AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: mustang6 Which Resort? - 08/08/03 09:31 PM
First time potential visitors.
Hoping to find something special in Belize ans AC. Read an awful lot of posts and we are looking for info on staying in either Victoria House or Ramon's. Can anyone give us the straight poop on these resorts?
Also want to see some Mayan history preferably a day trip.
Thanks
Posted By: JanetBoston Re: Which Resort? - 08/09/03 02:59 AM
Sorry I can't help, just wanted to give your post a bump. You deserve a better reply than that. While you're waiting, do a search on those two properties, there's lots of info out there. Good luck.

Janet
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: Which Resort? - 08/09/03 11:00 PM
Ramon's is one of the oldest resorts on the island, has expanded a lot over the years and remains very popular, especially for first-timers to Belize. It still has some of the thatch and sand ambiance that people come to the cayes for (but which isn't all that common anymore in an age of reinforced concrete.) It has the best beach in or near town, a small but very nice pool and a popular bar. The location is handy, right across the street from the airstrip (but no noise problem) and a short stroll from town. Ramon's is known as a party place, and while that really isn't true if you compare it to real party hotel destinations in the Yucatan or the main Caribbean, it's true on Ambergris. The downside of Ramon's is that it's a little pricey for what you get, and some of the units in the back aren't that great. There's a restaurant, okay for breakfast, but definitely not one of the top eateries on the island. Overall, a well-run resort with high occupancy.

Victoria House is also one of the older places on the island. It has more of an barefoot upscale feel than Ramon's. It's about 2 miles south of town, so you need a taxi, golf cart or bike to get back and forth to town regularly. The grounds are in great shape now, and the pool, a couple of years old, is one of the nicest on the island. There's a nice beach, and the bar, in a thatch palapa or cabana, is great. The accommodations are always a bit of a surprise, because they vary a lot. There are older thatch casitas (said to be a little hot despite A/C though I have stayed in them myself, sorta motel-like rooms, larger rooms in the main building, and deluxe suites in the what used to be called the owners' villas (plus there are now suites in a private home south of the resort.) Good restaurant. Well-run. Expensive, and the villas are very expensive.

There are places with more space and much lower prices on Ambergris, but both these places have solid guest satisfaction levels.

--Lan Sluder <San Pedro Cool, Fodor's, Adapter Kit Belize, etc.>
Posted By: JenLoves2Dive Re: Which Resort? - 08/10/03 12:53 AM
If you have time, send for Lan's books Adapter Kit Belize and San Pedro Cool through Amazon.com. I've been reading through them and they are a wealth of information. Lots of good tips.
Jennifer cool
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Which Resort? - 08/10/03 02:00 AM
As a former resident of San Pedro and know the island well, I would, without a doubt reccommend Banana Beach. Check it out.
Posted By: Wendy Re: Which Resort? - 08/10/03 02:31 AM
The question was about Ramons or Victoria House....
Posted By: Waterworld Re: Which Resort? - 08/10/03 03:51 PM
I also reccomend banana beach, its the new "spot"! Why is it either VH or Ramons. There are many nice places to stay and all your really gonna do is sleep in your place anyways. I would stay just south of town somewhere. Just go there and decide when you get there. Its not like you wont find a place to stay. I prefer that method anyways. Soon as you tell the taxi driver you dont have aplace yet., hes gonna go crazy telling you where you should stay and why, and youll get a ocean of info from them. Have him drive you a round a few places, its only 5bze for a taxei, throw the guy 10 us and tell him to take you to see banana romons and victoria than make a decision, that would trully make your time and choice most pleasurable. The pool at romons is awesome, very exotic surrounded by flora.
Posted By: mobunny Re: Which Resort? - 08/10/03 04:23 PM
I have to put in another plug for Ramon's. I think I enjoyed staying there so much because of the overall ambience. The grounds and the fabulous pool are jungle like. The beachfront rooms on the non sewall side situate you right in the mist of the beach (25 feet away from your porch), ocean and palm trees. I felt one with that enviroment. Yes - the rooms are small, but we only showered and slept there. I liked the thatch cabana - it felt exotic to me. Anyways, check out my website for lots of pics of Ramon's (if you want.) http://mywpages.comcast.net/iwehmeier/ Have a great stay wherever you choose. 8 days and counting!!! mobunny

