AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: taz kinds of fish caught from dock - 06/02/05 02:41 AM
What kind of fish is commonly caught from the docks? My hubbie dreams of catching dinner. Any advice on the kinds of fish we may catch and how to prepare will be appreciated. smile
Posted By: captjeff Re: kinds of fish caught from dock - 06/02/05 04:53 PM
taz ,you can catch some snapper ,cuda , lots of different kinds of fish depending where you are ??? and best tide is high tide the very best ...and try to fish far out as you can . the longer the pier /dock and deeper the water the better.. watch out as some private docks where people snorkel do not encourage fishing ...but there a hundred places to wet a line as this is a fishing paradise and as it is island there are lots of spots.. use lite spin tackel 8 to 12 lb test very small hooks,1 o's buy frozen shrimp at super market,one lb will do the trick or any small shinny lures ,,buck tail small .but I like the shrimp best .but to hire a boat with a guide is cheap and a fun time on the water and you will eat fish all week and a half day trip is great ... but if you want to fish from land you can buy tackel at sharks ,tackel marine ,two locations one on the beach near wet willys nice people and the other near airport next to maya air good luck fishing and tight lines to ya check out my may fishing report and go live the dream and enjoy ... ...
Posted By: taz Re: kinds of fish caught from dock - 06/03/05 02:39 AM
Thanks Capt. Jeff. I am going right now to look at your may fishing report. Cuda is short for Barracuda right? Is that good to eat or will it make you sick?
Posted By: taz Re: kinds of fish caught from dock - 06/03/05 02:44 AM
Oh, Capt Jeff. We'll be at Belizean Shores. Hows the fishing out there? We think it is awesome how they cooked up your fish at the pub.
Posted By: Coco Loco Lady Re: kinds of fish caught from dock - 06/03/05 10:29 AM
Cuda (Barracuda) is safe to eat on AC. Capt. Bicho always makes sure I catch about a 5ft. one and cooks some of it up for me on the beach bar-b-que! All though I have to admit, taste wise, I do prefer the snapper, hogfish is also very good.
Coco
Posted By: captjeff Re: kinds of fish caught from dock - 06/03/05 01:39 PM
Taz .....your in luck the belizean shores has snapper ,at the end of your long dock .and you will have a fridge in your condo to keep your shrimp in ..so you will have a shot at some bites ..and as coco as said they are safe to eat here but I do not eat them .like snapper ,lobster better..but if you can ???? get a guide for a super half day or full day of action packed fishing it will be money well spent....again go live the dream and enjoy....
Posted By: krehfish Re: kinds of fish caught from dock - 06/03/05 01:55 PM
TAZ: The 'cuda is great to eat. However I think you'll find the general feeling among guides is that those caught on the flats are better than those caught ocean-side. Something to do with the forage. But, 3'or 4' dock caught fish is cetainly worth a meal, esp. the tail fillets. (Gotta love a little tail)
Posted By: krehfish Re: kinds of fish caught from dock - 06/03/05 01:59 PM
Hey Capt.- You around between 7/14-8/2? I'm doing some serious tarpon fishing the first 4 or 5 days, but would like to see how you do it.
Posted By: captjeff Re: kinds of fish caught from dock - 06/03/05 03:47 PM
krehfish my fishing brother you might have a partner ...Maybe down then ,but if we go to my secret tarpon holes in the south channels ,you will have to be blindfolded.and strip searched for gps. but it will be worth it.. keep in touch please and lets try to hook up ....And tight lines to you, and here's to great fishing and living the dream ...
Posted By: krehfish Re: kinds of fish caught from dock - 06/03/05 05:59 PM
Capt. A couple sips of the amber liquid and I'd be convinced we were fishing the East River!!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board