AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: fx1rider Royal Palm ???'s - 08/25/04 10:15 PM
Hello,
My best friend and I will be staying at Royal Palms the last week of Sept. and first week of Oct.

How long does it take to walk to town from there?

Also, i was looking at a map and we are close to Victoria House, Mata Rocks, Banana Beach, and Tropica Hotel - Does anyone have any good experiences from bars or restaurants at any of these since they will be close to where I am staying?

Oh, and any info on Royal Palms would be appreciated too, my first trip to belize, can't wait!

Thanks,
Kim
Posted By: captjeff Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/25/04 11:09 PM
fx1rider capt jeff just bought a condo there ,so here the skinny on the bars close by ,mata rocks nice bar on the beach ,serve some snacks but no real food ,nice people. next door banana beach very good food in rest open breakfeast /lunch dinner ,nice bar but it is in the rest. so mostly a night place very small . victoria house fancy ,place open breakfest lunch /dinner price some say on high side but first class..tropica closed and think to be torn down to make way for new condos ?? you also can walk to banyan bay nice bar and good classey eats sticks out on the water. nice atmosphere ... the capt jeff never walks to town not my thing I am golf cart guy.lots of great bars and food in town . royal palm very nice pool ,beach area has white sand the rooms vary as they are condos pvt.. owned and in a rentel pool ?? ??ok dock needs some work ,,not real good swimming in the ocean to much grass and stuff .. better to walk down to banyan bay for a swim in the ocean .. have fun go live the dream and enjoy ..
Posted By: fx1rider Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/25/04 11:13 PM
Capt jeff-
Where are your recommended drinking establishments? I travel alot and usually like to find the little treasures most places have to offer and stay clear of the "touristy" places.
Any recommendations?
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 12:37 AM
Squirel's Nest, next door, sounds like your kind of place.

Las Margaritas is also nice and fairly close.

Royal Palm has a great beach (best on the island) close by at Banyan Bay/Tropica (Mar de Tumbo) - about 100 yards to the north +/-.
Posted By: cajunman Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 12:41 AM
my recommended drinking establishment would be, hmmmm..... well.......I think..........let's just say the entirety of Ambergris Caye is my favorite drinking establishment.....just remember the tourists here are a little different than the tourists in Jamaica or Cancun or Cozumel.....so the "touristy places" are pretty good places to hang out.....the tourists are mostly people like the people you meet on this board....no buses of Japanese here with cameras and Hawaiian shirts.........no offense to any Japanese meant.........oh, and go to Casa Picasso for martinis.....
Posted By: fx1rider Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 01:21 AM
Well that is good news, about the type of tourists that is. I've been to costa rica and loved the out of the way places there. Thats is why i booked belize, people said if i liked costa i'll love belize.

Keep the drinking places coming....want to know all the secret little places.
Posted By: klcman Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 02:26 AM
Sandals
Posted By: Dallas Dave Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 02:43 AM
I like the Crazy Cannuks bar right up the beach from you. Don and Carol are very cool as is Rick the bartender. Also for a more laid back place..I'd go to Skinny's Hammock House, just north of the cut.
Posted By: fx1rider Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 02:51 AM
What about any laid back "hippie" type bars?
Posted By: fx1rider Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 03:03 AM
Capt Jeff-
since i will be there during the low season where do you think i can get the best rate on a golf cart? i think after throwing back a bunch that is the way to go too.

Thanks,
Kim
Posted By: klcman Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 04:58 AM
el paso, texas
Posted By: windyw Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 01:43 PM
Try Cholo's bar on the beach , in front of Amigos Del Mar dive shop. We rented one there in January and got a good price. Talk to Dreddi, he will fix you up.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 02:09 PM
fx1 here is the guy I use all the time get a gas cart ,call cholos golf cart ask for cholo he is the boss tel# 2062406 tell him you want the capt jeff real deal.. , but you can shop around , but he just got in new carts real nice I like gas carts ,better then electric .as for bars there are a ton of very nice bars..you could stay drunk all week day and night and not see them all there are plenty ... a must do the sun bbq great eats and drinks at b/c bar on the beach next to sun breeze hotel starts around 1 pm ,then go to north to the palaypa bar across the cut sun afternoon after 4 pm nice place good music,from a local ,dennis wolfe ,just super ,,then after go to hammock house right at the cut for the eve ,just bring a non drinking driver or take a cab home and pick up your cart on monday !!!!!!!!!!!!! very important as so you can have a safe trip here note the list I shared with you are great, local bars ,not hippie bars ????see if they are you ???.... p.s always lock your golf cart ... enjoy and live the dream ...
Posted By: fx1rider Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 04:48 PM
Windyw-
Thanks for the advice i will definitely find Dreddi - better than most???? or just average for the area????

