AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Jude Just Back from a Taste of Paradise! - 02/27/05 03:43 PM
Got in this AM around 1 o'clock, still have that "travel motion feeling" happening. This was our first visit to AC. This messge board was very helpful in our getting our bearings on what things we wanted to try and see and do when we got there. But of course nothing can really prepare you for the transformation you feel by around day three on the island. It's something magical that takes hold over you. You have to experience it to fully understand. The local people are amazing and the air is full of their voices and the children's laughter. We stayed in town and spent long hours just relaxing on beach chairs listening and watching all that was going on around us. Many of the children just sat down and visited with us. I am a primary teacher and two sisters joined us (ages 5 and 8) and told us all about their daily experiences at school. They had us in hysterics trying to fool us with their many stories. Many of the kids seem to enjoy teasing the tourists to joke and interract. They are very personable.
It was great to visit all the places I had read about like: Papi's, the hand ferry, Fidos, chicken drop @Spindrift's, Wet Willies etc. There was a full moon while we were there and we walked up to Ramon's and sat out on the end of their dock each evening, pure heaven. Had two great days with Seaduced : cave tubing and then catamaran snorkel trip. Met many people from all over and slowed our lives down enough to take notice and enjoy the moment. A week is not long enough so will plan a longer trip to AC for the future. Still too many things not experienced there yet. We met one couple who was there for their fifth trip. They stay about 3-4 weeks each time. Sounds like the right way to do AC!
Posted By: Bobber Re: Just Back from a Taste of Paradise! - 02/27/05 04:16 PM
A lot of people here are familiar with the magic feeling. The third day is about average for a first trip. On the next trip it will take less time, and by the time you hit 3 or 4, you get the feeling as soon as you touch down in Belize City. That is why so many people keep coming back. The place and it's people are great for putting stress on a back burner for awhile.
Posted By: Mona Lisa Re: Just Back from a Taste of Paradise! - 02/27/05 08:21 PM
Hey Jude!

I can't believe that you've only been home since 1:00 am and you're already posting... WOW.

Thanks for sharing the story about the children... we caught the full moon there last month, and can still hear the kids. So true, they are very personable. We found that their fav candy was tootsie pops, "beeeg sweeet".

I would agree w/ you about the 3rd day... and totally can understand Bobber's comment that the more you go there, the less time it will take to unwind.

I also agree that one week is not enough... we had 10 days... still not enough... now 2-3 weeks... YAH! cool

You are so right... it was great investigating on this board and then seeing everything that was described.

NOTHING prepared me for the spectacular snorkeling spots... Hol Chan, Shark Ray Alley, Coral Gardens, Mexico Rocks. This reef is so abundant. Let's hope it stays that way.

Nice to hear your thoughts.
Posted By: ts Re: Just Back from a Taste of Paradise! - 02/28/05 05:45 PM
Just returned from my first week in San Pedro as well. Couldn't agree more about that magic feeling -- and can't wait to get back and experience it again. Loved it.
Posted By: hawkgirl Re: Just Back from a Taste of Paradise! - 02/28/05 11:45 PM
15 trips and can't wait for May again!! My friends and I always end the evening laying on the end of the dock toes up and singing songs like "it's only a paper moon" or listening to the beach music and singing along!! I can feel that hammock in the late afternoon breeze now.
Posted By: egcntrk Re: Just Back from a Taste of Paradise! - 03/02/05 01:48 AM
It is magic, isn't it? No where quite like it on this earth. Time unfolds differentlty there. It didn't take three days for me. It took Tulu, morning of first full day, asking me what I was doing making a schedule of events, to get on island time. Threw that little book in the corner, put away the watch and just got in tune.

Island time begins on the internatinal flight and settles in at the municipal departure lounge having a rum punch from Jet's. The plane departs when? It departs when I am on it, rising into the air, with glorious views of the islands and the crystal waters of the Caribbern below to settle gently onto the sands of Ambergris Caye. I deplane and find myself where the heart has longed to be. The tradewind blows and my heart sings.........
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: Just Back from a Taste of Paradise! - 03/02/05 04:00 AM
Although my moment of awakening did not happen on AC, it followed me for the rest of my glorious 12 days that we spent in Belize. It was the morning of our 2nd day at Aguada in Santa Elana and one of the owners, Shalue was talking about how Americans are always in a hurry, even when on vacation. She turned and looked at me and said, "Your in Belize, your on vacation, where do you really Have to be." That was my motto for the duration!
Posted By: NYgal Re: Just Back from a Taste of Paradise! - 03/02/05 04:10 AM
Our smiles and warm hearts always perk up as we deplane at Goldson. The feeling is so wonderful. Year after year..... smile

We always plan our next trip as we ride home.
I have reserved one week for the next trip already laugh
Posted By: crockhunter Re: Just Back from a Taste of Paradise! - 03/05/05 03:20 PM
For us the feeling hits when Tropic or Maya touches down in San Pedro. It's a kind of warm glow that spreads through your body. If you could put that magic in a bottle it would be worth a fortune.
As for Americans being in a hurry, Tulu always says "There's more time than life."
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board