AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Pedro1 Fruit Lady Donations - 04/22/06 01:12 AM
Lets keep this site real-this is for money only-in english [#%!] off to another site for jokes and banal conversations
We will start the donations 300bzd-
This a worthwhile cause/a lovely lady never hurt anyone/I was told she was dead -did not sell drugs-sold fruit-not knowing her or her finances I am fairly sure this family has very little money due to selling fruit on the street is not one of the profitable enterprises in San Pedro-remember she is still alive and donations could make a difference.
will work out pledges through cc machines
Posted By: deacon+ Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/22/06 01:29 AM
Pedro1,what are cc machines???
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/22/06 01:33 AM
Credit card machine-
Posted By: Scuba do Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/22/06 02:27 AM
I will match your 300bzd,Pedro1 and throw in a prayer
Posted By: deacon+ Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/22/06 02:38 AM
Can't match but you can count on me.
Posted By: sdh Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/22/06 03:27 AM
Is she alive and if so what is needed ?
Posted By: ambergrishog Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/22/06 11:26 AM
Pedro1, If you can work it out through the credit card machine, I will match your 300 bzd, and challenge all of those boarders who also leave their heart in AC everytime they board Mayan or Tropic Air to return home. The fruit stand lady is such a wonderful person and is so typical of the friendly Belizean people that make the AC experience so unique. If CC works, I will PM you with info.
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/22/06 12:24 PM
Gotta match from me, too, Pedro. Not sure how to do it through a cc machine, but can we do it via paypal? Or can I get it to you when I'm there next month? Thank you for picking this up and running with it. I'm sure her family will be appreciative as well.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/22/06 09:10 PM
steve from Coconet internet Cafe has allowed us to use his cc machine-please email all details to him--remember obviously: the cc no.;the back 3 nos. on the card;exp.date and a short note allowing him to deduct x amount from your card-hopefull the first installment will be made on tuesday at the hospital
Posted By: sdh Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/22/06 11:30 PM
Peter, can we drop off cash or cheque donations with him or yourself?
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/22/06 11:38 PM
Absolutely-but unlike someone who has died -I believe we need to receive money asap or immediately-if cash or cheque please get a receipt from steve or myself-with a cc -that is a receipt in itself
Posted By: Scuba do Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/23/06 01:36 PM
Pedro1,I know Steve,but do not have his E-mail,could you post it to make donations to this wonderful cause,thanks- David
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/23/06 03:58 PM
Steve's email

[email protected]
Posted By: Scuba do Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/23/06 05:11 PM
Thanks
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 03:47 AM
Unfortunately many people do not see this as a good cause-however for the ones who have donated a big thankk-you and I will be taking all received funds to the hospital on tuesday morning
Posted By: Scuba do Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 03:11 PM
I have E-mailed Steve with my info,everything went smooth,I encourage anyone "on the fence" to hop off on the compassion side and E-mail Steve with your credit card info to help this poor woman recover from her injuries. Pedro will be traveling to the hospital Tuesday morning,so this gives us time to increase our donor base.
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 03:15 PM
Did it...come on everyone. We can make a huge difference in this family's lives by donating. Every cent helps. Please give what you can.
Posted By: Scuba do Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 03:34 PM
Way to Go Sun & Sand,let's make a difference board !!!
Posted By: Windjammer Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 03:49 PM
Did it last night. Hope you got it Steve.
Posted By: Scuba do Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 05:02 PM
next....
Posted By: FishingSanPedro Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 05:14 PM
Thanks,

So far I have donations from:

Mobunny
Windjammer
Scuba Do
Wayne H. Logan
W T Cotten
Kath Walker

It takes a few days to turn the credit card slip into cash. Peter is going to the mainland Thursday SO I will need to make any other deposits today or tomorrow in order to give him the cash to take to the family.

Steve
Posted By: deacon+ Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 05:24 PM
Steve answre you email, please.
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 06:42 PM
just sent mine. God Bless.
Posted By: Chris Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 07:07 PM
I'm in for $200.00BZE, Pedro you and I can sort it out later.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 07:13 PM
OK, Bz$200 from me. I'll drop it into Coconet. I do think this is a very good cause and would love to contribute more, but times are hard.....
Posted By: deacon+ Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 07:39 PM
Does anyone know how she is and if see will be able to return?
Posted By: FishingSanPedro Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 07:53 PM
Pedro2 just dropped by with a donation,

