a wrong smtp server adress). I guess it'll take me at least two more years before the btl adress has been forgotten.
Posted By: Short Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/13/03 02:05 AM
We also have a Public Utilities commission, who will take complaints, you can download the complaint form at: http://www.puc.bz/publications/Complaint%20Form.doc
I always do that, or I send it e-mail: [email protected] or [email protected] (see, they did the same thing!).
Posted By: Short Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 02/13/03 07:57 AM
We're down again; I left 4 hours ago and just came back, after just three phone calls to btl found out that the mail server is down for a while now, and it will probably take a while before it's up again; they advised me not to wait for it and try again tomorrow.
Posted By: Mel Berry Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 12/29/03 04:14 PM
StarBand remains working in Belize but the newer model DiRECWAY 6000 will now provide a better service. The DW6000 system is now $2000 US installed, and cost is $59/month + tax.

For questions regarding the Direcway, Starband, or SkyBlue products please visit the forums at www.dbstvforum.com and click on "Internet Via Satellite outside USA"

DBS Forums for Belize

Contact Lorne or Julian at [email protected] for more information (located in San Pedro)
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Is BTL e-mail Down - 12/29/03 05:35 PM
One good service offered by BTL e-mail is an automatic answer function. You can go into the "vacation message" site, write your own message and presumably it goes out to every sender immediately. You could try using that function - have an auto message that says "address has been changed to ____"
Can't hurt to try - OR have an auto message that says if they don't get a reply in 24 hours, please call you on the phone, and offer to deduct the call from their lodging bill if they choose to stay with you?
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board