AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Kristykins Question for Simon - 11/10/05 08:54 PM
Hey there =]

I was wondering what the cost is to do the groceries thing at our hotel? just trying to get an idea what to budget for, and we're trying to see if we can make it cheaper doing that, rather than just eating out everyday [I'm guessing the answer to that is OF COURSE ITS CHEAPER] lol.

cool
Posted By: Lost Irishman Re: Question for Simon - 11/10/05 08:58 PM
//ambergriscaye.com/lagniappe/

I am sure Simon will get to you asap. Here is his website though - it has ordering infomation available in it

LI
Posted By: Kristykins Re: Question for Simon - 11/10/05 09:24 PM
Thanks!
Posted By: SimonB Re: Question for Simon - 11/11/05 12:02 AM
LI is right, the best place to go is the website www.lagniappe-belize.com so you can see all of the pricing and product. If I recall you're staying at AquaMarina Suites so the delivery is only $15.

If you buy groceries carefully and don't go for a lot of prepared foods it will be cheaper than eating out but if you go with prepared foods it will be the same, or, if you're eating out carefully, more than eating out.
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: Question for Simon - 11/16/05 01:06 AM
Simon: I emailed you via SAGA today to ask about some things we have in our ER that I'd like to bring to you when I come in February. Please respond at your earliest convenience, so I can start packaging the things up for travel. Already, we have a huge bag full, and only started saving today.
Thanks....
Posted By: SimonB Re: Question for Simon - 11/16/05 12:53 PM
Got your e-mail and like I said you're the greatest!

I've added a section to the front page of our order form to allow for Saga donations. 100% of the funds go to the Saga Humane Society I absorb all credit card fees. Even if you don't wish to place a provisioning order you can make a donation to a worthy cause.
Posted By: Kristykins Re: Question for Simon - 11/16/05 02:54 PM
Hey Simon, how far ahead should we call for your services & do we pay up front, or upon arrival?

Thanks !!
Posted By: SimonB Re: Question for Simon - 11/16/05 03:30 PM
Depends on your dates, right now 48 hours is all that's required. For December 20 to January 3 I would book a week to 10 days in advance to make sure we have a slot open for delivery. We only take a certain number of deliveries per day to make sure we provide the best service.

All orders must be paid 48 hours prior to arrival as we start shopping 24 to 48 hours prior to arrival.
Posted By: Dan Carey Re: Question for Simon - 11/16/05 04:09 PM
Howdy Kristykins,
maybe I can help a little. I tramp all over the world and cook for myself often. If you've ever walked down the beach and seen some knucklehead barbequeing on his balcony, that was probably me.

In San Pedro Town I recommend picking up groceries at the local stores. Meat is available at a market on Middle Street north of Rock's Store. Belize grows Ok beef, good pork and killer-bee chicken. You can get excellent fresh fruit at various carts on the street.

Have fun and eat well. To me, it's an exciting part of the trip picking up local foods and trying the local spices. I carry a backpacker's "grasshopper" stove and a little "smokey joe" grill, plus a few basic utensils and I've always been glad that I did.

Dan
Posted By: Kristykins Re: Question for Simon - 11/16/05 04:31 PM
Hey Dan the Travelin Man! laugh Thanks for the advice! I have heard that our hotel is very close to 2 different grocery stores, so many I'll just go browse around.

I'm a little hesitant about eating the meat there. Can you give any insight into what to watch out for, and be careful of?
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Question for Simon - 11/16/05 04:48 PM
Simon, what would be your delivery charge to our condo which is about 300 yards north of the cut?
Posted By: SimonB Re: Question for Simon - 11/16/05 09:55 PM
The cut to El Pescador is $25. S...
Posted By: SimonB Re: Question for Simon - 11/16/05 10:01 PM
On the meat question, I used to be a huge meat eater before I moved down here BBQing a couple of times a week even in the dead of winter (Toronto area.) Now I'm lucky if I eat meat a couple of times a month. Read into that what you may.

The only thing to watch out for or to be careful of in regards to groceries is expiry dates. Always check the date even for packaged items. Dairy products are the worst, I've found some items as much as 6 months out of date (cream cheese.) I'm thinking about dropping local orange juice from our order form as it's fermented about 10% of the time.
Posted By: Kristykins Re: Question for Simon - 11/16/05 10:28 PM
You wont go into further explanation regarding your infrequent meat eating?
Posted By: dabunk Re: Question for Simon - 11/17/05 12:06 AM
We were big meat eaters before moving to Belize. We have cut way back for several reasons. Beef is usually tough and nasty. Pork is usually good but relatively expensive. Chicken is abundant and cheap and not full of hormones and chemicals as in the US. If you live near the sea, fish is cheap and abundant. Lots of fresh fruit and veggies available, rice and beans are delicious and healthy. Meat in Belize is not the main item ona menu, it is always there but the portion is small usually if you eat like a Belizean. You can get a big plate of rice and beans, piece of chicken and a little cole slaw for 5 BZE. Much healthier way of life in my opinion. Dave
Posted By: SimonB Re: Question for Simon - 11/17/05 12:35 AM
Tastes like crap, thought the inference was there but I guess not.

Belize chicken is far better than any other I have tasted and the pineapple is superior to any other I've had (including Hawaiian.) Watermelon is top notch as well and the key limes...
Posted By: WhiteWater Re: Question for Simon - 11/17/05 12:39 AM
Ever since I read 'My Year of Meat' the idea of meat processing in general puts me off. That unease is highlighted here, probably because I assume that they don't have the regulations/controls that we have in the states. But, the chicken here is really yummy, at restaurants or from the grocery store (if you can cook). The beef and pork taste different to me, and I tend not to order or buy that.

[Disclaimer: We've just been here a few weeks, so this is not local wisdom, just personal experience.]
Posted By: SimonB Re: Question for Simon - 11/17/05 12:42 AM
The regulations and controls are probably about the same and the fact that they're not killing a cow every few seconds means that the supply is probably much safer than it is in the US.
Posted By: WhiteWater Re: Question for Simon - 11/17/05 12:59 AM
Nice to know I was wrong about that.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Question for Simon - 11/17/05 01:21 AM
Still tastes like crap.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Question for Simon - 11/17/05 01:46 AM
thought the same thing about both the beef and pork I had - husband thought pork was fine. Had lamb at Ali Baba's - best i've ever tasted anywhere and I love lamb.
Posted By: seashell Re: Question for Simon - 11/17/05 02:41 AM
I love the pork chops at Papi's and JamBel's.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board