AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: ktny333 Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley Snorkel Tour - 04/14/05 04:02 PM
Hi,

I'm planning to do a 1/2 day snorkel tour to Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley while in AC. Can anyone recommend me which tour I should go w/? Also, where can I book the tour? Thanks...
ktny, I have always liked amigos del mar and you do both of them at the same time ...one right after the other.. in a 1/2 day tour. make sure you have your guide go with you at hol chan.. he will point out lots of cool stuff for you...john in denver
Posted By: Scott Re: Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley Snorkel Tour - 04/14/05 05:14 PM
ktny... You can book online before you leave direct with Amigos del Mar or wait till you get there and book thru either CDM or The Palms. The Palms staff can book everything from your Lamanai trip to snorkeling to water taxis to fishing for you! E-mail or call them direct and they will arrange it all.
Posted By: ktny333 Re: Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley Snorkel Tour - 04/14/05 05:41 PM
Sorry, I've done more research and read from this forum about an all day snorkel tour that stops at Caye Caulker for lunch. Is it worth going?
Posted By: Skyliner Re: Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley Snorkel Tour - 04/14/05 05:42 PM
We personally like Alphonse Graniel best of the guides we've gone with for 1/2 day trips. He's got a real love of Belize and its marine life and he enjoys sharing his knowledge with wisitors. We've also gone on several night snorkels with him and had a great time.

Because Alphonse doesn't have an office, like Seaduced, Hustler or Amigos, some resorts are hesitant to book with him. So if your resort balks, you might have to push.

Try a search of previous posts - you'll find a lot of feedback about Alphonse and other guides.
Posted By: Phil Re: Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley Snorkel Tour - 04/14/05 07:10 PM
The El Gato run by Geraldo Badillo does an all day sailing tour to Caye Caulker with two snorkel stops in the Hol Chan Marine Reserve. It is one of, if not the, most popular tours with our guests and they get rave reviews for their quality and value for money at only US$50 per person. Small groups are almost gauranteed with a max of twelve people (min of 3 or 4) on the Catamaran. Take your own snorkel gear or rent from a dive shop prior to the trip as their kit selection is limited. Take money for Park fee, lunch and any shopping on Caye Caulker.
Posted By: PACouple Re: Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley Snorkel Tour - 04/14/05 08:22 PM
ktny33...I second Alphonse Graniel as the best guide for the snorkle trip. Went with him over the Christmas holiday and he was great. We scheduled him through Tanisha Tours as a recommendation from Daniel Nuñez.
Posted By: ktny333 Re: Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley Snorkel Tour - 04/15/05 03:33 PM
how many days should I schedule the tour in advance? Can I book it once I get there?
Posted By: Cold in MT Re: Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley Snorkel Tour - 04/15/05 07:06 PM
We snorkeled with Alphonse and liked him so much we scheduled another full day where we went to see the Manatees and stopped at Caye Caulker on our way back for lunch, then went snorkeling. I second everything everyone has said. We booked him through Monkey Business at Banana Beach. He served rum punch and beer on the trip and we learned so much about the island and the people. It was one of our best days. I swear he knew every fish snorkeling and told us about everyone. We had kind of a big group the first day, but it still went really well. This was my first time snorkeling and he helped me so much, I felt very comfortable and couldn't wait to go again.
Posted By: Laazzyy Re: Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley Snorkel Tour - 04/16/05 04:16 AM
I third the suggestion of Alphonse. He was the bright spot of what I thought was a very disapointing 9 days in San Pedro. His enthusiasim and geniune love of his job put ever other person I met in Belize to shame. I actually did Hoi Chan/Shark Ray three times just because nothing else came close to living up to my expectations.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley Snorkel Tour - 04/16/05 05:44 AM
AMIGOS AMIGOS AMIGOS, GO WITH AMIGOS DEL MAR, BY FAR THE BEST!!
Posted By: ilandhoper Re: Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley Snorkel Tour - 04/18/05 09:56 PM
SeDuced tours with Elito...... Can typically book while in town. We booked ours the evening before and had no problem. Boat was docked at Ramon's pier in March. You could get more info from the office on the pier at Ramon's if need be. Great sailboat. Quiet. Caye Caulker is a need to see atleast once kind of place. If you doin't make it out there on your snorkel trip, take the town water taxi over. Lazy Lizard is a great hang out.
was just there end of March.
Hol Chan and Shark Ray are very popular and there are 1/2 day dives, 9am and 2pm, by many outfits. no real need to book in advance. I would recommend waiting and go with a guide who isn't loaded with guests. Most of the boats i saw had a dozen or more guests so it is difficult for the guide to spend time with each of you. Your hotel may be able to call for you at the last minute and get a good guide who isn't overcrowded. Lupe at Xanadu was excellent at calling around for me. Let me just insert a big plug for the really nice and helpful people at Xanadu. I went twice to HC/SRA. With Ambergris Divers and ended up with a one on one with snorkle guide(Chris) who was an excellent teacher and knew all the fish etc. On another trip, Willy of Searious Adventures gave our family a private snorkle. He was very patient and a great teacher to our children.
Posted By: ktny333 Re: Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley Snorkel Tour - 04/20/05 05:36 PM
Hi there, I'm a bit confused (again). If I were to do a full day snorkel tour that includes Hol Chan, Shark Ray Alley and Stop off at Caye Caulker, which tour package is it? Is it the Beach BBQ snorkel or Caye Caulker snorkel trip?

As for 1/2 day snorkel - do they offer rum punch/beer/beverages on the boat? laugh
Posted By: ilandhoper Re: Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley Snorkel Tour - 04/21/05 10:44 PM
If you use SeDuced, it is the Caye Caulker snorkel trip. You leave at approx. 8:30-9am and return about 5pm. Hol Chan in morning, Caye Caulker lunch, Shark Ray in the afternoon. Elito included beer, water, rum punch, and some soft drinks and chips and salsa. Then you are on your own for lunch at Caye Caulker, many great places to eat. I think we were there for 2 hours.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board