AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: dbdoberman Favorite Dive Sites - 03/06/03 05:43 AM
Axeman, it sounds like you have dived around AC quite alot. What are your favorite AC dive spots?
Posted By: seashell Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/06/03 10:17 AM
Sorry for stepping in, but I couldn't resist. My favorite local dive site is Cypress. But I also like Boca Ciega and Victoria Tunnels. On the other hand, I saw a humungous barrel sponge and a nest of 8-10 Pederson Cleaning Shrimp out at San Pedro Cut the other day.
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/06/03 01:53 PM
thanks SS. The title should have been "FAVORITE DIVE SITES", because I realize that those of you who are there, and others who have dived there could all give me a few great spots. I have noted those you provided! smile

there, fixed that!
Posted By: Axeman Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/06/03 03:34 PM
There are many who have been to more spots than me, with that said my favorites are:
1. Turneffe Atoll area, by far the best walls for the area.
2. The cut by Hol Chan, many many fish, but be warned...heavy current...you'll need to be rested and alert, boats transit so surfaceing might be risky.
3. Tres Coco's
4. Dos Coco's
5.//ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/article9.html
read this for my entire trip report...hope you enjoy it.
Posted By: Ms. Coconuts Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/06/03 06:43 PM
My favorite local dive was Tres Cocos. There's a lot of healthy brain corals there. Also big barrel sponges.

I'd also recommend the Amigos Wreck.

But if you can, take a trip out to the atolls. It is worth it!
Posted By: JohnF Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/06/03 08:21 PM
With respect to the atolls--I think the wall diving is best at Lighthouse--particularly Cathedral Wall. Just got back several weeks ago and the Blue Hole was fabulous with Amigos del Mar. Great stalactites and sharks. I had done the dive years ago but enjoyed this one more--probably because I have more experience now and was much more relaxed than the first time I did it.
Posted By: Seeking Tarpon Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/06/03 09:08 PM
Are there any local sites without going 2-3 hours offshore that would be a good bet for sharks? Sounds like shark/ray alley is a bust these days. I would love to encounter a few sharks, but I'm not too thrilled about the 2-3 hour long boat trips. Help!!
Posted By: Marty Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/06/03 10:27 PM
we see nurse sharks when diving pretty much all of the time
Posted By: seashell Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/07/03 04:23 AM
As far as diving out at the Atolls goes, my favs are Halfmoon Caye Wall and the Aquarium. These dives were a bit murky a week or so ago but all the other times that I have dived them, they were fabulous.

For the Halfmoon dive, I love how you drop above the white sand and as you descend you can often see the tracks made by the conch across the sand. I love how you swim through a space between two coral heads and come out soaring over the lip of the wall. Recently, I loved how an eagle ray came along and soared with me after he was done flashing the others. We spent some quality time together.

I still really enjoy the Blue Hole too but I've done it enough times now, that what I'd really like is a day trip that could combine Halfmoon Caye Wall and Aquarium with another dive from the Turneffe Elbow day trip.

I guess what I really need to do is a liveaboard trip or spend some time out at Turneffe Resort.
Posted By: trina Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/07/03 07:10 AM
Halfmoon Caye is best...and surrounding reefs and atolls. wink
Posted By: Marie Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/10/03 05:15 AM
Seashell, you sound really knowledgable about diving. We've been diving there 8 or 9 years on and off. The last two years in a row. Just got back. Where is Boca Ciega. I wonder if we have missed it, meant to ask Sylvin Forman about it and forgot.
Posted By: seashell Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/10/03 05:32 AM
I think it's just south of Cypress.

By the way, I've had some pretty nice dives at Tacklebox too.
Posted By: Marie Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/10/03 07:15 AM
Hi Seashell!

