AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: son of a son Bicycles, Gyms, and Yoga...oh my! - 05/09/03 10:25 PM
Okay this is a three-parter!

Is there an import tax or fee for bringing in your own bicycle, which I am planning on selling or leaving there after my trip?

Are there any Gyms at any of the resorts that travelers can use during their stay, even if they don't stay at that particular resort? (my wife seems to remember a Gym somewhere in San Pedro)

And finally...Do any of the resorts offer Yoga classes at their fine facilities? (Yoga is on the rise in Arizona and it would be wonderful to practice there as well)

I know these are odd-ball questions but it doesn't hurt to ask!
Posted By: blk chine Re: Bicycles, Gyms, and Yoga...oh my! - 05/09/03 10:30 PM
the only help i can offer you is i know there is a gym in boca del rio close to riverside sports bar
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Bicycles, Gyms, and Yoga...oh my! - 05/09/03 10:51 PM
There is a large gym called Ocar's with weights and cardio machines which is $4.50 BZ ($2.25 US) per day to workout at.
KE
Posted By: klcman Re: Bicycles, Gyms, and Yoga...oh my! - 05/09/03 11:49 PM
Oscar's is the one in Boca del Rio
Posted By: Dan & Jan Re: Bicycles, Gyms, and Yoga...oh my! - 05/10/03 12:11 AM
There are Yoga classes that are held at different locations during the week. My wife and I took a class at the Plyador when we were there in Jan. and enjoyed it a lot. My wife is an instructor and she enjoys taking other classes so she can just enjoy the class. If you stop in to either the plyador or Fido's they should be able to give you some information. Namaste
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bicycles, Gyms, and Yoga...oh my! - 05/10/03 01:07 AM
Yoga classes at Caribe Island Monday mornings. Come on out!
Posted By: son of a son Re: Bicycles, Gyms, and Yoga...oh my! - 05/10/03 01:26 AM
Namaste Dan & Jan

Thanks for the heads up at the Carib Island..Ibanole

And thanks everyone for the Gym info!

Now maybe I can stay in some sort of shape while on vacation!

Sounds pretty cool so far!!!

No info on the Bikes?
Posted By: son of a son Re: Bicycles, Gyms, and Yoga...oh my! - 05/10/03 01:39 AM
I was just looking .... is Boca Del Rio also known as Hotel Del Rio? (the one on the "lodging" site)

If not...Where is it located?
Posted By: seashell Re: Bicycles, Gyms, and Yoga...oh my! - 05/10/03 01:54 AM
No, Boca del Rio is an area of town. Hotel del Rio is in Boca del Rio. However, if you were at the Hotel del Rio and headed north up the beach, once you got to the river cut or just before it, angle to your left and voila, Oscar's.

Or if you were almost at the hand ferry looking to the north, Oscar's would be just to your right.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Bicycles, Gyms, and Yoga...oh my! - 05/10/03 03:02 PM
There is a new tennis club and gym in San Pedro now. A huge pool is under construction on site at this time, and there is a cute little cafe as well. It's a very nice facility.
Posted By: Beachdog Re: Bicycles, Gyms, and Yoga...oh my! - 05/10/03 05:13 PM
I've brought in 2 bikes in the past and was assessed 9% duty on the value. The bikes were used and I valued them at $100.00 US each. If you bring one in make sure the box weighs under 70lbs. and is within the size limitations. Most airlines have size and weight restrictions which can be found on their websites.
Posted By: beach bob Re: Bicycles, Gyms, and Yoga...oh my! - 05/12/03 01:27 PM
FYI~

I just flew on Delta & they recently dropped their max weight limit per bag checked to 50lbs. (down from 70lbs.) -- saw them assess another traveler $25 for being over weight (the bag, not the traveler wink ). Not sure if size limits have changed, or if other airlines besides Delta have lowered the bag weight limit... Just another change in the ailine industry's nonstop campaign to annoy its customers. I won't get into Delta's goofy checkin procedure that I endured :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, it would be wise to check your carrier's website for the latest bag limits, etc. shortly before traveling & pack / plan accordingly...
Posted By: seashell Re: Bicycles, Gyms, and Yoga...oh my! - 05/12/03 02:31 PM
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the 50 lbs was for in-country travel only and that international flights still allowed 70 lbs?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bicycles, Gyms, and Yoga...oh my! - 05/12/03 03:17 PM
US Air International is 70 lbs (Thank God!!!)
Posted By: beach bob Re: Bicycles, Gyms, and Yoga...oh my! - 05/12/03 04:23 PM
US Air International is 70 lbs (Thank God!!!)
Thanks for the correction, I was wondering if there was a difference... maybe I misunderstood the conversation I overheard at the counter...

Anyways I am no good at this 'pack light' thing; if I go somewhere that I can pack light (like AC), I start filling the bag w/ toys: snorkel gear etc etc smile
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board