Thanks Pedro2
Posted By: Tillie Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 07:54 PM
I was just curious. Is there anyone else to write the check/money to? All other fundrasiers have had bank account numbers or family members names to give the money to vs. an individual raising funds.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 08:04 PM
Tillie-get lost-this site is for people who wish to donate money not chat and argue semantics.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 08:07 PM
Hold on -no chat
Posted By: Tillie Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 08:08 PM
Originally posted by deacon+:
Tillie, what are you really trying to say?
deacon, i wrote exactly what I am trying to say, please read above. Don't try to read into things. I wrote what I wanted to know, nothing more.
Posted By: Tillie Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 08:26 PM
I personally would like to contribute directly. I have never met you or the other party collecting. Each other fundraiser had an account # or family name to donate to. I am not looking to fight with you. Thank you.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 09:02 PM
I understand what you say, but speaking for myself I know and (therefore) trust both sdemaio and pedro1 and am happy to use them as the conduit for my donation. I haven't heard of any more direct route.
Posted By: FishingSanPedro Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 09:15 PM
Mark Leonard just dropped by with a donation from Paradise Found Belize Real Estate.
Posted By: deacon+ Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 09:17 PM
S, check your email and PM, please
Posted By: reaper Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/24/06 11:07 PM
P1, cover me for $100usd. I'll be in town the 27TH of May. Get the beer chill'n! Thanks!
Posted By: FishingSanPedro Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/25/06 01:01 AM
Well, Jan (pronounced yan) from Portifino just came by with $300,

Thanks buddy
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/25/06 01:03 AM
reaper

You are covered
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/25/06 01:19 AM
Steve, Mine is the one sent from the @yarbrough.com email address.
Posted By: reaper Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/25/06 01:54 AM
Thanks mate, breakfast at Estel's to cover the interest.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/25/06 02:55 AM
Gee, Reaper - I thought I was having breakfast at Estel's with you & the missus? :p
Posted By: reaper Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/25/06 03:44 AM
10 days...we'll have time cool
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/25/06 03:48 AM
you might - I'm a busy gal laugh
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/25/06 05:55 PM
An update

We have found out the vehicle no. that hit Julia -Tony Flynn Chairman of RFG (the largest Insurance Company in Belize) is going to find out if the golf cart is insured -if it is -he will make sure the company involved (including his own) will expedite the insurance payments (easy when you know the right people)-if it is not insured well that is another problem-lets hope it is insured
Posted By: mobunny Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/25/06 05:59 PM
Good job you guys. Keep us posted. mo
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/26/06 05:48 PM
Thanks Peter. Any updates on the money collected? Interested in what this board was able to generate...
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/26/06 08:14 PM
Otter -I will be just under 3000 bbzd to the hospital -will check exactly the total amount with Steve
Posted By: Scuba do Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/27/06 01:58 AM
If not for the help of people like Pedro1,Steve from CocoNets,SimonB,Marty and many other locals with big hearts, we who live elsewhere would not be able to show compassion from afar when situations arise on AC such as this.For this,and all your contributions to make San Pedro a better place to visit,we thank you from afar.David Nisbet Saint Joseph,Illinois
Posted By: Marty Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/27/06 04:07 AM
p1 can you cover me for a hundred US we can figure it out later between us

thanks....

rooting for insurance...
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: Fruit Lady Donations - 04/27/06 11:53 AM
Way to Go...I'm so very proud of everyone who participated.

Fundraising efforts to cover the medical costs of Julia Menjibar Guerrero (the Fruit Stand Lady) got underway last week in San Pedro with the help of several online good Samaritans and the Reef Radio. 57-year-old Julia suffered serious injuries when she got hit by a golf car while working at her fruit stand on Coconut Drive and had to be flown by helicopter to Belize City for emergency medical treatment.

Julia's accident occurred on April 11 and since then, she has undergone 3 operations due to complications arising from the serious injuries obtained when the golf car ran over her body. During the course of medical treatment at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (K.H.M.H.), Julia has lost one of her kidneys and part of her intestine. When our newspaper talked to her via phone this Tuesday, Julia told us from her hospital bed that she has been suffering from very high fevers and pain.

Last week, Steve DeMaio of Coconet Internet and Peter Lawrence, spearheaded a fundraising effort online through the Ambergris Caye message board, which netted over $2,000 towards assistance for Julia Guerrero. Online good Samaritans donated funds for Julia, some without even knowing the "fruit stand lady", but giving with warm-hearted compassion. Eiden Salazar and David Marin from the Reef Radio were also asked by a friend of Julia's to help with fundraising efforts to pay the medical bills, and both started organizing a drive to raise funds and alert the San Pedro community of the 57-year-old's plight (it is to be noted that many in San Pedro believed rumors saying that Julia was dead).

"Thank you very much for your help," Julia told Ambergris Today with a feeble voice in Spanish on the phone this Tuesday. "God bless you all." Her husband, Arnulfo Escobar Regalado, was near her during this time and he explained to us via phone that she was very tired, but cheerful that people were helping her. "All you good people are giving my wife great hope for recuperating during these very difficult times," said Arnulfo in Spanish. "I cannot get tired of saying, God bless you all and thanks very much."

It has indeed been quite difficult for Julia, her family, and many other families in San Pedro as many tragedies have afflicted the town over the past few weeks. Medical costs in the country are very high, but good Samaritans from San Pedro and elsewhere in the world have poured out their hearts with support and money to help alleviate the suffering of the afflicted. We cannot emphasize enough how amazing the efforts have been through these very difficult times for the families of these unfortunate souls. Thank you.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board