Yes, we've dove Tacklebox many times over the years. My favorite is Esmeralda Canyons...I love how blue and deep it is. It is just the nicest spot. Just ran to get my recently unpacked dive log...OK, this year it was Esmeralda, Esmeralda South, Tuffy, Victoria, Tuffy South, Wakatunech, Tesona, Mexico and Tacklebox Canyons, Hol Chan, and Hol Chan outside the reef, Tres Cocos, Cypress Gardens, Punta Arena and Mata. I'll ask Sylvin about this Boca Cieaga. Don't think we've ever been there. Perhaps next year. Thanks for you input!
Posted By: seashell Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/10/03 08:31 AM
Well, you've got me on Wakatunech and Tesona. I don't believe I've heard of them. Since you list them with Mexico Rocks, though I'm thinking they must be north?

And I believe it is Boca Ciego . . . probably right near Boca Chica? Gaz, anybody? Am I out to lunch here?
Posted By: Marie Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/10/03 09:12 AM
Well, I might have the spelling wrong. Also, my sainted dive instuctor (you can tell I'm fond of him) tells me many of the old names of dive sites have found new names. The two you questioned were with other dive masters, when he was instructing, so could be a place we both know by another name. Have you done Rescue Diver yet. We're thinking of that for next year. By the way, since you apparently dive so much, any hints on ears. It is my biggest problem. This year, I did Benadryl and ear drops, and its better, but still a problem. Any Suggestions? Now, I'm feeling guilty. This is a honeymoon site. You can contact me at [email protected] if you wish. Thanks. M
Posted By: Marie Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/10/03 09:15 AM
Oops! I mean dive site, been writing to honeymoon sites, too. I'm on a mission, you see. My wonderful Paradise Resort Hotel never advertises. I fret it will be sold and become a condo site, so want to let people know how great it is. I can't tell you how much I love the place.
Posted By: seashell Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/10/03 05:02 PM
Sure, Marie, I can give you some tips on ears. smile
However, you didn't really say what the problem was. Do you have trouble equalizing as you descend? Or are you having infections after diving?
Posted By: Marie Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/11/03 05:31 AM
Hi Seashell! Its equalizing. I've done about 80 dives since I was certified advance open water, and more often than not, its miserable for the first 20 minutes (am I a dedicated diver, or what!!!. Perseverance is my middle name). I do the nose pinch and blow number until my nose is sore. I go up, I go down. I always tell those I dive with not to wait for me. I just descend as I can, and eventually catch up with them. It is a little better this year. I've finally started taking Benadryl before I dive, and putting ear drops in before I dive. Miracle of miracles, a good 5 of my 20+ dives this year were pain free. Most of the others were acceptable, and maybe five were miserable. I would appreciate any information you could share. Thanks so much!
Posted By: seashell Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/11/03 05:48 AM
I'll try Marie. First, do you have trouble equalizing on a plane too?
Posted By: Marie Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/11/03 05:57 AM
Thanks, Seashell! Re the plane..no. I yawn and that does the trick. I do a modified version of that while descending. That, and all the things you learn when you first begin to dive. So, I hold my nose and blow, wiggle the jaw and do my modified yawn. Like I said, this year has been better than most. I think the Benadryl and ear drops have helped. Interestingly, when I am diving, my ears feel plugged up after diving for hours, but obviously don't hurt. Thanks for your input.
Posted By: seashell Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/11/03 06:58 AM
Don't thank me yet Marie. I'm not quite done with you. wink

OK, if you can easily equalize on the plane, then it seems apparent that you don't have any sinus restrictions and/or small eustachean tubes. Therefore, we need to work on your technique when diving.

Now then. I want you to equalize, right now, sitting in your chair. Just like you would on the plane. Move your bottom jaw forward just a bit and/or swallow? Feel the slight pop like you get on the plane? So now you know what you should be doing a time or 3 before you get into the water.

Myself, I start equalizing on shore. I do a couple of those and then again on the boat just before descent. Then while still at the surface but in the water, I do a valsalva. (pinch nose gently, gently puff into ears) I've found frequent little puffs work ever so much better than a few big honks. You must equalize early and often. By early, I mean you must equalize before you feel any pressure and most certainly, before you feel any pain. By often, I mean after every inhale.

