AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Red Dog To the north - 03/09/03 06:31 AM
We want to go to the far north end of Ambergris when we are there next week. Any recomendations on how best to visit that area.
Would it be a good place to live?
Posted By: seashell Re: To the north - 03/09/03 09:22 AM
My friend and I rented a boat and captain. It was a great way to spend an afternoon.
Posted By: Sandy C Re: To the north - 03/09/03 02:40 PM
Excalibur Tours runs a day trip around the island that focuses on the north end; you would be captive to their schedule. Realtors (Southwind, Triton, Sunrise, etc.) may take you up there to see land they have listed. And you could hire a guide to take you on your own schedule. Ramon Guerrero, phone 226-2325, might be available to take you or he could recommend someone. Would be a beautiful place to live; plan for your own electrical system if far enough north, reliable boat transportation (2 outboards on the boat?), satellite TV and/or internet and caretaker. Enjoy the beauty and quiet there.
Posted By: Nick Barton Re: To the north - 03/09/03 07:48 PM
I'm sure your hotel or condo manager will very easily arrange for a driver and boat to take you up there (which we did) or just ask at one of the piers - it is an interesting and worthwhile trip - we particularly enjoyed the trip through the Mayan cut at the top of the island, in amongst the mangroves - we made a day of it and had a barbecue lunch on one of the beaches up there
Posted By: trina Re: To the north - 03/09/03 08:15 PM
Yes, we recommend the Excalibur tours. They are not trying to "sell" you anything, like real estate for example. Very mellow. But if you're into buying, there are numerous realtors who will take you up there. Some of that northern area is protected, National Park. Some of it may be privately owned. There is no road after a certain point, so you would be totally boat dependent, which is no big deal, I guess.
Posted By: Chloe Re: To the north - 03/09/03 08:58 PM
Being in real estate myself, I know any real estate office, that is going to take you on the boat they are paying for, will really quality you as worthy Buyer, before heading to the dock.
Rightly so, they are not free tour guides.
Advantage of going with the real estate agent, they will know what is available and the price.
I took trips north with a real estate agent, and I paid for the golf cart rental, and the boat charge, as a prospective Buyer. I was still taking several hours of the real estate agents time, and as of yet I have not purchased.

My knowledge of way up north the land is in large parcels, not just small residential plots.

Coming back south near some of the existing resorts between 8 and 13 miles north of SP, you can find residential plots, and even more closer to SP.

JMHO
Posted By: SP Daily Re: To the north - 03/09/03 10:13 PM
Chloe: Odd that your realtor didn't show you Palm Bay, a subdivision located way north almost to the border. Lots of residential house lots, many for sale.Another similar subdivision is nearby.
Posted By: Chloe Re: To the north - 03/10/03 12:45 AM
Thanks Jesse, for the info. Actually we did not go that far north. Too far for me.

How many miles are these subdivisions from San Pedro?
Posted By: Marie Re: To the north - 03/10/03 02:00 AM
Do you really want to do the far north? Unless you have your own boat, you will be subject to paying for a boat every time you want to get into San Pedro. As of last week, the furthest we could get out with a golf cart was to Captain Morgans. Marie
Posted By: Red Dog Re: To the north - 03/10/03 03:53 AM
We think that we realy do want to go up to maybe Bacular Chico even. A little boat time might be good.
Posted By: Marie Re: To the north - 03/10/03 05:21 AM
Well, then, there you go. I'm not very familiar with that area, so will bow to the knowledge of others. It sounds like you know what you want, and trust me, on AC you can find it. You'll be fine!
Posted By: denverdan Re: To the north - 03/10/03 06:14 AM
Marie that's strange you could only get to CM on the cart. We stayed "near" JE... North of CM two years ago... I think maybe even longer ago, (time flies) and did just fine with a cart.
HOWEVER... we do plan to do one or several boat things up there lookin around in a few weeks as well. I just HAVE to know AC better!
Loren and Sue I know you will have a GREAT time! Especially on a boat!!! We LOVE being on the water... whereever!
Posted By: Marie Re: To the north - 03/10/03 06:38 AM
Hi Denverdan!

It was muddy. Actually, we got just past Captain Morgan's as I now recall (but then, that's just next door to Capricorn for those of you who don't know), then turned back. I was told one could get to JE, but we've never been able to do it. On the other hand, we've never had a problem getting all the way to the tip of the southern end of the caye. I expect it all depends when you are there. We had a very dry trip, but it did rain two nights before we tried. My husband is quite the good driver, but this was thick. Ah, the joys of our AC. That's half the fun of it!
Posted By: Red Dog Re: To the north - 03/14/03 07:06 PM
Thanks for the help everyone.
We will have a great time with everything we do.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board