AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: jfabes dive operators on AC - 01/02/05 04:09 AM
Hello everyone. I havent been to belize yet but do plan on visiting and doing a little research.

how strict are the dive operators on AC? I was certified in 98 and havent dove since. I plan on taking a refresher course before I head to AC but will most dive operators frown upon the fact that I was certified in 98 and have no dives under my belt except the 5 I had to do for my certification?
Posted By: denverdan Re: dive operators on AC - 01/02/05 10:01 AM
I don't dive (at least not anymore) be patient as I'm sure all the divers will be up and awake soon to answer your questions. Why don't ya just do the pool course offered at the resort while your staying on Island? That way the divemaster can see what your capable of (in a pool).
Posted By: Sam Scuba Re: dive operators on AC - 01/02/05 04:16 PM
Jfabes, AC is the perfect place for you to get more dive experience. It's a good idea for you to take the refresher course and take some proof of that with you. The divemasters at the shop where I dive are attuned to each diver's level of experience when they take a group out and watch out more for the less experienced. They give as much or as little assistance as needed, but every dive has a divemaster to lead the way.

Since AC reef diving is relatively effortless, it's a great place to build up some experience and confidence. I have done 75+ dives there and never get tired of it. Hope you have the same experience. Sam
Posted By: Anonymous Re: dive operators on AC - 01/03/05 01:36 AM
We are flexible when people turn up and say either that they haven't dived in years or have lost their C-cards. A friendly chat usually reveals what will be needed, which may be as little as a shallow "hands held" dive with an instructor or experienced divemaster, through a formal refresher course to a complete re-certification. If anyone says they are current but have forgotten their C-card, we try them at Hol Chan where there's a gentle slope down to a maximum of 30'. It's obvious pretty soon whether we're being spun a yarn. If they're competent we let them dive.
Posted By: JungleT Re: dive operators on AC - 01/04/05 01:10 AM
Jfarbes, most (if not all) the divemasters on AC are accommodating. If you have not had a dive since 98' and want to do a deep dive at the Blue Hole, they may very well request a refresher course. In some cases (as Pedro2 pointed out), they may try you out someplace safe first to monitor your diving abilities.

Most of the dives around the reef range from 30' to 65'. The divemasters are well experienced and will recognize if a diver is having problems.

I have had friends take the refresher courses along the reef (like Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley) and loved it. At the same time that they were working on their dive skills, they were getting in good dives with awesome scenery and seeing cool fish/sharks.

If you have dived before, skip the pool and refresh in the sea.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: dive operators on AC - 01/05/05 02:31 AM
I agree with JungleT - do your refresher course here in the sea. It's more fun and much more realistic.

Also, you may not realise that in Belize you can't just buddy up with someone and go and do your own thing underwater. All diving here is accompanied by a guide who in most cases will also be a qualified divemaster or instructor. Pick a center that takes out small groups and your whole dive will be a refresher.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board