AmbergrisCaye.com Home
I'll try to make this short. We have been spending quite abit of vacations, 3 or 4 a year in Isla Mujeres, Akumal, & Puerto Morlelos. I started looking for a little island and ran across Ambergris. It sounds wonderful. I love the golf cart thing (that's what Isla has) and we plan on visiting AC this summer. Probably not the greatest time to go but our winter vacations are already booked and we want to see if we like AC enough to go back next year in the winter.
Can someone tell me a couple of places that have a full kitchen, right on the beach with snorkeling available? My husband is recovering from cancer (he's doing great) and I need to be able to cook some of his meals.
What airlines are the best to book (we're in Michigan) so it would be Detroit Metro Airport.
Is it hard to coordinate the flight to the island after you land and which airport do I have get to? Is there more than one airport that you can land at and still get to the island?
Any other bits of info would be greatly appreciated.
Hmm. Well I can't answer all of these since I've only been there once, but I'll throw at you whatever I know.

- you can go snorkeling on the island no matter what hotel you're in. There's tour booths and companies all over the place.

- I stayed at Aquamarina Suites in December, and like most hotels there, its on the ocean, facing the Great Barrier Reef. The suite had a full kitchen. (Fridge, freezer, stove, oven, microwave, blender, sink etc)

- There is only one airport I believe, Belize International. From there you can coordinate either a 15 minute flight to the island, or a Water Taxi (hour & a half). Transportation is easy, don't worry about that. They have flights going all day.
Posted By: klcman Re: Hi Everyone...newbie here with questions - 01/12/06 11:14 PM
and from Detroit, I'm thinking you would probably book NW to Houston & Continental ( they're partners) to BZE.

That's actually one routing CO tried to put me on once when I was using FF miles.

Ask your hotel (Banana Beach also fits your lodging criteria) to book your island hopper and rest easy - south of town so you get to try out the cart thing more often laugh or walk the 20 mins or so along the beach.
Far better experience on the board than mine, but I would recommend booking your puddle-jumper flight beforehand (through hotel or on your own). Hardly ever a big deal, but I was able to get to the island ahead of another couple last visit by booking ahead -- they had to wait for the next flight.

If you really like the golf cart advanture -- listen to klc and stay at Banana Beach. I for one loved Belizean Shores -- 4 miles north on the island, but big big big units with kitchens and right on the beach with the best pool on the island. Up there the golf cart becomes more a novelty than real transportation -- the road is awful and you'd want to water taxi back to town.

Any way you can't go wrong -- have a great time.
Anna at the Palms booked my flight from BZE and then I just walked to the hotel from the SP airport. It's about a 2-minute stroll. It's a great place, on the beach, full kitchen, good patios, next to Ramons so it's easy to get to your dive/snorkeling boat. Plus, it's an easy walk to everything. I didn't have a golf cart and never needed one. I just kicked off my shoes and walked in the sand to wherever I was headed.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Hi Everyone...newbie here with questions - 01/16/06 09:02 PM
what is your price range, do you have one? I really like your name, I think it's cool and cute.
Posted By: mobunny Re: Hi Everyone...newbie here with questions - 01/16/06 09:09 PM
The Palms is a great choice. Full size kitchen, great location, nicely appointed rooms, great tropical pool in back, friendly staff. Check out our pics if you want. Lots of Palms shots at:

http://www.moandirm.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=16 (I am still working on relabeling this set of pics)

http://www.moandirm.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=15 (Our friends spent a night in one of the two bedroom suites at The Palms and I took some pics)

mobunny cool
Thanks for all the info, as for the name, I picked it up in Kauai for the drink I always ordered. My price range goes anywhere from 100 - 125, I haven't really checked out the going prices at the places everyone has recommended but I will. Got to say this board is great. No problem getting answers. Thanks again
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Hi Everyone...newbie here with questions - 01/16/06 11:35 PM
oh boy! If I chose my name for the coctail I like most in SP my name would be "HORNY MONKEY" good thing I didn't! lol. I do think yours is cute though.
Posted By: sandb Re: Hi Everyone...newbie here with questions - 01/17/06 12:32 AM
mobunny: your pictures are great as is your accommodation recommendation.
Tina: considering the three places you mentioned, you have great taste! I have stayed at all places on AC mentioned thus far. Aside from a private residence, Victoria House, or Mata Chica, you will not find a nicer room and facilities than The Palms. It is also nicely located.
Good luck! ...and the NW and CO flights would be the easiest from DTW. smile
Thanks again, I will check out each one mentioned. I'm sure I'll find what I'm looking for thanks to all of you...and I think Horny Monkey would be a great board name...think of all the attention you'd get.
Posted By: klcman Re: Hi Everyone...newbie here with questions - 01/17/06 01:35 AM
don't encourage her :rolleyes: wink
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Hi Everyone...newbie here with questions - 01/17/06 01:59 AM
Geeeeze.
hey Horny Monkey- Your Energizers worn out?
LOL...with my board name I've found it has several meanings...Horney Monkey is pretty self explanatory, you could still have fun with it
Posted By: marge Re: Hi Everyone...newbie here with questions - 01/17/06 03:22 AM
AA and Delta fly good flights too. I'm flying on Delta through Atlanta to Belize in a couple of weeks from Detroit. We will post pictures of Mata Rocks when we return. www.moandirm.com who are members on this board as mobunny has some great pictures of Mata Rocks. I know, as I look at them daily. Ha! Ha!
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Hi Everyone...newbie here with questions - 01/17/06 04:51 AM
thanks Tina. Unfortunately Horny Monkey does not fit my personality so I will have to pass.
Klc, as far as encouraging me you could keep encouraging me and 'peer pressure' wouldn't make me budge on anything wink
Posted By: JeanH Re: Hi Everyone...newbie here with questions - 01/20/06 09:21 PM
We ended up on Ambergris Caye a few years ago when my husband told me to 'find him some place like Isla or Playa del Carmen where they speak English'. Only downside is, we've only been back to Mexico once since.

If you don't need a pool, look into Belizean Reef for your stay. The condos are beautiful, location is great, and it's well in your price range.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board