AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Aeriel night beach walking - 09/03/04 07:32 PM
I'm trying to figure something out. On our past vacations, to various areas, we have always been told not to walk on the beaches at night. It's unsafe.
Reading trip reports and posts, many are saying that they walk the beaches at night. Others say that it is o.k., but to be aware of your surroundings. Still others say that they were "three sheets to the wind" when they walked at night. (They can't be very aware of their surroundings.)
Even driving a golf cart - how safe can that be? What protection would a golf cart give if someone decided to jack/rob you?
The roads are very lonely - even in the day - I think that I would prefer walking along the water. More people, etc.
So, which is it? Safe or unsafe?
I couldn't find an answer to this when doing a search.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: night beach walking - 09/03/04 07:54 PM
Aeriel

I want to start out by saying that I do not live on AC, only an infrequent visitor. From everything I have read in their local paper the crime rate is up. Your question is very difficult to answer because what you might consider 'safe', somebody else might see as not safe or visa-versa. Do I think you are going to be shot while visiting? No. The likelyhood of something happening to you is very slim if you take precautions that you would take visiting anywhere: do not go somewhere by yourself, pay attention to the people around you and to what is going on around you, if you see some unsavory characters hanging around tell somebody or leave (making sure they do not follow you). I would hazard to say, in my 'I don't live there' view that you don't have anything to worry about. Ambergris Caye is not full of the crowds you have at some other Carrib. destinations so this, I believe, makes it a bit safer.

I can say that when we were there in July, we did not physically see any 'bad' people but then we were mostly looking at the beautiful views.

We DID walk on the beaches at night but we stayed on the North end where there isn't much activity at night. Many others on this board say they frequently walk the beaches at night and the only thing they worry about is bumping into a palm tree or having a coconut fall on their head.

BTW the roads are not lonely, especially in the day. How long has it been since you have been to AC?

My overall rating for myself is SAFE.
Posted By: whotsyface Re: night beach walking - 09/03/04 07:55 PM
I've walked the beach at midnight with my Fiancee and another female friend many times while down there. Never a problem. We did the walk both 3 sheets to the wind and sober.I'm sure muggings happen and that you can find posts on that. I wouldn't worry about it. I keep and Eye out and look back every now and again. There are other people walking the beach as well, locals and tourists. Just stay aware and everything should be fine. If there are any problems scream! There are houses and hotels along the water....

If your worried just walk up one street from the beach. Same thing you can scream and some one will here you.

Like I told my dad when he was worried about going to Italy because of terrorist threats.... " It's either going to happen or it won't and I'd weigh in the favor of nothing happening, don't worry about it, Have fun on your trip"

Carry a bottle of Belikin in your back pocket... I'd bet it's better than a blackjack against someones head those bottles are so thick!!!

Don't worry! just keep an eye out! Everything will be fine and your going to have a good trip!
Posted By: Aeriel Re: night beach walking - 09/03/04 08:46 PM
I was last in Ac in 2000. I found the roads (to the south) lonely. Also stretches of road past the cut, to the North, lonely.
We will be staying at Banana Beach. I understand that some of the road is by the lagoon. If it is the way that I remember, it has a lonely stretch.
Because we are near retirement age, someone could think that we are easy prey. We are not!
No, I don't think that anyone would shoot us. But, I do want to know what is safe and what is not.
By the way, last time that we were in AC we walked the beach/road at night. But times are different, places change. That is why I asked.
Posted By: streetchie Re: night beach walking - 09/03/04 09:16 PM
Some of you may remember my post from a few weeks ago about a beach mugging. Crime is definitely an issue in SP. I've never had a problem, but it is very important to be aware of your surroundings. To put a positive spin on it,...if SP were easy to get to and crime free, there would probably be a McDonalds and a Planet Hollywood on Front St.
Posted By: JeffB in Houston Re: night beach walking - 09/03/04 09:34 PM
I was just in SP for the first time almost a couple of weeks ago and had no problems or issues anywhere around. I did not go anywhere alone and would not suggest doing that anywhere. I didn't walk on the beach at night and wouldn't suggest doing so - it just doesn't make good common sense.

The only thing we found were some strange natives on Front Street at night - but very nice. We rented a cart and had been warned in advance that it can be common for mirrors or anything loose on your cart might disappear - so don't leave anything. We had no mirrors to begin with so no mirrors disappeared! The locals know you are visiting and will try to "help" you - but just act like you know where you are and what you are doing and you'll be fine. Never walk alone.

