AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: mustardgirl100 Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/24/05 06:47 PM
Thought I start a new thread . I am going to stay 5 nights at the Belizean Shores and either 5 Nights at the Tides or Aquamarina. Both in the same loaction both prices/night are about the same. Any thoughts out there?????
Posted By: SimonB Re: Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/24/05 06:59 PM
//ambergriscaye.com/message/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=009944#000007

Several differing opinions are given in the above thread.
Posted By: sandb Re: Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/24/05 07:43 PM
SimonB's suggestion from the other topic is a great one for you. I think the really interesting and important question is: Where do you stay first, North or South?
In regards to AquaMarina Suites, there have been certain concerns raised... every property has some anecdotal negatives. If I were you, I would only stay at AquaMarina Suites if they could put you in any one of: Rooms 206, 207,306, or 307. Looking at the photo in the lodging section of this sight, these rooms are left side, middle and top floor.
Posted By: mustardgirl100 Re: Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/24/05 09:55 PM
Thanks
SandB I will stay north for the first 5 nights
After that and reading the thread on Aqua I deceided to pass. But considering (all around $ 85-100/night) Tides, Seven Seas and Bannana Beach- Seven Seas gives You a full kitchen,TV Pool) what are the beaches like at all three?? What are opinions of these places? Really appreciate all the help
What a differance.
Posted By: Cold in MT Re: Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/24/05 10:28 PM
We stayed at Banana Beach the first part of March. I would recommend them any day. We had an ocean front suite though so can't attest to the pool area rooms. The service and people are what would bring me back. The restaurant and breakfast were also another big plus. We liked the location too.
Posted By: angelacarr1961 Re: Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/24/05 10:50 PM
mustardgirl, you are bold!
Posted By: mustardgirl100 Re: Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/24/05 10:53 PM
what does that mean Angela?? sarcastic is good!
Posted By: Skyliner Re: Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/25/05 03:26 AM
We've stayed at Seven Seas three times, so obviously we like it. However, we we don't spend a lot of time in the room. We're happy with the value for the price, but I don't think the units are as nice as at Belizean Shores. You can probably find other posts delineating pros/cons about the place, but here are mine.

Pros:
-Quiet, but close to town.
-Well maintained
-Friendly staff - helpful in scheduling trips.
-Nice pool area
-Decent kitchen w/ microwave, etc.
-View from the sun deck is nice and the front yard is pleasant.
-It's close to Papi's - a good traditional Belizean restaurant. And it's only a block or so away from the bakery.

Cons:
-AC only in bedroom - bedroom is smallish
-Pool is behind the building, rather than by the beach.
-Most of the suite photos you see on the website are of a model - not of the actual room you will stay in.
-The rooms don't benefit from the trade winds as much due to the internal configuration of the rooms.
-There is no real beach at Seven Seas - there's a small sea wall at the water line.

Here's a thread from last May that discussed Seven Seas: //ambergriscaye.com/message/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=008741#000000

We'll be at Seven Seas next week - I'll be glad to give you a fresh update when we get back, but you may need to make your decision before then.
Posted By: mustardgirl100 Re: Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/25/05 05:48 PM
Thanks Is it nice to be friends? I know I am crazy but I am really considering Banana Beach for 5 Nights and Belizean Shores for the other Five
Thanks again
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/25/05 06:20 PM
BANANA BEACH !!!
Posted By: Skyliner Re: Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/25/05 06:27 PM
Yup.

Never stayed at Banana Beach, but all the comments I've read about the place have been positive. At the risk of being obvious, Banana Beach is farther from town than Belizean Shores - at least if the map on the following link is correct.

//ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/mapdowntowndetail.html

You'll have to decide if just over 1.5 miles south of town is the right location for you - not withstanding the quality and appeal of BB. How far can you stagger after a late evening at Fido's?
Posted By: SimonB Re: Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/25/05 07:38 PM
Banana Beach is now where near as far from town as Belizean Shores. Belizean Shores is 3.43 miles and Banana Beach is 1.44.

As I suggested before 5 at Belizean Shores and then 5 in town would give you the best feel for San Pedro. Banana Beach is great place but will be a long walk (especially at night). I would consider anything further than 10 minutes after a night out to be cabbing distance. I would stick to your choice of the Tides this time and on your next visit (and there will be one) try Banana Beach.
Posted By: Skyliner Re: Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/25/05 08:01 PM
Simon - thanks for the info. I'm sure that in your business you know the distance to resorts better than most.

Before my first trip to San Pedro, I looked at all of the resorts shown on the map in this website. I know a number of people have found the map helpful. It appears that distances shown on the map are plain wrong - Belizean Shores is shown as less than 1.5 miles north of town.

Time for a map update?
Posted By: mustardgirl100 Re: Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/25/05 08:03 PM
Thanks for the help. Banana Beach, from what I can surmise, is about a 20 Minute walk to town. Also there appears to be alot of things to do in the vicinity of Banana.(Airstrip South) Is it not true that Banana is far superior to the Tides? The Beach is MUCH NICER
Also how much is a cab fron Banana to Town?
In any case Banana is so much more accesible than Belizean Shores
Posted By: Now Danny Re: Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/25/05 10:10 PM
It's nice walk from fido's to banana beach but about 20 minutes but enjoyable. Take a small flash light and enjoy. The hardest part is trying to look down as you walk. The stars, the stars. smile
Posted By: john robertsdenver Re: Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/26/05 12:20 AM
mustardgirl, i will be at banana beach on the 27th of april...stayed there this past feb and it is the best for the dollar value...full kitchen,cable, great beach area with trees for both sun and shade, nice pool, fab staff and amigos will pick you up at mata rocks pier for scuba, en plus you have a nice palapa bar next door at mata rocks. it truely is a great place to stay and i have stayed at a lot of places over the last four years both here and on caye caulker....john in denver P.S. angela what did you mean you are bold?? just curious??
Posted By: mustardgirl100 Re: Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/26/05 03:59 AM
John roberts Denver
And all you wonderful men out there in Belize Land
Thanks for your advice. BUT I have made my Final
choice. 5 Nights at Belizean Shores and 5 Nights @ Mata Rocks. I can not fathom how much energy one puts into a vacation. My choice of applying to Grad school was so much easier.
Lets all enjoy our life to the best we can
Posted By: SimonB Re: Tides vs Aquamarina suites??? - 03/26/05 03:55 PM
You're right about that map it's way off.

Here's a list of distances (in miles) from Central Park, the distance is first and the name second.

ROOMS SOUTH OF RIVER
Sunset Beach Resort
Caribe Island Resort
Medical University of the Amer.
Victoria House
Mayas Katut Resort
Royal Palm Island Resort
Royal Palm Villas
Mata Rocks Resort
Banana Beach Resort
Grand Colony
Tropica