PS My avatar icon is a view from our porch at Ramon's.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Which Resort? - 08/10/03 04:53 PM
The sea view rooms at Ramons are very nice but I agree with Lan's post.
All the hotels mentioned on this post are amongst the islands best.
Posted By: Sigmond Frog Re: Which Resort? - 08/10/03 05:04 PM
As a new member, seems to me that mustang6, like myself, has performed substantial island research and narrowed the choice to the two expressed lodging locations; and has asked for more information from board members who are acquainted with these locales.

I would expect opinions to be limited to those lodging choices without injecting subjective preferences. Otherwise, what evolves is a narcissistic competition, which while fascinating, dilutes the topic.
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: Which Resort? - 08/10/03 05:17 PM
Nope, sorry Sigmond... while a person may ask a question regarding one or two places, you would be amazed at the extra places that are listed as well of which the original poster enjoys because they never thought of the extra places.

Limiting knowledge can be stiffling... expanding ones choices can only enlighten.
Posted By: jvid Re: Which Resort? - 08/10/03 05:31 PM
Originally posted by mustang6:
First time potential visitors.
Hoping to find something special in Belize ans AC. Read an awful lot of posts and we are looking for info on staying in either Victoria House or Ramon's. Can anyone give us the straight poop on these resorts?
Also want to see some Mayan history preferably a day trip.
Thanks
Posted By: Waterworld Re: Which Resort? - 08/10/03 05:32 PM
mustang6,

Please check out the reviews that banana beach got under About Ambergris Caye- :Topic -Banana beach resort?- That will tell the tail, lets not get side tracked here, some of us may get way too much sun. So ignore any competitive vibes. we just want to help visits as enjoyable as possible, right? from a tourists perspective.
Posted By: mobunny Re: Which Resort? - 08/10/03 06:03 PM
I also agree with Lan's review of Ramon's. I however, didn't think Ramon's was pricey for what we got, especially when I checked out prices in St. John - beachfront rooms over $400.00 a night and your not 25 feet from the water! BB gets so much airtime on this board I just wanted to let people know that Ramon's has alot to offer if that is the type of place you are looking for. I should add that there are many many nice places to stay on AC and you''l be sure to find on that suits your needs. cool mobunny
Posted By: seashell Re: Which Resort? - 08/10/03 07:27 PM
Victoria House is spectacular in comparison to most any of the many places I have toured and/or stayed in San Pedro/AC. There is a wide variety of accommodation types. I thought the loveliest were the room suites in the house at the south end of the property. That house has access to the whole grounds and the main pool (which is one of the nicer pools on the island), but it has it's own private pool too. The beach is lovely and kept quite clean. The grounds are very pretty and reminiscent of older BVI properties. It is quite expensive but things are all beautifully appointed, even in the smaller rooms.

Ramon's is more tropical in flavor, ala Gilligan's Island. It has lovely flowers and bushes all about. A very nice pool deck surrounding a small pool with an interesting shape. The beach is nice but well trafficked. It has one of the best docks, if not the best dock, of any of the resorts. If you chose Ramon's be sure to be guaranteed an ocean view room in the front of the complex. You will likely be unhappy if you find yourself in one of the units further back. I have not been in all of the rooms, but of the ones I have seen, they aren't all that for what you pay. INMSHO, you are paying for the ambiance and location.

I particularly like the location of Ramon's but given my druthers, I'd stay at Victoria House.