Go and have a great time!! I can't wait to go back.
Posted By: Everglades Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 12:57 AM
You may want to consider carrying MACE at night. Just don't pack it in your carry-on luggage.
Posted By: seashell Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 01:35 AM
Good grief!! Mace . . sheesh, I hope that is a joke.

If you are that worried about such things, carry a whistle with you on a string around your neck. That way you can quickly draw far more attention to yourself than any attacker would wish for. Not to mention scaring the bejeezus out of him. Another thing that you can do if someone decides to try and rob you, assuming you don't have a whistle (or mace), start screaming "fire" at the top of your lungs. While not many may pay as much attention when you scream for help, most everyone will rally for a fire.

Don't carry all of your money with you, don't wear expensive jewelry and always look like you know where you are going. If you don't act like a victim, chances are you won't become one.
Posted By: Everglades Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 03:02 AM
Sorry seashall, I'm dead serious. Being held up is no joke. I'll leave the whistle to you.

"If you don't act like a victim, chances are you won't become one."

How does one act like a victim when walking (any)beach at night, with one's lady friend?

Case in point, a young man and his 18 year old date were attacked on a Florida Beach at night by two thugs. She was raped and he was beat up and forced to watch the rape. Incidently, the beaches here are 100 yds wide, very unlikely anyone would even hear a whistle.
Posted By: seashell Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 03:23 AM
We are talking about San Pedro, not a Florida Beach.

As for not acting like a victim, that merely means that you walk with authority and/or an alert air about you.

For example, also not in San Pedro, but when walking to your car in a parkade especially at night, first you look around, then keeping alert, you walk briskly to your vehicle, shoulders back, strong stride, keys at the ready, nothing in your hands or arms to impede you in a struggle. On the other hand, if you walk into the parkade, hesitate, looking frail and scared, you might look like an easy target.
Posted By: Everglades Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 03:45 AM
Oh, that's right, No thugs in San Padro.

"first you look around, then keeping alert, you walk briskly to your vehicle, shoulders back, strong stride, keys at the ready, nothing in your hands or arms to impede you in a struggle. On the other hand, if you walk into the parkade, hesitate, looking frail and scared, you might look like an easy target."

Yeah, that should work real well. Especially if keep your shoulders back.
That should scare off a drug addict needing a fix.
Posted By: seashell Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 04:32 AM
If you are that worried about it, stay off the beach at night. Easy enough to do.

If you want to walk on the beach at night with your honey, then stay aware of your surroundings. If you don't want to carry a whistle, then get one of those little personal alarms and keep it in your hand, pocket or on a belt loop. They can usually be picked up at luggage stores and don't cost all that much.

By the way, my advice is the standard safety advice given by police and safety experts to people walking alone whether that be in a parkade or on a street. One other piece of advice that generally comes with it, is if you are concerned about someone in your vicinity, cross to the other side of the street to see if they follow you. Well, you can't very well do that on the beach. However, if you do encounter someone on the beach during your walk, and you get a bad feeling, trust your instincts.

At this point in time, I'm making these suggestions to anyone else that is interested. Obviously, you will not be going onto the beach in the evenings.
Posted By: Everglades Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 05:30 AM
seashell, Why would I let the remote chance of encountering some jerk on the beach keep from enjoying an evening walk on the beach??
I rather carry mace and enjoy the evening. And another thing, who said anything about being worried?
What's your hang-up with mace anyway? It stays in your pocket if not needed.
Works better than "keeping your shoulders back while talking strong strides".
Get real.
Posted By: seashell Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 05:42 AM
You've lost that loving feeling. smile

About the last thing I want to be taking with me on holiday is a can of mace. And since even you are now saying the chance of encounter is remote, then carrying mace seems more than a bit of overkill.

By the way, there are also lessons on how to use mace effectively. Are you aware of them, by chance? If so, then when you recommend that people carry, you should also supply those recommendations for its correct application/use, should it become necessary to do so. Or at a minimum, caution those you are recommending to carry to also learn how to use it effectively.

Hey Jesse, you might want to delete a bit of this particular thread. wink
Posted By: seashell Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 08:13 AM
By the way, I'd just like to add that I was kinda kidding about the whistle. wink
Posted By: USNA73 Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 02:30 PM
The walk back to BB from town was always interesting for us. Stopping at the various bars along the way made it a lot of fun. Never any problems. Met a lot of other couples and singles doing the same thing. We would recommend a good pocket flashlight - one for each walker.
In addition to being a safety feature, these were especially helpful to keep those coconut trees from jumping out in front of you...ouch... cool
Posted By: bywarren Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 02:54 PM
I wonder what seashell thinks of me walking the beach with my two pearl handled 45 colt revolvers straped on my waist and my assault rifle slung over my one shoulder with my bandolier of grenades over the other?