If you are still feeling fullness in your ears after diving, it would be my guess that you are equalizing too aggressively. I suspect that you've been having trouble for so long now that you've managed to psych yourself out on this issue.

There is nothing wrong with descending slowly, as long as you are equalizing early and often. Going back up when you've gone too far is a good plan for your ears, that's true. However, going up and down like that will surely screw them up. And I don't mean to say don't go back up, you must if you are having problems. You just need to find a way to get past going up and down like that. Remember what it was like in the pool? And when you do your pool refreshers before going back out on another dive trip? Those few feet can really screw me up with the going up and down.

So, you need to find a way to get equalized BEFORE you descend to a point that requires you to ascend to equalize.

OK, so moving right along. Now you are equalizing softly, gently on shore, on the boat and at the surface immediately before descent. Next, you've begun your descent and so have exhaled all of your air. You've dropped a foot or two. Equalize gently anyway, you'll still have enough air left to give a little puff, even so. Now you will inhale just a little bit (because you don't want to fill your lungs so much that you ascend a bit when you are still trying to get down a few feet), that quick little inhale is enough to equalize again as you exhale. Inhale, equalize as you exhale, inhale, equalize as you exhale, continue until you are at depth and have met up with the group. Hold your depth. How are your ears? Looking good. smile
Posted By: Marie Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/11/03 02:09 PM
Thanks Seashell. Your advice sounds logical. I printed it off, and will tuck it in my dive bag for reference the next trip. I think you are on the mark re the big "honks". I do try to do it frequently and hard, and never thought to start on shore. Trust me, I will next time. I really appreciate the time you took to write all that. And, I'm sure it will help lots of other readers. It has been something I've just learned to live with, but those 5 or so wonderful, pain free descents make me want lots more!!! Thank you very much.
Posted By: seashell Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/11/03 02:42 PM
Good luck with it and remember "early and often".
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/14/03 02:57 PM
Thanks all for your input. It was nice to look at the locations on the dive map here. Never saw a site with so many great maps. Axeman, I did enjoy your trip report, you got to enjoy some fantastic diving! Ok, where is the Amigos Wreck? SS, you always have helpful info for all. I had a dive buddy who for years just could not get it through his head to start equalizing at the surface. He always waited until his head was under - and suffered because of it. May we all enjoy great diving, and calm water (maybe not possible for me diving in March, but I can wish!) smile
Posted By: Hey Jude Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/17/03 07:25 AM
Have to agree with most of the dive sites posted already. My personal favorite was Half Moon Caye Wall and Aquarium is great also. Closer to AC we dove Tackle Box Canyons which was fun too.

Since the "carnival winds" kept the surf up outside the reef, my friends and I opted to do an overnight dive trip. That way we only had to make the trip out to the atolls once but got in 5 tanks and some snorkling. We went with Coral Beach Dive Shop which is on the pier next to Shark Bar. The 50 ft boat we went out on has bunk beds and was a very cool experience. The boat Offshore Express II is actually the boat used in the filming of Cocoon.

We dove 3 tanks the first day at Turneffe, Long Caye, and Half Moon Caye. Stayed overnight moored up at Half Moon Caye which was like a private tropical paradise. The next morning we headed to Blue Hole and had already surfaced by the time the first boat from AC (Amigos Del Mar)had arrived. We headed for Turneffe for our last dive and then back to AC.

The crew was a family operation. Alan Forman is a PADI Platinum Dive Instructor and has personally trained his dive masters. His son Clive captains the boat and is a dive master. Drury, another son, catchs fish along the way and assists as a crew member. Norma & Dalcia are two daughters that manage all of the cooking and bedding and all of the guests on the boat comfortable. Another crew member is Rocky, not a family member, but an excellent snorkle guide and tour guide on Half Moon Caye.