thanks
Posted By: fx1rider Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 04:55 PM
Thanks Capt-
wrote down cholo's number, i will try and get ahold of him before i get down there and will definitely do the sunday plan you have listed above, glad to know i can lock the cart and taxi back to room, and i sure the local bars are laid back enough, just wouldn't mind having a few brews with some upstanding "legalize it" friendly folks. You have been a great help!
Posted By: Aeriel Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 05:54 PM
I've been to Costa Rica. It's nice but Ambergris Caye is much nicer! You can't compare the two.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 05:58 PM
They are all hippie bars.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 06:11 PM
Barb, are you suggesting that I am a hippie ?

Ernie
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 06:39 PM
if da cap fit, let 'em wear it (to quote the great Bob Marley) wink :p laugh
Posted By: captjeff Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 06:40 PM
the capt jeff in his youth tried to be hippie ,thought I could get lucky with the girls being a hippie ,then I discoverd how to make money ,liked that even better .!!!!!!! now I try to do both ..
Posted By: Tom Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 06:59 PM
My suggestion is to just walk the beach to town and stop off at all the places along the way. Let us know which ones you liked when you get back.

I do like the Crazy Canuck Bar but that of course is home to me as that is where our condo is and are really close to a drink at anytime we feel the need. However my second place where you will also find me very often is BC's.
Kat
Posted By: captjeff Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 07:00 PM
no ,no no ,but with money it makes finding a woman ,a lot easier .. the capt likes to show them a good time and treat them nice,, I like living the dream first class.!!!!!
Posted By: fx1rider Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 07:23 PM
I completely agree, money allows you to have the freedom to enjoy relishing in your hippieness!

upstanding & laid back, is there a better combo?

all the suggestions have been great, i am taking a journal and when i get back will post what i thought about the bars.

hope i like the belikin, i'm from the pacific northwest and we have the best beer in the country here and i'm not a light beer fan, no bud, coors, etc....mctarnahans amber, ambers, reds, stouts, porters!!!!!
Posted By: streetchie Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 07:32 PM
Gotta hit Mango's in town. Good live music on occassion and totally laid back. I always bring a cooler north of the cut, have my wife drive and stop in the shade every so often for a Belikin. Hammock House for sunset and more beer.
Posted By: streetchie Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 07:34 PM
fx1rider, try the Belikin Stout. You'll love it.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 07:44 PM
You can also get Guinness but that's about it for the darker beers.

Drink Rum!
Posted By: taters & dab Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 07:45 PM
I think you'll like Belikin Beer. I suggest you try the Belikin Primo or their Stout. It is really good stout and coming from a tropical area where most beers are light it is surprising. I like the Primo 'cause it has a full taste plus it's in a bigger bottle. I know good beers too. I live in Montana and we brew some pretty good beer here. I also brew my own. Good porters and other hearty ales.
Posted By: fx1rider Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 07:48 PM
great, didn't know they had a stout, the primo sounds like it will work too, guess i'll have a case of each waiting for me when i get there!!!

Taters & Dab - fave from your area, moosedrool, i get that here but its spendy for a six pack, about 7.50.
Posted By: taters & dab Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 08:09 PM
I like the Bayern Beers, their Pilsner, Trout Slayer Ale and their seasonal, Octoberfest, they had a great Maybier this year too. Moosedrool is a great brown ale. We pay about $6.75 per 6 also. Guess youhave to pay for quality
Posted By: osheydinger Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 09:01 PM
fx1rider - check out this review of Belikin beers for more info:

http://www.realbeer.com/nmvbp/rev_belz.htm
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 09:19 PM
Johnboy where are you to recommend the Squirrels Nest Bar at Mata Rocks? You must be sleepin'.

fx1rider: drink panty rippers.
Posted By: fx1rider Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/26/04 11:38 PM
Malibu-
why do you say that about squirrels nest?