I have never had a problem. I have no idea what these people think they have to be afraid of. laugh

PS: I almost forgot the most important of all, my pen light and whistle hung around my neck.

PPS: "Don't carry all of your money with you, don't wear expensive jewelry and always look like you know where you are going. If you don't act like a victim, chances are you won't become one."

Good advice, don't want anyone to think I am not listening to seashell. Most of you probably didn't know the criminals, whoops, soon to be criminals if caught and convicted, are more intellegent than some might think. They know when you are carrying all of your money and are experts at identifying expensive jewelry and can tell from a block away on any dark night whether you are wearing expensive, inexpensive or any jewelry. And, be sure when walking the beach you act like you know if you are walking to or from town. :p And if you have not been a victim, be sure you don't wear the "I am a victim" tee shirt and act like one. And be sure if you choose to carry mace, that you take the course that teaches you to point it at the person you want to deter and not at yourself.

And, why delete any part of this thread. It is a prime example of all the good advice you can get from this board. After all, is that not what it is for? :rolleyes:
Posted By: Aeriel Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 04:24 PM
Hey bywarren. Don't forget your machette. laugh
Posted By: ronmyway Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 04:33 PM
Ouch! I think I threw out my back when I was practicing throwing my shoulders back...
Posted By: bywarren Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 04:50 PM
No, Aeriel the anti-machete and the machete control advocates have convinced me that a machete can injure and kill people. I will stick with my previously described deterrents. smile
Posted By: Wikkie & Guy Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 05:27 PM
I also think that "using do care" & "being alert" (for other fun people) is the best idea. I like the idea of carrying a belikin in your pocket,but I'd use it as a friendly offer,rather then a weapon. ( If I can get"my guy" not to drink it himself. laugh
Posted By: seashell Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 05:45 PM
As for not carrying all of your money with you, that was merely so that you'd have some left to enjoy your vacation with after you've been robbed. smile

As for the robber knowing how much money you are carrying, mayhap he was having a drink at the bar earlier and saw you take that $400 wad out of your pocket to pay for a $5 drink.

Aeriel, as for a machette, maybe bywarren will be able to disarm the robber and then bywarren will have one of those too.

And you well know bywarren, that I think you are overdressed. Surely one gunbelt would be enough of a fashion accessory.
Posted By: seashell Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 05:45 PM
Mace, good grief.
Posted By: seashell Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 06:33 PM
If you carry the personal defense spray in your hand, it's already drawn and read to go.
If you draw it from a bag, purse, or pocket, you may need your reaction hand to turn it in your weapon hand so that the spray nozzle is pointed in the right direction. You should also practice being able to tell by feel which is the front, so you don't accidentally spray yourself.
If the robber is practically on top of you, you may need to move into a position that unfortunately lets the assailant see that you have the mace.
Bring your mace up tight against your side next to your chest and rib cage. Your thumb on the actuator the nozzle pointing toward the assailant. Your other hand and arm are shoved out in front of you to keep the assailant at least at arm's length as you spray. You should also be in a wide and deep pyramid base foot position , with your weapon foot to the rear.
This loaded position is primarliy a means of protecting the mace from being grabbed while you spray, since you are keeping the assailant back with your other hand/arm. If you find yourself forced into the loaded position you should be actively spraying, since you've now shown the assailant what you have. This could provide him with a means of countering your defense, especially if you have allowed him close enough that he could knock you down.

If your attacker is far enough away that he can't grab your extended hand, shove your weapon hand out at shoulder height. The extra distance will help protect you from getting the spray blown back if there's any wind. Keep both of your eyes open, spray directly toward the subject's face. If the agreesion continues, continue spraying. If you are using mace that comes out in a cone of mist, creating a curtain of mist which your attacker must penetrate to reach you, don't advance into the mist after firing. Move to one side or the other to avoid firing directly into the wind. If some mist blows back at you, it will annoy you but shouldn't incapacitate you. Then run away.

But if you are facing the guy and not able to get away, shove your other hand/arm straight out to protect your mace holding hand. Both your arms are extended straight out and your eyes are open so you don't lose sight of your target.

Mace must be sprayed directly at the attacker, either blanketing his face in a mist or coating his face with a stream or burst. Your targets are the asssilant's mouth, nose and eyes.
When the subject is closing in on you, he won't just move toward you in a straight line. A study of the dynamics of assault reveals than at attacker does a lot of bobbing and weaving to get past your defenses. This means that the assailant's face, which is the only target for the spray, is moving around a lot. Experience with police has shown us that hitting the target without training is more difficult than you might imagine.