The trip cost us $250 US for the dives, all meals, and accommodations. We left Tuesday at about 0630 and were back well rested with a siesta on the return trip by 1630 on Wednesday. The food served was plentiful and excellent.

Here is a website that goes into a little detail on the trip.

http://www.coralbeachhotel.com/

Alan doesn't own the hotel anymore, but does have the dive shop going. I highly recommend this dive shop for local diving as well. Alan Jr., the grandson, who runs one of their other boats Offshore Princess is an excellent dive master for local checkout dives.

We also did an all day survival picnic with Coral Beach Dive Shop. We snorkeled near Basil Jones, had a beach picnic cookout with fresh fish & all the fixings, and another snorkle stop at Mexico Rocks. On the way back we stopped at Mata Chica (site of Temptation Island filming) and at the Palapa Bar for a drink prior to returning. Lots of fun. They will customize this for whatever your group likes to do. Can't say enough good things about this little dive operation. They treat you like family.
Posted By: seashell Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/17/03 10:04 AM
I think I forgot to mention Pillar Corals. I really like that spot too.
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/17/03 02:09 PM
Hey Jude, sounds like you had a great time, and enjoyed excellent diving. I will file the overnight dive trip away for future consideration. I only have 1 week, which already is full. I wish I would have planned for at least 10 days or 2 wks. Next time! smile
Posted By: Scubabuddy Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/17/03 03:33 PM
I was told by some of the people that went to the Blue Hole that the water was alot calmer when they were out there versus just right onthe other side of the reef. Is that the case?
Posted By: seashell Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/17/03 10:29 PM
The trip to the Blue Hole from Ambergris has two open water crossings. You start inside the reef on the way to Caye Caulker and then have to angle out over open water until reaching the Atolls, near Turneffe. Then there is another shorter open water crossing until you near the Blue Hole. The open water crossings can be rough. Perhaps this is what your friend was talking about?
Posted By: Hey Jude Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/18/03 06:20 AM
Scubabuddy & dldoberman,
All of the dives we did at the outer islands were in calm waters. The reef conditions there are not like AC and do not affect the good dive sites such as Half Moon Caye, Aquarium, Blue hole, & Turneffe sites.

We elected to go to these other sites doing a one night overnight so that we only had to make the trip out and back once. It is a great option when the reef conditions for diving around Ambergris Caye are too rough. I think it is more economical to do the overnight option as well since every time the dive boats go back and forth daily, it costs fuel. It might not be for everyone, but it is not a cattle car approach to diving where you are on a strict schedule. We had max bottom time and had wonderful snacks & meals waiting for us on our uptime between tanks as we moved to another site. Very relaxing actually and the slow motoring around the Cayes allowed us to take in all the beauty and uniqueness of these other Cayes & Atolls.

--Hey Jude
Posted By: NYgal Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/18/03 03:24 PM
Hey Jude, you make that diving sound so comfortable. It sounds like a great way.

I don't dive, but if I did, I would want to go that way. I watched the divers from another caye, hustle to dive shop, get instructions, get on the boat, go do their dives, come back to the shop, eat, rest, go back out doing the repeated process again. Tired me out watching them trying to get ready again.

It didn't look like a very restful trip and they did this for 3 days straight, while we watched.
They were staying at the same resort, so we had many convrsations about their dives.

They had fun, but didn't have good rest.