While Banana Beach is a nice property, I don't put it in the same category as Victoria House. If you do decide to look at Banana Beach as an alternate option, ensure that you will get one of the front suites with an ocean view.
Posted By: Waterworld Re: Which Resort? - 08/10/03 09:12 PM
Please listen to the tourists and gringos who dont live there and rather vacation there. Some people just want credit for sending us tourists to there resort since they know owners well. Read Read Read other posts which tell all about real time experiences that are recent, please. Its nice to be near by your place of stay for all sorts of reasons. Changing batteries in camera, charging cameras, changing cloths grabbing more cashola etc. Less taxi rides and all that stuff. If you want seclusion, well head north. you want to meet the islanders and get to know the area real good, wonder about when you feel like it, stay in town, right on the south side is by far the best location, all business matters aside.
Posted By: CorozalBayResort Re: Which Resort? - 08/10/03 10:14 PM
I live in Corozal Town in Northern Belize, and when we need a break from running our resort we go to San Pedro and stay at Ramon's. We stay in the seaview or gardenview rooms in the back. We think they are great, enough room, cold a/c, clean. The grounds at Ramons are spectacular. A waterfront jungle, kind of like a lost paradice. I love the pools shape. Great bar too. I love thatch roofs as mobunny said "very exotic" cool
Just my opinion. Have fun.
Doug Podzun www.corozalbayinn.com
Posted By: toad Re: Which Resort? - 08/10/03 10:32 PM
i stayed at VH....pimp.....

pool was great, rooms were nice, didnt eat there, bar was quiet, lizards were cool, thatched roof cabanas were not....we switched rooms....then everything was okay...however, i am a huge fan of the air conditioner...sitting under one right now......

i did not think it was far to town at all...we enjoyed the walk up the beach, another way to build up an appetite...

we just took the carts that were at the hotel....same carts, same price....

fun bar games...wished i would have bought one, now...
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Which Resort? - 08/10/03 10:53 PM
I recommend the Hideaway Hotel.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Which Resort? - 08/10/03 11:15 PM
Watch it, Bill. I got in trouble for suggesting HideAWay...... Guess who reported me.... our good friend Pedro. He did not like me then, now he loves me!

Ernie wink
Posted By: Waterworld Re: Which Resort? - 08/11/03 02:52 AM
I would say the hideaway as well. Room 13 has a bed and a bathroom.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Which Resort? - 08/11/03 03:24 AM
For all you temporary residents(i.e. Bill and Ernie) Hideaway has been closed for nearly three months and is going to be turned into 40 condos.Ernie I only like you because you owe me an inordinate amount of beers which increase daily.
Posted By: CorozalBayResort Re: Which Resort? - 08/11/03 04:51 AM
smile We stayed in the cabanas at Ramons and were never hot. I love the cold a/c but my wife is not an a/c fan and was freezing. Had to use the comforter from the second bed to sleep. Slept like a baby.
The trick is -> do not turn on the ceiling fans <- all the hot air is up there in the rafters and the fans push it down making the room hotter and not colder. cool
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Which Resort? - 08/11/03 08:42 AM
Ernie, you lucky dog!! PS. My next suggestion is the Barrier Reef Hotel. It is right on the main square across from Shirley's Rice and Beans.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Which Resort? - 08/11/03 07:20 PM
Bill - you must know the Barrier Reef was torn down a while ago as well. I did like staying there in years past. I should have bought it when I had the chance!!!
Posted By: mamacaps Re: Which Resort? - 08/18/03 03:41 PM
I just got back from a week stay at VH. It is by far the nicest hotel on the South end of the Island. It is not cheap but you get what you pay for. If you are looking for a top end resort this is where you should stay. The grounds are immaculate and the service is exceptional. Stay in the Plantation rooms, they are cooler than the cabanas. It is about a 15 minute bike ride to town, only a bit further than Banana Beach. Ramons looked nice too but I also heard the rooms were not as nice.
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID Re: Which Resort? - 08/18/03 04:10 PM
glad you enjoyed it. now does this mean you are hooked like the rest of us?
gay
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board