AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: ScottKelley quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/18/03 12:08 AM
Hi everyone!

I've kind of hit a little of this topic on a couple of posts, but figured I'd make one of my own so I don't step on everyone else's threads.

I've been looking all over the net to find where we're gonna stay in Belize this summer and my girlfriend kind of keeps changing her mind about things (not that I haven't done so myself a few times as well).

Where would we find a nice, quiet room with air conditioning, walking distance from (or in) San Pedro? If it's nice there, we may camp (as we originally intended), but my girlfriend isn't too keen on the idea now that it's hit 102 degrees here (Phoenix) and she's hot.

Ruby's seems great, but I've read a few comments about it not being too quiet. It's definitely within the budget though and not completely out of the running.

We'd like to stay under $100/night and preferably under $50/night. Lily's and Spindrift etc look too crowded for my taste.

We're thinking we'd get a room in a place like this for a few nights and then look around while we are there for a place to stay the rest of the 8 total nights we'll be in Belize, unless it would be difficult to find a place right after dia de San Pedro. Would it be difficult to find rooms in AC or CC the first week in July by just talking to people while we are there or should we definitely reserve a place or two for the whole time, in advance?

Caye Caulker would be an option, but we wouldn't want to get stranded in AC if we stayed out too late.

Any help in this would be appreciated. smile
Posted By: Sandy C Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/18/03 12:28 AM
This is not as cheap as the downtown hotels you mentioned, but you would hit between your $50-$100 mark. Caribbean Villas Hotel is a 15-ish minute walk to town from its south of town location. Quiet at CV, but close enough for fun and party when you want; all rooms & suites have AC. They have a summer special where every night you stay after the 5th night is 1/2 price. They have rooms around $65 so the special would drop that per night average lower. Only 10 rooms/suites on 3 acres of land with wooded bird sanctuary, gardens, hammocks, free bikes and 300+ foot pier with swimming/snorkeling area. Great staff. You'll enjoy the island, I'm sure, wherever you stay.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/18/03 12:45 AM
You HAVE to check out Banana Beach.... All you ask for.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/18/03 09:34 PM
SPINDRIFTS is perfect, clean, large rooms, balconies, wonderful staff... not crowded at all, quite small actually.
$45-65 per night!
Keli
Posted By: Rapier Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/18/03 11:07 PM
If it's quiet, Clean rooms you want at that price level I would have to recommend Holiday.
No Tv, No Phone [which imho meant perfection] right in town, CLOSE TO EVERYTHING !
Has Fridge and Good COLD AC
Ask for room 9, gives you a bigger fridge and is a stand alone unit so not even the sound of feet above can bother you laugh laugh laugh
Say hi to Judy [the house keeper] for me cool
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/19/03 08:11 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. We'll look into all of them. I think we'll just pick something decent at first and then hop around a bit.

I've been trying to get a hold of Ruby's for a few days now with no luck. No one answers the phone or email. Anyone know maybe a more current way to talk to them? Maybe I'm using the wrong number or email address now.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/19/03 04:35 PM
scottkelley:

I stayed at Ruby's my first night and emailed them for a month before going, never a reply. Spindrifts emails right back. Gladys is wonderful.
Good luck.
KE
Posted By: Marie Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/22/03 11:31 AM
Check out Paradise Resort Hotel (not villas, not that they are bad). It really gives you the feel of old-time Belize, is very comfortable, and economical. The most expensive rooms are the "villas", with kitchenettes and porch. About $130. You can go as low as $75 for smaller rooms without kitchens.
Posted By: travelbum24 Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/22/03 02:57 PM
Check out the Blue Tang Inn.
This hotel is in a quite place and has a pool.
Its about a $100 a night. I just got back from
there on Tuesday. Just to let you know.
AC has been having problems with electric.
We had a few mornings being a little warm because
the electric went out around 5 am.
One day it did not come back until 1pm.
This place is clean has a kitchen. The staff
is wounderful. Will definately come back !!!
Posted By: rickcheri Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/22/03 03:02 PM
I'm with Scott-Holiday Hotel your best bet!!!
Posted By: seashell Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/22/03 03:59 PM
ke, I'm curious as to how Spindrifts can be one of your considered picks for a quieter hotel. There is a bar and a restaurant on the mainfloor, both popular and once a week there is a large gathering right out front for the chicken drop.
the white noise of air conditioner, snoring, and night time body sounds is all you'll need for a good night's rest, no matter where you stay.
Posted By: ckocian Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/22/03 05:30 PM
To borrow a phrase "It's the earplugs, stupid." laugh laugh
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/22/03 05:45 PM
lol...I was kind of hoping for the sounds of the ocean and the breeze through the coconut trees. If I wanted to hear other people I would just get a motel 6 here in Phoenix.
Posted By: Marie Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/22/03 06:34 PM
Paradise Resort Hotel is quiet. It has a separate access road to it. I heard one person say it was close enough to the power plant to hear that, but in years, I never have. Paradise Villas is another story. Blue Tang looks quite nice, but be advised that it is at the end of the dock to Wet Willies, a very noisy bar. Holiday is very nice, also old time Belize, but also tends to be noisy on occassion. I don't know about Sprindrift. Paradise is at the North end of SP, well before the cut. It is old time Belize, thatched roof kind of place. Just a couple minutes walk to wherever you want to be. No pool, lots of your palm trees, huge sandy grounds. It's right on the water, but you would have to swim off the pier from there, as there is a breakwall. There is a pretty decent beach further North, by the cut. But, be advised, most beaches in AC have a lot of sea grass and you have to walk a ways out to get up to any depth. The best view is from 5B and 6B (check on that with the hotel to be sure I'm right with the numbers, you want the second floor), in the back, facing right to the water. Smaller room, no kitchenette. Great view. If you want a kitchenette, which is nice for breakfast, ask for one of the 'villas'. I think I get V2...I can check that for you if you like. It runs $130 high season, but you can negociate in summer. They have a web site you can check into if you are interested. Have a wonderful time. By the way, the Winnie Estell docks right off Paradise, if you decide to do the romantic ring thing on board.
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/23/03 09:25 PM
The Paradise Resort Hotel looks nice. We'll check it out when we get to AC. Thanks for the info on the other places as well, Marie.

I guess there'll be several rooms available 27June when we arrive. Maybe we'll just stay at Ruby's or similar until we get a chance to really look around.
Posted By: susano Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/26/03 01:47 AM
I just spent 12 days at the Seven Seas. I loved the location...up by the cut and where the locals live. It was quiet, reasonable, and had a kitchen which was really nice. We stayed on the third floor.

Because it's the slow season, I'd suggest making plans before you leave. It can be hard to get enough people to do a snorkel trip, etc.

Finally: This isn't related to accomodations, but go to Milo's Money Exchange instead of the bank. I found out just before I left that they give better rates!
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/27/03 02:30 AM
Scottkelly,

as for seashell's comment on Spindrift's gathering each Wed night, it is over by 7pm and it only lasts 30 minutes!!! I don't know who is in there room for the night by 7pm!!!! Good luck.
Posted By: seashell Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/27/03 02:41 AM
Sure, Scottkelly don't go by me. I've only spent whacks of time in SP. You should listen to ke, who has spent a week there.
Posted By: klcman Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/27/03 03:07 AM
whack wink
Posted By: Chloe Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/27/03 03:40 AM
klcman where have you been? We have missed you.
Posted By: klcman Re: quiet room with a/c near SP?? - 05/27/03 04:17 AM
busier than a hooker at a banker's convention, oh wise one, catch up to ya soon, promise laugh
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board