I may add, they did admit to getting tired too, so it wasn't just me, the nondiver, watching. smile
Posted By: NYgal Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/03/04 06:03 AM
Why is this up here? I didn't do it confused
Posted By: klcman Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/03/04 06:07 AM
mebbe somebody bumped it , you replied & they deleted post ? It's the darksideeeeeeee wink
Posted By: NYgal Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/03/04 06:08 AM
It was last year laugh
Posted By: klcman Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/03/04 06:09 AM
uh uh - i think i see what happend and I think i was right --HA! bumpity bumpity bump
Posted By: NYgal Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/03/04 06:11 AM
I'm gonna cover my eyes and make it dark....then off to the bed, gnite wink
Posted By: BNBelizeSoon Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/03/04 06:48 AM
Gotta fess up, it was me. I was reading this post and the new ones at the same time. Replied to the wrong one and taaa daaa, here we are>
While we are here, what are your favorite dive sites. My hubby and I want to do the blue hole but have made no choices on the other 4-5 days. We're working with Amigos but no choices yet. Sorry again for the bump
Posted By: NYgal Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/03/04 04:13 PM
I don't dive, sorry wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/04/04 03:57 AM
I agree with most of what's been said so far. On equalising problems I'm against the use of any drugs. Any condition that needs a drug to overcome it can return or get worse while you're down there and give problems ascending. If you have congestion then best not to dive at all until it's gone.
On dive sites, I haven't found a bad site locally yet, nor any one that is much better than the rest. So much depends on exactly where and how deep you go, the direction you go in, and what the conditions on the day are. I had a VERY experienced diver with my center in December, and he chose to dive at the same site (Tuffee) for six dives - said it was so interesting. Mind you, he was going pretty deep.
In terms of intrinsic interest - mainly the "spur and groove" shape of the terrain - I'm hard put to think of anywhere I've been in the world that compares with the Barrier Reef. It's topologically more interesting than the atolls, though less attractive in some other ways.
We try whenever we have enough divers to make it economic to go well north (several miles) and dive unmarked areas. Away from the town with its past history of fishing you stand a better chance of seeing large pelagics (eg. a Mako and Tiger on the same dive).
The only problem with the barrier reef is that isn't circular so when the weather is coming from the east there's no "lee". I envy the guys at Grand Cayman - if they have bad weather they simply travel around the island until the weather goes away!
For a shallow/bad weather dive Hol Chan does very well. The only trouble is that there's only one of it and it can get quite crowded. And of course you need to be careful with timing to avoid strong tidal currents flowing in or out.
I've dived around Lighthouse a few times and rate it very highly. The Blue Hole is a superb dive for people experienced with diving in gloomy grey surroundings. It's not a dive for novices though and I try to deter them. Makes an excellent tech dive (deeper and longer than normal).
Half Moon Caye Wall and The Aquarium are world class open-ocean wall dives, and although the last time I went the conditions were a bit murky I'd rate them as excellent for anyone other than absolute beginners. I agree with the overnight option as well - if you can dive the BLue Hole around noon it makes for a much brighter dive, and of course it's much more relaxed.
Many books have it that The Elbow is the best dive in Belize. Each to their own, of course, but for me it doesn't come near the Lighthouse dives.
Haven't dived further south yet but I'd be interested to hear from someone experienced what it's like.
The only problem I have with the diving in (this area of) Belize is that there aren't significant wrecks, only reef dives. Most of my diving friends look for a wreck a day and we just don't have that here. Word is that there are one or two WWII subs at below-recreational depths, and if anyone has any more precise information on their location I'd be really grateful to hear, as we do dive to those depths and these could be great attractions for techies.
Posted By: seashell Re: Favorite Dive Sites - 03/04/04 09:42 AM
I agree with you about the Elbow. I've tried it a few times now and have never enjoyed it the way I've enjoyed the Halfmoon Caye wall and/or the Aquarium.

So far I've never been that enthused about wreck diving either. However, I have a big bunch of dive buds that tech dive and love to dive wrecks. This past October, I met up with a few of them in Florida. We did a bunch of diving out of Boynton and Pompano. Visited a couple of wrecks because that's what they wanted to do. I couldn't have been more underwhelmed.

The part I really couldn't figure out about it, was these guys dive there all the time and have been on these wrecks or similar before. Why on earth, they'd want to do them again, is beyond me.

Give me a nice reef dive any time. (all that said, I haven't made it to Truk yet) smile
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board