AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Laurie Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/28/04 03:19 AM
My boyfriend and I are trying to decide where to stay in May. This is our first trip to Belize. We have narrowed our choices down to Banana Beach Resort or Blue Tang Inn. We are looking for a place close to town with a beach to lounge on and swim. We would like an ocean front room. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/28/04 03:43 AM
Both are very nice but Blue Tang is much closer to town.
Posted By: Laurie Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/28/04 04:45 AM
Any other suggestions? I am not commited to either of these properties. I would however like to have a fridge in the room.
Take a look at Aqua Marina Suites. We didn't stay there but looked at them the last time we were down and they look very nice. All oceanfront, I believe. Nice pool with bar and right on the beach, in town, close to everything. I take a crowd so their one-bedroom suites are too small for us but, if the wife and I were going alone, I'd make them a definite try.

We have stayed at Banana Beach (and will this time, too) and really like it. Very nice rooms, great staff and facility. Rent a cart for the week and go whenever, wherever. Or just use the bicycles. You won't want to walk to town from there.

We've also stayed at Xanandu--very nice, a little closer to town than Banana Beach and a wonderful staff, great pool and nice beachfront. Free bikes. Pretty quiet, definitely not a party place but beautiful grounds and setting.
Posted By: DoubleE Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/28/04 06:01 PM
We stayed at BB last year and as everyone said great staff/rooms/and service but opted to stay in town this year at paradise villas. We did walk almost every night to and from town and had a blast hope you do too!!
Posted By: mobunny Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/28/04 06:22 PM
Check out The Palms. They have great package specials starting in May. http://belizepalms.com/packages.html Condo units, all beachfront,in town,with a pool. Right next to Ramon's beautiful beach. We are staying there this August. (Have not stayed there before but have heard great things about it) Have a great time no matter where you choose to stay. mobunny laugh
Posted By: Badco Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/28/04 07:01 PM
Blue Tang.
Posted By: egcntrk Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/28/04 08:19 PM
DoubleE: We, too, are going in May & planning to stay at Paradise Villa. Wondering how the snorkeling is off their pier & did you try the night snorkeling at Wet Willies's pier? Did you have access to a bbq gill at the villa? Oh, questions, questions! All help appreciated.
Posted By: JeanH Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/28/04 08:27 PM
We stayed at Blue Tang last June and had a wonderful time. No complaints at all. Next month we're staying at Belizean Reef. Other end of town, but still walking distance to everything. No pool at Belizean Reef though, if that's an issue. It's right next door to The Palms and at this time of year $30-40.00 per night cheaper.
Posted By: Laurie Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/28/04 11:06 PM
I am now seriously considering The Palms. They do have a great deal in May. Has anyone stayed there? Is it a good location (close to town, restaurants, nightlife?)
Posted By: Wayne-o Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/28/04 11:19 PM
cool Check out Mata Rocks,(next to Banana Beach)frig in all rooms, suites have microwave, all rooms have TV(satalite from NY)Best beach around,(others near town have too much bike or walking traffic in front of them),free bikes it is not far to any place you want to go, it is not like "town" is miles long we road (bikes) all the way to the north end to Journeys End, you can do this by beach-- the road is too bumpy.The Squrriels Nest bar at Mata Rocks is right on the beach.Staff is great.My wife and I will definetly go back to Mata Rocks we explored the others while we were there and feel we made the right choice.If you go snorkling ask for Jeffery,fishing ask for Bicho.
Posted By: DoubleE Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/28/04 11:22 PM
egcntrk, we will be staying there 3/15-3/22 this spring break so I will have to report back to ya after we return (Which I won't want to go) but would be happy to report about the trip. I hear the snorkling is good as some structures have been put in place to attract the fish. We did not srorkle at night except the one night returning from town and wound up in the water per 1am. We also have every day booked up and I will find out about the grill if you really want to Cook? Have a lot of fun!!
Posted By: Wayne-o Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/28/04 11:31 PM
Oh I forgot to mention all rooms have ocean views. Mata Rocks is not that large about 16 rooms which makes it more quite and relaxing,you will get to know the other guest better if you wish to do stuff with others--thats up to you. All your boating trips pick you up at Mata Rocks pier no need to travel for this.
Posted By: mobunny Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/29/04 12:14 AM
IMHO The Palms has a great location. Right by town, airport, all sorts of restaurants, nightlife, etc. Plus, from what I understand the units are very nicely furnished. mobunny cool
Posted By: Laurie Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/29/04 11:07 PM
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. We decided to go for The Palms. They are really offering a great deal in May. Now we just have to figure out our fishing trips!
Posted By: Laurie Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/29/04 11:19 PM
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. We decided to go for The Palms. They are really offering a great deal in May. Now we just have to figure out our fishing trips!
Posted By: egcntrk Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/29/04 11:41 PM
Thanks, Double E. Look forward to your report.

The tip on packing a soft side cooler with steaks was just too tempting to pass up. Bit spoiled 'cause we butcher our own beef & hubby cooks best rib eye in town. Now 'bout the cooking part: all I do is make a salad, french bread & park myself outside in view of the grill with drink in hand & watch him work. laugh
Posted By: mobunny Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/30/04 01:33 AM
Laurie, if you have not booked your room at the Palms yet, you should email Ana right away. They have a high occupancy rate. Have a great time and look forward to your report. mobunny cool
Posted By: Laurie Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/30/04 01:48 AM
I emailed Ana today. It looks like they have a suite available and I sent her back our information today. I can't wait to get to AC!
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/30/04 06:54 AM
Ana rules!
Posted By: mobunny Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/30/04 05:20 PM
Cool, Have a great trip! mobunny laugh
Posted By: Sam Scuba Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/31/04 05:31 PM
Laurie, You won't be disappointed by The Palms. My husband and I are headed down for the third time in late Feb. and stay at the palms each time. Last year we learned that the manager does underwater video for guests who request it (I'm sure there's a charge) and we intend to take him up on it this year. Ana and the other office staff have been wonderfully accommodating to us, and the housekeeping staff do a great job. Best of all, it has a perfect location--close enough to town to walk but far enough away to miss the noise. We have used Ramon's for our diving and love the staff there, but Ana will book you with any dive operation you prefer. Have a great trip.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 01/31/04 09:33 PM
Even is you stay at The Palms, I recommend you go eat at Banana Beach's El Divino Restaurant! Excellent food. Huevos Rancheros to die for!
Posted By: Sam Scuba Re: Banana Beach vs. Blue Tang Inn - 02/01/04 03:57 AM
Thanks Barbara for the El Divino review. We ate dinner there last year and enjoyed it very much. There's certainly no shortage of good food in San Pedro. I compiled a list from several posts of the recommended restaurants south of the cut, and I have 36 so far--way too many for one trip but a challenge for the years to come!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board