AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: mikell fish story... - 04/25/04 03:03 PM
it was a thrill for this inexperienced fisherwoman to catch all those nice little snappers with capt. bicho out in the water off AC in february...

BUT...imagine my delight this morning when i caught my first coho salmon right off the pier in this Rochester NY suburb ...in Lake Ontario! just a small one...but a beauty nonetheless...and perfect eating size.

7:45 a.m....my 5th cast! thought i was snagged until i saw it jump out of the water...and surprised all the other fishermen out there who hadn't had any luck yet!

it's already fileted and in the fridge waiting for suppertime!

just had to do a little "bragging" here for all you avid fishers!! wink
Posted By: raskage Re: fish story... - 04/25/04 06:49 PM
woohoo!
now you're talking. congratulations.
my wife caught her first coho this summer, on her second cast. She kept catching them, usually handing me the rod cause they were hard to bring in, and she couldn't handle them. then she'd grab the rod and cast again. This summer, she learns to fly fish.
keep it up!!
Posted By: Angelo Re: fish story... - 04/25/04 09:42 PM
Way to go! You're making my mouth water. I normally return what I catch, but I would never throw back something as delicious as a Laker or Salmon.

Love fishing for Salmon and Lake Trout in Lake Ontario. I've been to Pulaski, Oswego and Kingston many times to charter and fish the river. They troll sometimes 100' deep for them out of Kingston and at that depth, it doesn't matter how small they are, they'll turn your arms into playdoh.

Just out of curiosity, what did you catch it on?
Posted By: mikell Re: fish story... - 04/25/04 10:11 PM
we use little cleos mostly...caught this one on a green & silver hammered...

we were surprised to get one off the pier (not that far west of oswego)...most have moved out into the deeper water in the last few weeks...won't be many more chances to catch them from shore! i was truly lucky!

and i just finished eating most of half a filet! won't even go there...or you'll surely be salivating!! smile
Posted By: goody2shuz Re: fish story... - 04/25/04 11:04 PM
Congrats...Mikell!!! Have to say, that the nearest thing to real fishing that I've ever experienced was going out with Capt. Bicho!!! Will cover the action in more detail in my next report!!!

Tom & I have been boating for over 17 years together off of Long Island, NY....and never got the fishing action & excitement that Capt. Bicho led us to!!! Glad you got to experience it again back home!!!...Goody
Posted By: stamiya Re: fish story... - 04/26/04 01:15 AM
Mikell - watch out...it's a very small step from catching those first few fishies to becomeing a fishin' fanatic like me! LOL! I started fishing as a "well he's doing it and I don't want to sit here in the cabin by myself" fish-wife (so to speak...) and now I'M the one who can't pass moving water without wanting to toss in a lure or two to see if anything's biting! I havn't started fly fishing in the swimming pool yet, but I suspect it's only a matter of time! the good news is, IMHO fishing is probably the best way to spend your time when you're not reading or drinking something with an umbrella in it on a beach. (the other good news is nobody cares how you look when you're out fishing - they're more interested in what you're fishing with or what you've caught!) Welcome to the wonderful world of fishing - where the eternal question of who's hooked, fish or fisherman, continues to mystify the uninitiated... Hah! laugh laugh
Posted By: Now Danny Re: fish story... - 04/26/04 11:57 AM
Good job Mikell. Thanks for sharing your story.
Posted By: captjeff Re: fish story... - 04/27/04 08:07 PM
spoke to capt bicho ..he told me to tell you go girl ..and you are hooked now
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board