Hitting the face, can be done if you're using proper spray pattersn. All of the spray patterns start frome either the loaded or firing position. The secret of spraying the attacker is that whereever his face goes, the spray goes.

There are five spray patterns to learn. These were developed when discovered in training police that, without the development of specific set of psychomotor skills, the effectiveness of use of the product under stress was lowered.

horizontal sweep, vertical sweep, vertical sweep serpentine, circular sweep, criss-cross sweep.

After being trained in its use, you should practice your skill tecniques on a daily basis for a minute or so until you're comfortable with the techniques.

It is critical that you check the manufacturer's instructions regarding treatment after the subject is sprayed. In general, if you inadvertently spray yourself or someone else, the symptoms can be releived by: flushing the eyes with clear cool water, exposing the face and body to flowing air, washing hair, face, and hands with saod and cold water and changing clothing.

Left untreated, the effects should go away in 15 to 45 minutes. If the effects last longer than this, consult a doctor.
Posted By: NYgal Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 06:40 PM
Don't walk on the beach after dark......eom wink
Posted By: bywarren Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 11:06 PM
Seashell, you honestly crack me up. I bet if they offered a semester long course on how to open a beer bottle, you would be the first to sign up. smile
Posted By: seashell Re: night beach walking - 09/04/04 11:38 PM
LOL, heck if you can't understand dry over the top humor, that's not my problem. By the way, I'd be more likely to give the class than take it.

(Mace, good grief.)
Posted By: bywarren Re: night beach walking - 09/05/04 12:06 AM
I understand the humor. I am dating myself now. My picture is from my high school year book. I am actually a little older than I look. But, it must have been someone like you that inspired the George Burns Gracie Allen show or the character that Goldie Hawn played on the Rowan and Martin Laugh In Show. :p
Posted By: seashell Re: night beach walking - 09/05/04 12:20 AM
Funny.

(mace, good grief)
Posted By: seashell Re: night beach walking - 09/05/04 12:21 AM
Oh wait, oh wait . . . I'm telling.

Jesse, Jesseee, by just insulted me. (wicked grin)

(mace, good grief)
Posted By: Everglades Re: night beach walking - 09/05/04 01:03 AM
Fess up seashell, you really like mace, don't you?
I can tell because of your depth of knowledge and your inspiring instructions on its proper use.

You know, your instructions can be applied to the proper use of RAID Ant and Roach spray as well. I'm sure there are those travelers that may occasionally have a need to use that product but are not aware of just how to go about it.
Its hard not to like a caring person like you. You're OKAY in my book.
Posted By: NYgal Re: night beach walking - 09/05/04 01:08 AM
I carry that every time I travel.....critters ya know. The room gets a fog every night smile
Posted By: seashell Re: night beach walking - 09/05/04 01:14 AM
Don't walk into the cloud.

(mace, good grief)
Posted By: seashell Re: night beach walking - 09/05/04 01:18 AM
You're OK in my book too Everglades. Can't wait until you tell me all about how you held off a drug-crazed assailant with that mace stuff and accidentally shot him in the knees instead of his face. And he then grabbed the can from you and gave you worse than you'd have had, just giving up your wallet in the first place.

Better not stop to kiss your honey on the beach, ya gotta have that mace ready.

(mace, good grief)
Posted By: Everglades Re: night beach walking - 09/05/04 01:41 AM
"Better not stop to kiss your honey on the beach, ya gotta have that mace ready."

Funny, you mention that seashell, when I do kiss my honey (on the lips, not the beach) I have a mace in each hand just in case.

After reading your instructions (all 780 words) there is no way I'd hit that bad man in the knees and not between the eyes. However, once I missed the eyes and hit the bad man in his open mouth. And you know what he mumbled? "mace, good grief."

That wasn't you, was it?
Posted By: seashell Re: night beach walking - 09/05/04 01:46 AM
Hey, you are the guy that seems to think you need to take a can of mace to San Pedro, so you can enjoy your walk with your honey on the beach at night. Fill yer boots, fer all I care. Just watch out for the breeze off the beach, that blow back can really be a b*tch.

You counted the words? LOL.

Too funny.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: night beach walking - 09/05/04 02:30 AM
Just shoot the SOB.
Posted By: seashell Re: night beach walking - 09/05/04 02:34 AM
With what? bywarren's 45s or the mace?

