AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Hi All,

I'll be hopefully visiting Belize in early March with my friend. I am a diver and my friend is trying to get certified between now and then so that we can dive together. Is it necessary to book the diving package in advance, or can we just show up and book dives daily on the spot?

In the past, in places like Dahab, Egypt and Khao Lok, Thailand I have just shown up and was easily able to book dives for the next day. I prefer to do it this way so that you can check out the dive shops and staff in person and have more flexibility in when and where you want to go. I also prefer this option for this trip because since my friend will be new to diving, we are not going to know in advance how much diving she will want to do. However I am not sure if this on the spot booking is done much successfully in Belize and in Ambergriss Caye.

On the other hand, we are only going for a few days (4 or 5) so if there is any risk in being able to get dives set up on the spot, we'd rather book in advance to be sure that we'll get to dive.

I'd love to get some advice from people who have been there recently.

Thanks in advance!
-yushilary
March is Spring break time, lots of college kids and divers.
Book your first day at least,you won't be disapointed with Amigo's Del Mar, there are several other good dive shops,Patojo's is a smaller shop at the Tides Hotel just north of town, Amigo's is on north edge of town, they have a good package deal with The Mayan Princess.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Advice on booking diving in advance or not? - 01/08/05 07:47 PM
I disagree. At that time you will have no difficulty in finding space with a quality dive center. Even at the height of Christmas that was true. Unless you have very special requirements, which you don't seem to have, follow your usual practice and don't book blind. Reckon to spend 2 or 3 hours walking the beach checking out the various operators. Good idea also to research this and other internet boards to get some pointers beforehand.

However, by all means book your first day with someone if that makes you feel more secure. You won't go wrong with either of the operators JDOG suggested, which are run by members of the same family. They're both at the northern end of town so that may be a factor, although they and most other dive centers will pick you up from your hotel wherever it is.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board