AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: David Marin FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/18/06 06:05 PM
THE COMMUNITY CONTINUES TO MOURN THE DEATH OF OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR WHO PASSED AWAY ON WEDNESDAY APRIL 12, 2006. A FUNDRAISING DRIVE WILL BE HELD TOMORROW WEDNESDAY APRIL 19, 2006 STARTING FROM 7AM ON THE REEF RADIO. FUNDS RAISED WILL BE USED FOR TRANSPORATION AND BURIAL EXPENSES. THE BODY IS BEING PREPARED FOR BURIAL IN SAN PEDRO. YOUR CASH DONATIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR SUPPORT� MESSAGE FROM THE REEF RADIO AND FRIENDS OF DR OTTO RODRIGUEZ AND FAMILY. FOR PLEDGES OR CASH DONATIONS CONTACT MRS. FLORA ANCONA AT CELL NUMBER 602-7687. THANK YOU.
Posted By: Alfredo Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/18/06 07:44 PM
Dr. Otto Rodriguez has done so much for this community that i applaud the efforts of those involve in helping him through this difficult time. My condolences to the entire family and may God Bless this kind and caring community.
Posted By: SimonB Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/18/06 11:12 PM
Now I have to edit as someone pulled a relevant post above.

One of the greatest things about this community is its heart and open pocket to whatever the cause.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/18/06 11:40 PM
deleted
Posted By: Ernie B Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/18/06 11:51 PM
Is Otto's family in need of help? I didnt know him or his parents. Just would like to know.
As I know it to be in Belizean Culture or funerals I've atttended it was something you did in a financial contribution to the family in time of grief.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/19/06 12:44 AM
I accept that.
Posted By: dabunk Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/19/06 03:04 AM
My mother just passed away last Sunday here in PG, even though we have the means to do it all, our Belizean family and friends took care of all the details. I loved Belize before and love it even more now. Having money does not make a family, Belize has tought me that. Have you ever had to put your dead family member in the back of your truck and take her to the hospital, or wash the body before burial? You certainly need friends and family to help you get through that.
Posted By: dabunk Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/19/06 03:13 AM
Pedro, I do not know the community or the people involved so I choose not to comment. But I do not see anyone twisting anyones arm to contribute. Each person can make their own decision. If this man and his son were important in the life of someone, let them do it. I do not see anyone begging, I may be wrong.
Posted By: kelly d Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/19/06 03:14 AM
My heart goes out to everyone who will miss the young boy who died. As to the monetary donations to his family...if they are financially secure, and I assume so if the father is a physician, they may choose to re-donate the money they receive to some sort of charity. People will still be able to make donations if they feel that is the proper custom, the family can graciously accept those donations, then donate the money received to a charity of their choice. Seems all concerned would be satisfied that way.
Posted By: dabunk Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/19/06 03:24 AM
There are three doctors here in PG, not one of them rich. But anyone of them would come out at 3 AM if my mom needed it and not one ever asked for a dime, only told me to make a donation to the PG hospital. I wish there were some still like that in the US.
Posted By: SimonB Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/19/06 03:25 AM
Almost the same here.
Posted By: deacon+ Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/19/06 03:29 AM
How much of a proper donation are we talking about?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/19/06 03:30 AM
thanks for the kindness, Marty! (and the clean up!)
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/19/06 03:35 AM
OK - I give in I personally donate 50 bzd -please let everybody match this
Posted By: Anonymous Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/19/06 03:37 AM
Hello, Peter - I suspected there was a heart in there somewhere... not so sure about the liver laugh
Posted By: deacon+ Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/19/06 05:01 AM
Pedro, Your on, Where do I send a check?
Dr Otto has unselfishly served the community of San Pedro since 1982 and has never made money a priority in his life .Doctors in San Pedro will never be rich.I have never known him to send a bill for services rendered and he has sacrficed his own health for that of his community.His pay from Belize Govt would be much less than that of a hospital porter in the USA.Just the transport to and from the city will be a hardship for him and his family and he deserves any help given.As a nurse I have the utmost respect for him.
For all you divers out there, Dr. Otto would be there for you when you were in trouble at the decompression chamber, day or night. If it doesn't feel right for you to donate directly to the family, consider giving a donation to the chamber in his son's memory. He has done so much for all of us, it's time to give a little back.
Simon, sorta wish you would have kept part of that post. I think the information is definitely useful for people who may not understand the theory behind raising money for a doctor's family. Anyway, will gladly match the $50. I'll be down soon.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/19/06 02:46 PM
me too.
Posted By: Alfredo Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/19/06 03:09 PM
Was hearing the Reef Radio program this morning and it is amazing the big heart that the people have in San Pedro. In a little over an hour, local folks called in to give their contributions to Dr. Otto and his family. They raised about $7,500.00. An account will be opened at a local bank and the checks can be made to Dr. Otto Rodriguez. I am proud to have contributed.
likewise
David/Alfredo,

Do you have information as to what bank this account is set up?
Posted By: SimonB Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/20/06 04:42 PM
As of 10:30am this morning $15,295BZ has been pledged.
We are working on the bank info. Thank you for your patience. We are quite busy today helping arrange final funeral services. I will post banking information later on today.
Posted By: Marty Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/21/06 03:54 AM
thanks David. lots of folks can donate easily this way
We, who know Dr Otto, can find little to console him and his grieving family. A couple of dollars is the least one can do. A nice letter or card will also tell him and his family that we care.
I have to ask what exactly happened to this young man
Posted By: klcman Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/21/06 04:43 PM
go read the paper - Ambergris Today
Posted By: Anonymous Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/21/06 07:15 PM
I greeted Dr. Otto at the end of Otto junior's funeral service yesterday, and the poor man looked totally shell-shocked. Nothing can compensate him for the dreadful loss he and his family have experienced, but it may be of comfort to them all that so many people attended the service and the burial afterwards. Perhaps some of the money raised can be used to build a fitting memorial? And given Otto senior's devotion to public service, I wouldn't be surprised if he would support the balance being used to fight the drug problem here in San Pedro.
BANKING INFORMATION FOR DONATIONS TO OTTO RODRIGUEZ. ATLANTIC BANK LIMITED, SAN PEDRO TOWN, BELIZE. (ACCOUNT # 210787013). THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR KIND SUPPORT.
Posted By: collyk Re: FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR OTTO RODRIGUEZ JR. - 04/21/06 08:46 PM
I just thought I would bump this up. While I love animals and work with them, I have a greater affinity with my own species and feel that this deserves more attention.
it must be heart breaking for dr. otto. i feel for him.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board