AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Diver Dave Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/15/05 08:22 PM
A group of six of us (Scuba Divers) went down to
AC the 2nd week of Februrary.

The Island and San Pedro are great. All that we expected and more. The Belizean peole are friendly and very helpful. Easy to work with and we were very happy with AC and it's people.

We did our Diving with Aqua Divers and were also very happy with their service and staff.

We stayed at AQUA MARINA SUITES, they almost single-handedly ruined out trip. NOTHING at AQUA MARINA SUITES was "as promised". We were guaranteed three Jr. Suites together over-looking the ocean. We got three "1957 style Holiday Inn"
rooms over-looking a CEMETARY!! We were also told
that one couple of our group would have to change rooms (to a WORSE one if you can believe it) mid-week. The management there has an attitude of "you're here now whatya gonna do?"

THIS is what we're gonna do. Complain in every possible forum about AQUA MARINA SUITES and it's top management. While EVERY other facet of our trip to Belize and AC went well and was very enjoyable, the AQUA MARINA SUITES was a disappointment of the highest order.

We recommend to anyone staying on AC to NOT use Aqua Marina Suites, it'll ruin your day and possibly your trip.

We (our group of six) are NOT Hilton/Marriott types. And we're well traveled. The past few years we've been on Scuba trips to Bahamas, St. Kitts-Nevis, Barbados, St. Lucia, Costa Rica (3 times), the British Virgin Islands, and Bonaire.

So we're experienced with things "not exactly going as planned". This is NOT the case here. This is a case of very bad management in control
of what SHOULD have been the accomodations we PAID for. We made these reservations four months in advance. It's not like they didn't know we were coming.

I'm NOT the type to normally waste good ink complaining about things like this, but this web site/chat room was extremely helpful to me in planning this trip. And I know it is well read and that people heed it's advice. So with that in mind, I hope I can save someone from making a mistake by staying at AQUA MARINA SUITES.

Thanks for all your help guys. As I said the other parts of the trip were great!
Posted By: Chloe Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/15/05 09:09 PM
Good information for all IMHO.
Posted By: john robertsdenver Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/15/05 09:25 PM
Diver Dave, thanks for the post...sorry for your experience, information noted for my upcoming trip in april john in denver
Posted By: jfabes Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/15/05 10:23 PM
Diver Dave this is not the first complaint I have heard about that lousy establishment. I was warned by a member of this board to steer very clear of that place and am I am glad that he is not the only one to share that opinion on aqua marine suites.
Posted By: Dhumph Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/15/05 10:49 PM
We were very disappointed in the Hotel. We did not get the rooms we were promised, We had asked a number of time if our rooms had private balconies with a view of the ocean, they did not. The hotel management was terrible and even though refrigerators were available in the room we could not have food in the courtyard, around the pool or on the beach. They clam to be a diver resort but we were told not have any gear around the pool or drying by your room in a nasty letter from management. Apparently there was a room to dry dive gear but we were never told were it was or that we should use it.

We were told before our trip that we could bring the fish we caught to a restaurant and they would cook it for a small fee. We tried the Hotel restaurant and were charged as much to bring our own fish in as if we had ordered off the menu.

The day trip to the mainland we scheduled through the hotel was nothing like what was represented to us. We were taken over on a boat with 60 other people. The boat had a sign stating maximum capacity was 16. The jungle tour was the short walk to the cave where the tubing began. It was not worth $150.00 per person. The trip back was on even a smaller boat with no covering at all and it rained also with 60 people, again not what was represented to us.

The people at both the dive shop and the hotel bar and restaurant where great but I would not recommend Aqua Marine Suites to any one and I probably will not return to Belize because of the bad treatment we got at the hotel.

The diving was really good 7 out of 10 dives and we saw more Shark than on any other trip. The people were great but the hotel ruined it all for us to.
Posted By: lakelinden Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/16/05 12:01 AM
Huge bummer. I will be visiting in 23 days and I can only hope this is not the case for us. We will be staying at Belizean Shores and this will be our first visit of many we hope.
Posted By: Fluffy Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/16/05 12:35 AM
Hey Lakelinden: Where in Michigan is that? I live in Linden, MI just south of Flint.

I am sure you will love Belizean Shores. I haven't personally stayed there but have swam in their pool a number of times. Which is absolutely awesome.

