AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: rankintex snorkel@nite?,tow kids behind boat? - 03/12/04 01:21 AM
Hi,Coming this weekend.
Is it safe to snorkel@nite? Where? Just with a guide?
How about towing your kids behind a boat? Or is that like trolling for man-eating sharks?
Rankintex
Posted By: Phoenix East Re: snorkel@nite?,tow kids behind boat? - 03/12/04 01:26 AM
HMMMM........... snorkel at night? Maybe they can do that. I have never heard of anyone doing it, if you cant be seen you most certainly cant do it, I would say you stand a good chance of getting run over by a boat, as they have a hard enough time seeing you during the day if your doing it out on your own. You may be able to snorkel hol chan or shark ray alley at night. I am sure you can arrange a night DIVE, but as far as a night snorkel Ive never heard of that.
Posted By: klcman Re: snorkel@nite?,tow kids behind boat? - 03/12/04 02:20 AM
Of course you can snorkel Hol Chan at night - I've done it at least 3 different times of the years. Lil Alphonse has it on his website, as do others. Amazingly different world at night. cool
Posted By: Anonymous Re: snorkel@nite?,tow kids behind boat? - 03/12/04 02:29 AM
Yes, Protech often does it as well. Earlier this week, in fact.

Towing anyone behind a boat is OK if they're good swimmers, you don't go too quickly, and the boat captain knows what he's doing. We've done this as well.
Posted By: Phoenix East Re: snorkel@nite?,tow kids behind boat? - 03/12/04 02:40 AM
Snorkel at night, hmm, they go above the cut, or just stay to the north and south of the cut, Hol Chan meaning "the cut" and all, although the park is quite large, I guess yeh that would be cool even inside, just figure only divers did it at night, but thats cool. Like I said if they did do it it would be at Hol Chan or SRA.

He was kinda asking if he had to hire someone though or if he could go off and do it himself, the way it sounded to me anyway. Just clarifying ya know.

I can see why he would ask that, it would be nice to do just a private thing, just the fam, sounds good but its too busy on the island. He could get away with that on a more remote island.
Posted By: klcman Re: snorkel@nite?,tow kids behind boat? - 03/12/04 02:43 AM
Well, if he's towing behind a boat, he's with a guide wink
Posted By: Phoenix East Re: snorkel@nite?,tow kids behind boat? - 03/12/04 03:56 AM
Its actually 3 questions. The last question is if they do towing behind boats.
Posted By: klcman Re: snorkel@nite?,tow kids behind boat? - 03/12/04 05:38 AM
5 - but who's counting? wink
Posted By: Phoenix East Re: snorkel@nite?,tow kids behind boat? - 03/12/04 06:18 AM
Still, more than the one you originally answered. And really its 3, because 2 of the questions have sub parts!
Posted By: kerry Re: snorkel@nite?,tow kids behind boat? - 03/12/04 07:50 AM
i did a wonderful nite snorkel with fido's....i'm sure tony will hook you up!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: snorkel@nite?,tow kids behind boat? - 03/12/04 05:52 PM
This is getting a bit esoteric. If he has his own boat and wants to go off snorkelling "en famille" then there's nothing to stop him. Whether it's desirable or safe is secondary. Similarly if they want to snorkel off the beach. But if they want to go near the reef and don't have their own boat then they will have to go with a guide, which is where we came in.....

In case some readers don't know, there is no interesting snorkelling from the beach in or near San Pedro. There is also a boat hazard as there are no areas "off limits" to boats.
Posted By: rankintex Re: snorkel@nite?,tow kids behind boat? - 03/12/04 08:37 PM
Thank you all very much.
Sounds like nite snorkelling on deserted cay would be OK, or with guide on Hol Chan & SRA.
Towing behind sailboat would be OK out away from traffic. It was whether there were maneating sealife hazards that I didn't know about.
Posted By: Phoenix East Re: snorkel@nite?,tow kids behind boat? - 03/13/04 10:51 AM
Deserted caye?

There are great spots to snorkel, under BYC dock and romons dock as well as the shipping dock. Ive seen 5 foot eels under them docks, along with cudas that come in to feed during low tide. Sea horses, beautiful arrow crabs and tons of other stuff just under the docks alone. You can cayak to the reef and snorkel it if you have a rope or anchor with you.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board