AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Can someone recommend a dive operator that doesn't operate cattle boats. People on this board seemed to lean towards Amigos del Mar. We don't like going on boat that has more than 8 or so divers. TIA.
[email protected]

Just remember, there is always a trade off.

You can dive with a guarantee of fewer divers . . . but you won't have the same service, no matter who you sign up with.

One of the many reasons that people recommend Amigos is because they have so many boats, you are virtually guaranteed to get a dive, whereas with smaller operators, sometimes they don't go out if conditions and/or customers aren't all that they can be (to the operator)

Amigos will keep your gear, instead of having to take it with you all the time, etc. etc.

I almost always dive with Amigos. There is a reason that I do that, even with all my San Pedro diving experience . . .

I really enjoy diving with *very* small groups, (in fact, often dive sans buddy) and from time to time, I've had to put up with as many as 5 or 6 other divers (oh no). . . but it's rare and when I do, we are still quite comfortable and roomy on the Amigos boats (even the smallest one).

However, while you can find yourself from time to time sitting and diving with more divers than you'd hoped to, Amigos often don't have that many divers booked. And whether they do or don't, all of their boats are in really good shape, and as a rule their captains and DMS are excellent. I could go on and on and probably will . . .

All that said, if you are totally hooked on making sure you dive with a small intimate group with an excellent DM, then be sure to check out Ched (Reef Adventures).
Hi Seashell

As usual you provide accurate and good information however since I market myself as Ambergris Cayes smallest dive operation taking only 6-8 divers per boat I wanted to seperate myself from your point that if we did not have enough divers we would cancel.

I agree most operators will cancel however we do not, it is my view that if a diver has booked with me and I dont have enough divers to make the trip worthwhile, it is not that divers problem it is mine so no matter if I have just one diver pre-booked i will go out even with that one diver. its a service issue

Just wanted to clarify that point

Gaz

P.S Can't go wrong with either Amigos or Ched both provide good service
Good point Gaz.

We don't dive, but it would be a hard situation, for those that do, if they couldn't go due to lack of divers interested.

Many tours are cancelled due to lack of enough people to go, mainland especially. It hurts the tourist more than anything. They spend big bucks to go somewhere and then can't go out on a tour.

Back to the divers........... smile
No worries Gaz. I should have clarified that the cancellation scenario is unlikely to occur at a dedicated dive resort like Playa Blanca. I'm sure that the boats also go out at Sundiver and places like that too.

As for in town, if for some reason a small operator can't take you out that day, they will often set you up with another operator that is going out. If that occurs, don't be surprised to find yourself on an Amigos' boat after all.

And it should also be noted that Gaz' operation should be separated from my comment about service. As a dedicated dive resort, his resort can and will provide the same gear service and overall diver support, that may be missing from some of the smaller independent operators in town.

Gaz, as you well know, I think your DM, Andy Palacio, is one of the very finest.
We'll be in Ambergris Caye in a week. Can anyone tell me what the water temperature is?
This mornings dive temp was

83 surface

82 at 60ft

regards

Gaz
THANKS Seashell

I am the first to admit my operation is only as good as the people that work with me and you are right Andy is a GEM and one of the best out there.

all the best

Gaz
ScubaDoo:

I went with Amigo Del Mar's (eddie and Alberto are wonderful) and went with just me diving and the masters!!! And some people I met the next day also went w/ Amigo Del Mar's and it was a group of 3 that just went with them...during the busy season. Who said you need to go with so many? They are wonderful!
KE
I know several people are for Amigos del Mar and we had a bad time with them.I would try Gaz.
no futher comment.
Andy is da Man! and a true "star" haha! Diving with Gaz's staff was very enjoyable, I can vouch for their professionalism.

If you are going to do the Blue Hole day trip, Amigos is the way to go. Their boat has super stability, and the best for travelling that distance.

Have a great trip!
being professional is the key. Going over your limits is not.
What is this, twenty questions? Spit it out.
For dives right outside the reef, I always go with Tulu (he works off the Coral Beach dock). He's been diving forever, is very patient, thorough and a ton of fun and info about the island. I've never dove with him and had more than 4 divers (including me). If you want to do more than 1 dive/days, he will take care of your gear for you so you don't have to haul it back and forth. And he's great at pointing out stuff on the dive that I never would have noticed myself (he's part fish I think).
The local dive operator we used to scuba[including night dive] and snorkle except for the Blue Hole adventure was Alonzo Flota. See www.underdasea.com. Phones 016-4769 and c/016-4769.
He and his first mate - Roberto - picked us up promptly at the Belize Yacht Club but would do so at any prearranged convenient location. They were professional, courteous and safety oriented. They knew the waters very well. And because AC was not crowded we were the only two aboard for our dives. The point is that Alonzo did not cancel. I am pleased to recommend him.

Quote from AC in NOv report 1/16/03
My experience is that I take my gear to the shop I want to dive with and sign the paperword the day before my first dive. They then pick me up at MY dock with all my gear on board. They then drop me off at MY dock, take my gear back, wash it and hang it up to dry and it is ready for my next dive. The only restriction here is that I not jump around from one operator to another.
Hustler and Ched are my two favorite. Everyone has their favorites and for different reasons. You will find yours too. There are some shops that will go out no matter how rough it is. I don't like that and don't do it. Safety is a big issue with me.
Harriette cool
PS: I really Like Gaz -- he's a fun guy -- I've just never been in the water with him.
Harriette
(HI GAZ - I'm back in town 'til the first of July)
Looking for a Cattle Boat... Not a dive operator. I need to get some cows to AC (my pets). Last time I hired to have this done, the guy showed up in a dive boat filled with divers. All was fine until we got to the first dive stop and the divers put on their masks. My cows freaked out cause they weren't sure what those strange, glass eyed, plastic coated, hose breathing critters were. It was a hell of mess as the boat overturned and my cows had to swim for shore. Please Advise...
I have to presume that this unfortunate story really did end in total disaster,as I have not met any cows on this island.
I saw a couple (in bright pink one piece suits) wink
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board