(good grief)
Posted By: Everglades Re: night beach walking - 09/05/04 02:36 AM
Gotta go seashell, Frances is shaking our shutters.
Posted By: NYgal Re: night beach walking - 09/05/04 02:41 AM
Use MACE on Frances.... smile Be safe.
Posted By: seashell Re: night beach walking - 09/05/04 03:04 AM
Best wishes to you and yours Everglades.
Posted By: Catatonic Motivator Re: night beach walking - 09/05/04 09:13 PM
I found seashell's instructional prose to be incredibly sexist. Are we to assume that all attackers will be 'hims'?

I almost always carry my mace. There's nothing like a shield or head-cracking spiked metal ball at the end of a long shaft to keep the beach baddies at bay. When carrying it at night on the beach, I tend to twirl mine like a baton, occasionally switching hands (mace to replace Belikin, Belikin to replace mace) to prove to any would-be attackers that I'm equally proficient with medieval weaponry--and a cold beer--in either hand.

I've never had a problem walking the beach at night at all...but I have, on occasion, observed a well-armed, bandolier-brandishing older gentleman providing some sort of instruction to local gangsta' wanna-bes on dodging the cone of what appears to be an aerosol spray. I generally give him a wide berth, just to be safe.
Posted By: Now Danny Re: night beach walking - 09/06/04 02:56 PM
cool I think advice is usually worth what you pay for it :p
Posted By: meg Re: night beach walking - 09/07/04 03:15 PM
I was attacked on the beach once.... by a dog that spotted me from a mile away, and b-lined it straight for my leg and started humpin.... No joke. I still have nightmares.
Posted By: DrewLori Re: night beach walking - 09/07/04 03:50 PM
meg- I just checked out your website. You have a beautiful home on AC. How far North are you of Journeys End?
Posted By: collyk Re: night beach walking - 09/07/04 09:43 PM
greetings from windswept St. Simons Island Georgia where I am currently visiting family and hosting Frances's uninvited visit...

All I can say is that I have travelled extensively..I have lived in some really nasty urban areas (the last place I lived before where I live now was called Murder Mile by the national press). I have never carried a weapon. Mace and pepper spray are illegal in the UK where I live, so there is no point anyway. I travel alone at night on public transport, walk when I want and where I want. I have never been mugged although I think a few people have tried but having been ignored, they moved on to easier targets. Let's get things into perspective. I totally agree with those who state that you shouldn't behave like a victim. Anyone who walks around flashing cash, expensive jewellery and equipment or who behaves nervously sets themselves apart easily as potential victims. It has been demonstrated many times that behaviour is the key to avoiding crime. If you don't think you can walk in a relaxed fashion in certain parts of town, don't go there! I have been visiting Georgia for a week so far and spent an evening with a friend who dives and has been to Belize. I could not believe her attitude which was. Stay on a live aboard, do not leave your hotel or go anywhere at any time in Belize as you will be mugged. Given that she looks like a tourist, acts like a tourist and basically should be walking around with a huge neon flag saying 'I am a dumb tourist' I am not surprised. Sadly, while she is well travelled as a diver, she knows nothing about the word as she never actually spends any time getting to know a place because she is so frightened. Of course there are psychos who will get you anywhere you go for no reason at all, but it does not matter where you are as these people can pop up anywhere. I am coming to Belize in Feb. From what I have read on a number of boards and through email correspondence with locals, Belize is a damned sight safer than where I live in London. I won't carry weapons, I won't worry about being mugged, raped, tortured, murdered, mutilated, kidnapped, extorted or anything else. I will walk at night sensibly in areas that I know it is safe and I will have a great relaxing time. Thieves and opportunists are everywhere and while I have very little spiritual faith, I do believe that if you put ideas and worries out there, they will come back to haunt you!
Posted By: seashell Re: night beach walking - 09/08/04 06:40 AM
Applause.
Posted By: Bobber Re: night beach walking - 09/08/04 01:34 PM
Amen to you. Situational awareness is very important, and keeping yourself from becoming a victim is the same as you would do for keeping your car or house secure. Simply make someone or something else an easier target. As far as weapons, they are all around. A handful of sand in the face is a great deterrent if the perp doesn't have a gun. If you are confronted, split up. Yell, make a fuss, make it more work than the person or persons are willing to go through for a quick hit. On the other hand, don't go into shock but evaluate the situation, as there are those which would dictate calmly handing over whatever you need to. Money is only money, your life is more important. Life is too short to walk around in fear of what might happen.
Posted By: meg Re: night beach walking - 09/08/04 02:13 PM
DrewLori-
Thank you so much! My parent's home is 1/2 mile north of Journey's End...so a total of 4.5 miles north of town.
Meg
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board