AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: wherezwaldo Pica pica & mosquitos - 05/29/04 09:16 PM
We are going to AC forn the first time on 6/12. Is pica pica still a factor at this time and if so what can you do to prevent it? Same thing with mosquitos are they always and everywhere a nuisance? Any info will be appreciated! Thanks!
Posted By: myako Re: Pica pica & mosquitos - 05/31/04 06:58 PM
We had no problems with the pica pica. The mosquitos are around in certain spots but if you use Skintastic every day no problems.
Posted By: wherezwaldo Re: Pica pica & mosquitos - 05/31/04 07:40 PM
Thanks much!
Posted By: Elle Re: Pica pica & mosquitos - 06/01/04 06:08 PM
Just returned from AC (last night) Did two dives a day for the week and pica pica was DEFINITELY a problem. Many o fthe divers we spoke to or dove with had numerous stings. I was only hit two or three times, and that was with a full wet suit, hood and all exposed areas covered with Safe Sea lotion. The divemaster who owns the dive operation we were with refused to dive until they are gone. Good news is that the "Sea lice season" is only about 6 weeks long, and should be ending soon. Wear Safe Sea!

Originally posted by wherezwaldo:
We are going to AC forn the first time on 6/12. Is pica pica still a factor at this time and if so what can you do to prevent it? Same thing with mosquitos are they always and everywhere a nuisance? Any info will be appreciated! Thanks!
Posted By: wherezwaldo Re: Pica pica & mosquitos - 06/01/04 07:41 PM
Elle, thanks for the info! Do you have to be deep in the water or just in the water? We won't be scuba diving, but we will be snorkeling.
Posted By: BiggieFL Re: Pica pica & mosquitos - 06/01/04 07:51 PM
Man I hate rashes and seems that only divers are getting it. Heading down in 3 days and if still there, just gonna snorkel. Sea Safe helps but many still get it even though they are using it.
Posted By: kajonesy Re: Pica pica & mosquitos - 06/01/04 09:10 PM
I was there in May and got several itchy welts on my neck from the sea lice. I didn't snorkel but I did do several days of diving. I wore a shorty wet suit but the only place I was stung was on my neck. From what the divemaster told me and what I've read online since I've been home, the sea lice (larvae of the thimble jellyfish) float on the surface layers of the water, so as I was floating in the water before descending or waiting my turn to get back on the boat, they were stinging the exposed skin on my neck. I would think that since snorklers remain at the surface where the little buggers hang out, there's a high probability of getting stung (if they're still in the area). If you're interested, I found this website to be informative http://www.fau.edu/safe/sea-lice.html
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Pica pica & mosquitos - 06/01/04 10:16 PM
They call me the Pica Pica magnet. If it's any place I get it. We have had a very long season this year. There was a period of time when it was gone, then back, then gone. Yesterday the beach was littered with washed up Thimble Jellies. I'm hoping this was the death kneel!
NO - you are not safer snorkeling - they live mostly in the top 15' of water and drift from place to place.
Grease up - from scalp to toenails before you put your swimsuit on. Anyplace they get trapped they really eat you up. When I get hit I look like I am still wearing a spotted swim suit after I strip down. NOT FUN! And not funny either - so stop laughing.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board