AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: hydrolady Tipping on Ambergris Caye - 10/08/05 10:01 PM
Hello to all,

We will be visiting Ambergris Caye next March (first time). We were wondering what the tipping policy was for the various services, like taxis, water taxis, restaurants, maid service, excursion operators and their various employees.

The only other place we have visited outside the U.S. is Grand Bahama, where they automatically add a 15% gratuity to restaurant bills.

In the U.S. we usually give 15% for good service, more for exceptional service.

Any insight as to what is "the norm" for the various services would be greatly appreciated!!

Hydrolady
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Tipping on Ambergris Caye - 10/08/05 10:07 PM
Same as US
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tipping on Ambergris Caye - 10/09/05 02:12 AM
eek Ok I'll bite....what is a Hydrologist?
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Tipping on Ambergris Caye - 10/09/05 03:14 AM
Can I get some hydro, lady?

SIN
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Tipping on Ambergris Caye - 10/09/05 05:52 PM
lol!!!

tipping, yes, same as the US
Posted By: MikeCaroleinKC Re: Tipping on Ambergris Caye - 10/13/05 01:20 AM
Carole sezs "just don't tip over the outhouse.
Posted By: hydrolady Re: Tipping on Ambergris Caye - 10/13/05 01:45 AM
Rykat,

A hydrologist is someone who studies the science of water. For example, water quality and quantity, water chemistry, distribution, properties, groundwater flow paths, etc.

Hydrolady
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tipping on Ambergris Caye - 10/13/05 05:23 AM
laugh smile laugh OK I'll buy that!
Posted By: hydrolady Re: Tipping on Ambergris Caye - 10/13/05 05:26 AM
Thanks to all who responded about the tipping policy. Seems it is different everywhere, and we don't want to be too cheap or too extravagant. We will do as we normally do here. I did read somewhere on a general information site about Am. Caye, that taxi drivers are usually not tipped. This just does not seem right. Do they figure the tip into their fare? or should we tip them as others???

Oh, and SIN, OF COURSE you can have some hydro--just turn on your tap, place a glass under it, and drink to your heart's content!! (meant in fun--not being sarcastic!)

And Mike and Carole, WOW, You tip outhouses in KC?? Here in ID, we just go cow tipping!! (well, I guess the outcome could be similar??!!)
Posted By: Seachange Re: Tipping on Ambergris Caye - 10/13/05 12:12 PM
Hi Hydrolady, I am married to a Hydroman, a hydrogeologist, so for the last 30 years I have received plenty o' info about H2O, including, but not limited to, the id of a wetland on an island off the coast of Placencia!! Cheers, drink up and have a great visit. cool
Posted By: Placidguy Re: Tipping on Ambergris Caye - 10/13/05 12:36 PM
and remember.... Tipping..is not a city in China.....
Posted By: hydrolady Re: Tipping on Ambergris Caye - 10/14/05 02:07 AM
Hi Seachange,

I guess technically I would be a geohydrologist--Training in geology and then took a turn to water for the job. Great work though. So tell me about this island off the coast of Placencia?? I am still getting my geographic bearings planning for the trip. The only water I will be studying then will be the warm, clear, fish-filled, and perhaps that with which the local beers are made! laugh
Hydrolady
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board