AmbergrisCaye.com Home
I was just about to book my June reservations at Banyan Bay but decided to get some more advice first. My short list includes Banyan Bay, Xanadu, Mata Rocks, The Palms, and Ramon's. I need to book this week otherwise I will fail out of dental school because I read and search this forum (incredibly helpful by the way) about six hours a day. My fiance is pretty well traveled (hawaii, cancun, bahamas, some other islands that i don't even know the names of) so I want made a good decision. I know she won't be disappointed but I am a little nervous planning everything. The hotels I have listed are about in the same location and price isn't an issue so don't let that weigh in on your advice. Thanks in advance.

rlm
Have you looked at this map?

//ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/mapdowntowndetail.html

the 5 acco's you selected are not exactly "in the same location" other than being on the same island. There;s approx 1.5 mi difference between MR ( the farthest from town on your list)and The Palms, (closest to town).

A "good decision" can only be made once you have qualified your desires/needs. Things like AC/no AC, pool/no pool, in town/out of town, mini kitchen/no kitchen......

facts dude facts, b4 we can help (or simply use the search feature, upper right)

edit: Highly unlikely she's gonna divorce ya after the honyemoon in the unlikely event she doesn't like BZ! So relax. Dent school is much tougher than this.
People have given you advice and you have not taken it so why continue to ask for advice. Take a chance...and get some b a l l s. Book. Scratch Ramon's off the list. No Tv's (not that you need it here but the others have it), small box rooms with no seperate bedroom which the others also have. Latestly, stop the worrying and enjoy. All others you listed are gorgeous.
Thanks for the replies. I was mainly looking for a "not this one" so thanks spl. However spl- I have taken advice. I didn't know that you could read my private messages from other members of the board to know that i haven't taken advice. Maybe the function is messed up, i dont know...

I have looked at the map (some more advice that i took from the board) Im pretty sure the places I listed all have a/c, pool, some type of kitchen, all within my idea of walkable distance (hence the word 'about'.) so maybe I actually was a good fact-checking dude. The list has been narrowed down to include what I consider my desires/needs. I have searched the archives quite extensively. I am sure almost everything has been asked about each resort/restaurant/dive company at some time so I guess one shouldn't have to post new topics anymore. I didn't mean to clutter the board with my obvious "no taking advice anyway, unresearched post." So thanks for your extremely helpful comments, why waste your time to even reply?
no ramons no kitchen. unless you get the presidential suite. you did not clutter up the board, don't think that. I am just saying go ahead and book because everyone on the board will tell you something different anyways. You did not waste anyones time. have fun.
I'd scratch Ramons. That leaves you with 3 south and one north. Mata Chica is a great place with a great restaurant, but it's north. For a first trip then, that would leave me with the three south...You have researched well and any one of these would be great.
Good luck! smile
which one is located north from his list?
Mata Chica
He said Mata Rocks not Mata Chica smile
Oops, my bad. However, I would also delete Mata Rocks from the company of the other three. It is the furthest south of the four and the rooms at the Banyan Bay & The Palms are much nicer...in my opinion.
I agree with your opinion on the rooms.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I was just about to book, but I got scared... - 01/23/06 03:36 AM
Stay at the Palms, dude, you CAN'T go wrong!
The Palms & Banyan Bay are both beautiful !!
Rykat, DUDE, when do you arrive? I used to get made fun of daily when I first got here as I always said "dude!" and quickly got used to saying "Mon!" I forgot the dude quick with all the laughing and teasing. wink Palms is nice, you are right!! I would choose that over Banyon for a few reason. Looks just as nice, much closer to town, and we had some personal disappointments at Baynon. Now, Banyon is certainly wonderful. Beautiful grounds, lovely rooms, and would recommend staying there. Just a bad taste left in my mouth.
If you really want to spend time around the pool, the Palms pool is tiny if that matters to you. The condos are nice and spacious, though.
Xanadu is quite nice also. The kitchens are well equipped, the pool is very nice and there are free bicycles and kayaks to use.
To the OP:
I trust you realize that it is incumbent upon you to advise us of your final decision? Failure to exercise this common courtesy will result in a permanent ban. laugh
what is OP? original poster? I am in the process of trying to book with The Palms. Their website has been down for a couple of days and they are pretty slow with returing my emails. Thanks so much for all of the comments and advice. I didn't know how much I didn't know about Belize until I started reading this forum. I am very excited, Thanks again.

rlm
Good luck and keep us posted... smile
Hope you can get the Palms...stayed there in November and can not think of one negative thing to say about it. Great location, great views, great service, small but clean pool (as long as its big enough to float in what more do you need???!!) Hope you can get through to them....
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board