AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Hi everybody. I was wondering what the quality of snorkeling gear is available to rent. Do most outfits charge by the day, and if so how much? Or would I be better off bringing my own gear? Your comments are greatly appreciated.
Posted By: doggums Re: To bring, or not to bring (Snorkel gear) - 03/18/05 11:01 PM
This is a very personal decision, but I am never very comfortable wearing shoes someone else has worn at a bowling alley - so using a snorkel that has been in someone elses mouth is right out for me.
Posted By: egcntrk Re: To bring, or not to bring (Snorkel gear) - 03/18/05 11:27 PM
Agree, it's a personal decision. I bring the mask and snorkel and rent fins. I know my mask fits properly and the snorkel is disinfected to my standards. They really don't take that much space in the checked luggage.

doggums, eeeeeeeewwwwwww......bowling alley shoes! eek With you on that one, too!
Posted By: jfabes Re: To bring, or not to bring (Snorkel gear) - 03/18/05 11:28 PM
Originally posted by doggums:
This is a very personal decision, but I am never very comfortable wearing shoes someone else has worn at a bowling alley - so using a snorkel that has been in someone elses mouth is right out for me.
^
|
|
|
|
|
|

yeah, what that guy said.
LBI, BRING YOUR MASK AND SNORKEL. RENT THE FINS, I DON'T REMEMBER EXACTLY HOW MUCH, BUT IT WAS VERY CHEAP.
Posted By: egcntrk Re: To bring, or not to bring (Snorkel gear) - 03/19/05 12:02 AM
Cost of fin rental was $5.00 US, 2.50 BZ per day. Can't remember name of place; 1st tour operator just south of Reef Adventures dock.
Posted By: MARG Re: To bring, or not to bring (Snorkel gear) - 03/19/05 04:40 AM
Hmmm. Isn't it US$2.50, and BZ5.00?
Thanks everyone. I did figure that the US rate and BZ rate should be reversed, I've learned so much more from this forum than all the books combined. See you on the 17th of Apr.
LBI, I would suggest you get the footies that you use inside of the fins at home a bring them with you. :p
Posted By: Anonymous Re: To bring, or not to bring (Snorkel gear) - 03/19/05 02:46 PM
Most dive shops don't rent open heel fins, so bringing booties may not help. Although those who do don't usually rent booties, for reasons of hygene. I would recommend people to bring mask & fins, as these are the things where a good fit is important. May as well bring a snorkel as well, although the hygene argument is specious - how many divers bring their own regulator specifically for reasons of hygene? In terms of getting a good fit and hygene a suit should be the next on the list - there must be few people who have not peed in their suit at some time, whether it be their own or rented.
Thanks Pedro, That reminds me I have to pee myself. I'll be sure to miss my wheaties though... cool
Posted By: doggums Re: To bring, or not to bring (Snorkel gear) - 03/19/05 03:46 PM
I'm not sure I understand the logic pedro. Simply because other people put things in their mouths that others have already had in their mouths (regulators), we should all do this every chance we get (snorkels)? Feels sepcious to me.
Posted By: egcntrk Re: To bring, or not to bring (Snorkel gear) - 03/19/05 08:58 PM
Huge laugh at self...sorry about the $ mix up. Had a senior moment!

Eg need a vacation.....lol
LBI Jersey Boy, We vacation at Beach Haven every summer. When will you be in SP? My husband is a germ phobic and is bringing his own regulator. We have our own snorkeling gear. My husband swears he got a cold sore last year from a rented regulator. I know, that is what they all say. However, we have been married for 25 years so he better not have gotten from somewhere else!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board