I've heard about the panty rippers and will be sure to down lots of those too.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/27/04 12:19 AM
fx 1 , I just looked at your bio. Now I understand your questions. :rolleyes:
Posted By: Gela Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/27/04 12:38 AM
Take note fx1rider - the Squirrels Nest Bar closes at 9:00pm each evening - so you can start there and work your way up to town hitting The bar at Banana Beach, Crazy Canucks, Coconuts, BCs, Fido's, The Tides, etc..

I am envious of your quest. laugh
Posted By: fx1rider Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/27/04 02:02 AM
immissing-are you making reference to the "engineer" or the "pnw"? i am a lady engineer so that could be all the questions, me and my "A" type personality smile

Thanks for the tip Gela, we are right next to the squirrels nest bar so that will probably end up being more of a day thing, then we'll head to town at night.

whats the male to female ration hangin' around san pedro?
Posted By: Gela Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/27/04 04:18 AM
fx1rider - I, being a single female (in my 5 trips to AC), have always found the "mix" of people to be interesting, entertaining and worth coming back for more laugh

You should have a good time - without a doubt.

BTW - I am about to embark on my first trip up the coast of California to Portland - where in the pnw do you live?
Posted By: fx1rider Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/27/04 06:12 AM
I live 10 to 15 minutes from Portland.
How long you staying?
Would dig showing you around the cool places as there are soooo many in Portland, has to be one of the coolest cities in the u.s.

when will you be hitting portland? I'm laid off right now, would be cool to show the sights of the city off.
Posted By: Johnboy Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/27/04 03:10 PM
Malibu, I've been kinda busy the last few days( getting funds together for a future AC trip--lol)so havn't been on the board much....You know I never miss an opportunity to recommend MataRocks & The Squirrels Nest....I just don't think they can be beat..... laugh wink :p
Posted By: Gela Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/27/04 04:27 PM
fx1rider - I arrive in Portland, with my former boss and his wife on Wednesday, September 22. We stay 2 nights at the Benson Hotel and then we take the Amtrak Coast Starlite back to San Jose, CA. Perhaps we could connect - we're trying to figure out what to do for our partial day on Wednesday (we're driving in from Lincoln City) and Thursday. I'll use the board's feature to email you to discuss. laugh
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/27/04 06:41 PM
Just for the record...Tropica is NOT closed.
Posted By: USNA73 Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/27/04 07:06 PM
Maybe, after throwing back a bunch, taxi and walking might be a better bet? laugh
Taxis are a much cheaper way to go than golf cart anyway. And Kat's suggestion to walk the beach is great. We did it every night. Taxi into town for dinner, walk the beach back and hit all the bars. As the good capt. says, we were "livin' the dream". cool
Posted By: fx1rider Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/27/04 07:58 PM
Gela-
Going camping this weekend just about to head out, i will catch you on the board next week, would love to have drinks so you could share all your Belize info w/my best friend and I.
ttys
Posted By: Gela Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/27/04 08:47 PM
Kim - have a great weekend! Will reconnect next week.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/30/04 04:17 PM
barbara last time down august .. passed by tropcia no one there on the beach as I was walking by ,asked a person whats up ,, ??and he said that he heard it was taken over by the bank and going to be torn down, to make way for new condo's ..guess thats how rumor's start ??? ..sorry ...
Posted By: Marty Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/31/04 01:48 AM
I just heard from Gary at Tropica, Tropica is OPEN!
Posted By: fx1rider Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/31/04 03:09 AM
Capt Jeff-
Royal Palm has us booked in 11A and 8C, what can you tell me about the location of those units?

Thanks,
Kim
Posted By: captjeff Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 08/31/04 10:16 PM
well, 11a is non ocean view or pool view ,but 8c has some ocean view ,but call and get a floor plan .. the nicer units I think?? are are around the pool that complex is u shaped .and most have pool and or ocean view .hope that helped ????or call me at work 1 800 231 7447 ask for capt jeff will try to explan better ..
Posted By: fx1rider Re: Royal Palm ???'s - 09/01/04 01:53 AM
well now they emailed me back and said instead of changing rooms i will be in 8c which she is the building "nearest to the sea" is how she put it. so i'm cool w/that, we don't have to change rooms now!

Capt. Jeff,
I'm going to write your number down so i have it for any other questions, you seem to definitely know your belizean sh**t.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board