AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Bride2B Wedding Paradise - 06/25/04 01:13 PM
Hi there. LOVE your message board. I've learned so much from all the other posters and have enjoyed the wedding photos that are still available to view. Went back to messages from 2001....then realized, some of that info. may have changed since your slice of Paradise is more and more popular!!

We'd like to get married May 2005 and will have around 40 people, mainly from Dallas and England, with scragglers from Australia and Belgium.

With all the lodging options available, we'll leave that part to the guests (with recommendations such as Banana Beach, Caribe Island, and the Capricorn rooms). BUT, I would like a reception after the "big day", accompanied with lots and lots o' rum and other drinkie-drinkies.

My questions:

1. Could Portofino, Capricorn, Mata Chica's or BC's accomodate around 50?

2. I see the email address on Portofino website, but wondering if any of YOU are actually affiliated with them? (would rather have a name to go with the random email that I'll send them...)

3. I see from all my lurking here that belizeweddings.com is highly recommended, Kay Scott is highly recommended, Will and Dale are highly recommended, Charlene at BC's bar can arrange a BBQ Belize style reception, and David Simpson is the man to have marry ya. And how could I forget the underwater team is recommended if you need a videographer. My question: Does Portofino or Mata Chica have an onsite coordinator other than Belizeweddings (I think that person has potential of getting pretty busy with all the recommendations!!)

4. If "boatride" is mentioned for getting to town...is it a MUST or is golfcart also an option?

5. If i wanted to bring white light Christmas lights (stop laughing)...is it the same outlet as in the U.S.? Would we need any type of adapter? Does someone on island already HAVE the white twinkle lights? (stop laughing)

6. Any Island construction going on we want to know about? (Read the "cemetary near hotel" posting...cracked me up. That would have been my luck to book a place near the cemetary....)

Thanks everyone!! Sorry to have added to the wedding posts.
Posted By: kimical Re: Wedding Paradise - 06/25/04 04:12 PM
We were married in May of this year at Ramon's Village. It was the best! If you have any other questions you are curious about--feel free to send me an email: [email protected]
Posted By: 4leafclover Re: Wedding Paradise - 06/25/04 04:49 PM
Wow~you are going to have quite the nice gathering here in Belize for your wedding! That's fantastic! If you have a group that wants an entire house, keep O'Farrell House in mind when giving out accomodation selections! thanks! Also Marty O'Farrell is you wedding video man! He does a fantastic job and works very well with Kay. Island construction is everywhere, but not a bother. You can buy all you bug sprays here on the Island, but when it's windy they aren't flying. I'd bring your x-mas lights to be safe. As well as any decorations you may want to put up. You can't get that stuff here(no Michael's)
There is a "floutist guy" that is increadible to have play during the ceremony. Capricorn & Mata Chica would be my recomendations for your reception, both could handle it fine. Just remember, if you're up north you need a boat or golf cart to come into town, could get pricy. Wherever your guests stay, they will find each other, it's a small town! Have a fantastic time planning it!!!
Posted By: FishingSanPedro Re: Wedding Paradise - 06/26/04 01:19 AM
There is only one boat that can comfortably accommodate a group of 45 here in Ambergris Cay. Lady Sharon is a 65 foot fast catamaran that picks up larger groups in Belize City and offers them a welcome cruise and departure cruise to and from Ambergris Caye for about the cost of the small planes or smaller ferry and all your luggage is with you the entire time so no waiting for luggage that could not fit on the small plane. They also offer wedding cruises and can coordinate decoration of the boat, appetizers, bar and photography. Also they can accommodate transportation for a large group to and from the south and north part of Ambergris Cay. The company is under Belize Water Sports and the e-mail is [email protected] Maybe they can help you considerably with a large group as far as your water transport needs.
Posted By: Bride2B Re: Wedding Paradise - 06/26/04 02:54 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback. Wow! Lady Sharon sounds like a definite possibility. I'll have to check into it. 4leaf, thanks for letting me know Capricorn could handle serving a party of 50. And I'll see what I can find on O'Farrell House. I'm sure some of our group would be interested. Thanks again. Looking forward to lirking on the site for the next year... wink
Posted By: alaurieb Re: Wedding Paradise - 06/28/04 09:36 PM
I just got back from 2 weeks on AC on Friday. We had our wedding/honeymoon. The first week we had 35 guests and the second week was just us. I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have about planning, etc. Just shoot me an e-mail.
[email protected]
Posted By: Elaine Re: Wedding Paradise - 06/29/04 05:26 AM
Our small private wedding on the beach was absolutely beautiful. It was an evening we shall never forget. If you haven't thought about the rehearsal dinner or reception dinner, Casa Picasso is where we went and it was great. Everyone pitched in to show a really marvelous time for our celebration.
Posted By: Bride2B Re: Wedding Paradise - 07/01/04 02:39 PM
Mo Bunny, Barbara K, and Marty.

Hi. :-) I was wondering if you guys could help me?

Barbara K, it looks like you're a travel agent for AC, yes? (can't remember why this is stuck in my head...but, it is...) Would love to talk to you about how you can help us (especially with the UK tickets!!!)

Mo Bunny, You have the best postings and pics. Let me know what you think of your hotel. Hope you have a wonderful time in AC. Hey, is there any way I could have a copy of your website's background? I'm getting an idea for our Save the Date. Thought your background was great.

Marty, do you have any website about your videography?

Thanks everyone!!! Still trying to decide if Belize and AC is where we want to end up. We're also looking at Bermuda and Turks and Caicos...but, personally, I'm still leaning toward Belize. I really need to just decide and get my Save the Date Cards out!!
Posted By: RobertE Re: Wedding Paradise - 07/01/04 03:32 PM
Bride2B,

In response to your reception question. All those places are great choices however I am biased towards BC's. It is nice little palapa style beach bar with the greatest and most attentive staff and owners who will bend over backwards for you. Charlene can accomodate you and has resources for things such as flowers, food and lots of rum. Did I say lots of rum? Just wanted to make sure there was no question on that !

I just had my 40th birthday celebration there and Charlene the owner pulled out all the stops. It isn't the fanciest place but the food, attention and level of service are beyond compare. Charlene's email is [email protected]

Be patient for a response as she is a busy woman.

Best wishes,

Robert
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: Wedding Paradise - 07/01/04 04:02 PM
Charlene is still trying to recover from last weekend. I heard she had a nice catering job at some resort Saturday night (I think it was a wedding reception or something), then had the BBQ on Sunday. Busy and tired I'd say.
Posted By: Chloe Re: Wedding Paradise - 07/01/04 04:16 PM
Hey Choo, did you leave all your money with Charlene?

I just know THE WEDDING was wonderful in San Pedro.

Obviously you and SWMBO survived.
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: Wedding Paradise - 07/01/04 04:37 PM
Chloe,

I left "most" of my money with Charlene, however the residue was spread far and wide among the eager merchants of San Pedro Town.

Next wedding will be September 25th. My bankruptcy hearing will be October 12th.

San Pedro was, as expected, wonderful. We'll be back the first two weeks of November with fresh credit cards. Think about it.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Wedding Paradise - 07/01/04 07:02 PM
Thank goodness I have all boys!

Bride2B - email me at [email protected] if you need help planning. Unfortunately, I do not get any discounts on air from the UK. There are plenty of Brits on this site though and there has been some discussion about flights/ UK agencies, etc. Try a search.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board