Enjoy your trip. I don't get back down there till May. Too many more sleeps to count, unfortunately!
Posted By: Bobber Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/16/05 03:01 AM
To all those complaining about the AquaMarina. You should complain. That was shoddy treatment, no doubt about it. There are plenty of other places to stay that will definitely treat you much better. Do not measure AC by those low standards. I did notice last year what is apparently the building you were put in, behind the cemetary. Nice cemetary as such things go, but not something you want to look over to see the ocean.
Posted By: Jude Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/16/05 03:54 AM
Ugh! Just read these posts about AquMarina Suites and I feel a bit ill...we are headed to AC (our first visit) Feb.19-26 and you guessed it, we're booked at this place. It was set up for us through Interval International,and we have always had great luck with their bookings. Has anyone out there had a good experience with this hotel? The tents on the beach are beginning to sound pretty good right now:(
Posted By: Joe Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/16/05 12:48 PM
The question that begs to be asked is why hasn't anyone posted to alert anyone from staying at this place. Shame on anyone for knowing about this establishment and not alerting us. Isn't that what this board is for. Too much cheerleading and too little reality. I am glad though that any future visitors are now aware to stay away.
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/16/05 01:24 PM
The good, bad and ugly of travel is part of life's many learning experiences. Personally, my expectations were met on all levels at Aqua Marina Suites when I visited AC during 4/2003. The property management must have changed since then.
Posted By: Bobber Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/16/05 02:33 PM
Joe, apparently this is the alert. I have always maintained that the quality of the competition has improved AC. Bad restaurants don't survive long because of the competition. I would imagine if a lodging establishment disappoints too many people, it will have to change or fall by the wayside. Dog is also correct, not every place will meet up with your expectations. The experienced traveler has to learn to roll with the punches, but mis-representing a facility, or shoddy treatment has no excuse. The customer is not always right, but they are always the customer. If the management becomes aware that they are under scrutiny, they may get a clue that something is wrong. Just my opinion of course, no second chance to make a first impression.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/16/05 03:43 PM
Yes, some of us know the good, bad and ugly details of hotels, restaurants, dive shops, etc etc. I know because it's my BUSINESS to know, just as it is with several other "boarders". I have actually stayed at one property that gets a lot of press on this board, and I would NEVER stay there again. There are restaurants that get great press that I won't step into.
Sometimes you (the questioneer) take advice from someone who has never been to these establishments, or was there 10 years ago. I have seen questions on this board that are easy, and I have seen wrong answers, but (as an advertiser on this site), I can't overstep my boundaries and "advertise", or I'm not supposed to do that. If you look at my comments, I do "endorse" certain restaurants, but rarely my own.
I'm sorry that you had a bad experience in San Pedro. I do hope you will come back, but please don't expect what you would find other places in the Caribbean. Hopefully, San Pedro will never be like those places. And keep in mind that sometimes things happen, and you might not get a specific room, or you might have to move. None of the properties here are 700 room Hiltons with lots of empty rooms.
Seriously, if you really want to know the truth about something, look at previous trip reports, then ask someone who knows.... (for example: Barb's Belize, Magnum, Chamber of Commerce, residents, etc). If these people give you the wrong info, then tell the board.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/16/05 04:15 PM
Hey Diver Dan

Look at it this way - you stayed in the "Dead Centre of Town." ha ha

The building you stayed in is in the vicinity of an infamous place from many years ago.... the Graveyard Hilton.

There used to be quite a wild bar there at one time too - was it Santino's?? All I remember is lots of table top dancing!!!

So sorry your accommodations didn't work out as well as you plannned.

Next time - BANANA BEACH RESORT
Posted By: Catatonic Motivator Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/16/05 04:38 PM
Kind of funny, isn't it? A lot of people seem to believe anything they read here...not to belittle what appears to have been a lousy experience with a particular hotel. And, of course, we all appreciate hearing about it. I'd wager those two posts just cost AMS an appreciable amount of business.

Just keep in mind that much of the input here is from people with very limited experience(s)--only staying at one resort, eating at a select group of restaurants, using a single tour operator, fishing with one guide, etc. You really need to keep an open and, at times, critical outlook. The fact is, there are many great places to stay, a multitude of fine food establishments and many very experienced tour operators, dive shops and fishing guides.

One experience does not a reputation make or ruin--not that I have any intention of staying at AMS.

Use your own mind or risk assimilation. wink
Posted By: captjeff Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/16/05 04:51 PM
capt jeff stayed there up to 6 months ago they,had a nice clean place I got deal in the main hotel as the place next store was not finished yet .I always had a suite on the right side not near the graveyard. and never used the restaurant.as no no was every there . and stained glass pub was next door and had great food ..the staff was different each month nobody stayed?? they all quit as they did not like the owner . the owner is the same owner of aqua divers .and he brings in large dive groups and sends them to his hotel. can not understand shoddy treament,as bad service is not the norm in sanpedro.... the people here all go out of there way to be nice.
Posted By: Bobber Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/16/05 05:16 PM
Catatonic Motivator brought up an interesting phenomenon. Have you ever wondered why so many boarders, regardless of their experience as travelers, are fiercely loyal to a given resort, or set of restaurants? And why they go back again and again? It's because they get what they want or expect, or even more. It's because their vacation experience was enhanced by the businesses they patronized. That is good business. And have you wondered why so many places are hyped by so many people? Simply because there are a lot of quality places that do believe in serving the public and trying to making a profit.
Posted By: Diver Dave Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/16/05 05:27 PM
By the way Capt. Jeff, at your urging we DID do a full day fishing trip with Capt. Bicho & his son
Bicho Jr. We were treated like royalty. The fishing was great (all four of us caught fish)and the lunch at Lion's Club park was Lobster (which Bicho Jr. caught) and some of our catch of Trigger fish and Yellow tail, and they cooked it PERFECTLY. A VERY GRAND day on the water. Thanks again Capt. Jeff for the heads up about Bicho. I would recomment him to ANYONE!
Posted By: captjeff Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/16/05 05:38 PM
diver dan another fan . sounds super ..will share that when I see capt bicho and his son jr.. it is nice testiomials like this , that makes me so happy .I go out of my way to reccomend him as he works so hard to give people a wonderful day out on the water...he helps people live the dream ..
Posted By: tradewinds Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/16/05 06:15 PM
We went out with Bicho and Jr. last week and had a blast again. My brother-in-law was under the weather, so it was just my wife and me. Bicho and Jr. had a great laugh at my expense as she caught the first 2 barracudas, but then she let me catch a few before the lobster feast. I've got pics to post and will have them up in the next day or so.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Feb. 5th-12th Trip Reort - 02/16/05 06:26 PM
tradewinds good for you ,can not wait to see photos ..glad you also got to live the dream again ..
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board