AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: gizmo Heaven On Earth - 02/18/03 10:34 PM
I have just come back from AC after a month and have truly experienced Heaven on Earth!!
Thanks to all of you for the outstanding information that was present here on the board. I was really excited to finally hit some of the snorkle stops/restaurants/bars- and experience the total ambience of Ambergris Caye.
I met so many friendly people and had the opportunity to do so many things I've never done before, I feel truly blessed.
Some highlites:
The adreneline rush of not only swimming with sharks and rays, but holding them as well.
Seeing manatees.
The feeling of being 400 feet in the air para-sailing.
Crazy Canucks Bar
Great food
Belikin Beer
New friends
I'm hooked.......I saw a sign that said "Welcome to the world of make Belize". That says it all.
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: Heaven On Earth - 02/18/03 10:38 PM
I'm going for my first time 3/29, you got me excited Gizmo! Sounds like you had a great time!
Thanks for sharing! smile
Posted By: gizmo Re: Heaven On Earth - 02/18/03 10:44 PM
Now I'm sitting in the "jealous" seat.
How long are you lucky enough to be going for?
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: Heaven On Earth - 02/18/03 10:49 PM
only 1 week, which I already know is not going to be long enough - but I am lucky to be doing this adventure, so no whining. Shark Ray Alley sounds like a real hoot! where did ya stay? where did ya eat? I wanna know everything! smile
Posted By: gizmo Re: Heaven On Earth - 02/19/03 12:51 AM
We stayed at Banana Beach which is a perfect walk to town. (About 1/2 hour). Besides making the odd dinners in, we ate at the street vendors as well as restaurants. I can honestly say we did not have a bad meal the whole time. While a couple were nothing special (probably what I ordered), they certainly were fine.
My favourites include: Papi's Diner, Jambel Jerk Pit, Caliente's (ginger rum shrimp-yum), and the little Vegetarian place inside the Bamboo Store on Coconut Drive (just down from Banyan Bay). A good leafy salad was a bit of a challenge to find, but this vegetarian place was awesome for lunch. Great grilled eggplant sandwiches (if you like that kind of thing).
We rented a golf cart a couple of times....once to check out the island and go across the cut to the north end, and the second time to go on a "pub crawl" with some new friends.
While all the snorkle guides are very professional and really know and love what they do, I really enjoyed my adventure with Alfonse Graniel. He has a real passion for what he does and the sea life really respond to him. Other travellers had expressed their disappointment of not seeing sharks at Shark Ray Alley....we were fortunate to have been in the water with three sharks and five rays.
We took a day trip over to Caye Caulker, did a bit of shopping, had lunch, and hit the Lazy Lizard bar at the "end" of the road. Saw a spotted eagle ray leap out of the water.
Of course we had to place our bets at the Chicken Drop one Wednesday night. Alas, we did not win but it was fun trying!
If you have never tried para-sailing, I would highly recommend it with the outfit that go from Fido's dock. You launch from the boat and return to the boat. It was my first time and it was anything but scary.
We had some really fun "party" nights at the Crazy Canucks bar. They have live music three times a week, and Rick the bartender is a great guy. You may even win the limbo contest!
And you have to go and see Satan (crocodile extraordinaire)......he lives in the pond down by the water tower just south of Victoria House.
Bring bug spray. If there is no breeze, the no see-ums and/or mosquitoes may decide to have dinner at your expense.
Posted By: rickcheri Re: Heaven On Earth - 02/19/03 01:37 AM
Only 3 sharks???? Should have been like 10 (atleast) so glad you had a great time!! Yes-Paradise!!! C laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Chloe Re: Heaven On Earth - 02/19/03 01:48 AM
Gizmo is another satisfied Belizer. We did our job good. Thanks Gizmo for taking the time to share your wonderful trip with us, and we do know how you feel.........heavenly.

Doberman will have to wear lead shoes home from Belize. Dob is already excited and has not land on Ambergris yet. Can't wait to read of the experience.
Posted By: Lizzard Re: Heaven On Earth - 02/19/03 05:29 AM
Gizmo,
Boy...you have me all excited, too!!!
(Not that I wasn't already)
It'll be my 1st time in AC 25mar, really can't wait. I seriously have at least 3 feet of snow in my yard.

Dbdoberman,
Ever feel like re-thinking your your lodging location?
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: Heaven On Earth - 02/19/03 05:36 AM
wink no lizzard, but it doesn't hurt to look around for the next time!
Posted By: Debbie Re: Heaven On Earth - 02/21/03 07:00 PM
I'm so sad to hear that there are not as many sharks as there used to be. The first year we went, there were so many "boiling" in the water near the boat, I couldn't even jump in!!! there had to have been at least 20. They were everywhere. And half as many rays in every size. Is the increase in boats scaring them away????? Debbie
Posted By: New England Girl Re: Heaven On Earth - 02/21/03 07:24 PM
Hey Gizmo!

I didn't think I could be more excited about our up coming trip to Belize (first time)but after reading your message I am! We arrive on 3/29 too for a glorious 10 day vacation/honeymoon. We are getting married on 4/2!!!

We may not be the only newly weds there but rest assured we will be the most fun! We are meeting up with Lizzard and her hubby along with Seeking Tarpon and his wife - who will be our witnesses at the wedding.

I look forward to experiencing some great times & laughs with everyone from this message board. The 6 of us will leave YOU ALL with some great memories & laughs too!

And don't worry Lizzard - the snow will be melting soon!

New England Girl
Kelley
Posted By: gizmo Re: Heaven On Earth - 02/21/03 07:38 PM
Congrats New England Girl. You and your hubby will LOVE your time on AC. (You're even tying the knot on my b-day!!)
My hubby and I are already socking away $$ towards our next trip back. After having experienced the island life for myself, I can totally understand the draw this beautiful place has on people.
One regret: Going to Caye Caulker on a Wednesday, and not being able to have lunch at Rasta Pasta. (Their day off!) I was sooooo looking forward....... Next time!
I'm still ridin' the wave and am in denial that I'm back to the grind....
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board