AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: mikeh375 Is it safe? - 04/26/06 10:56 AM
I've only been a member of this forum for slightly less than 2 months, so I realize I don't have the benefit of a long time learning curve. However, in that short period of time, it seems as though there have been numerous reports/postings of violent incidents on AC, including murders, homicides, thefts, assults,golf cart accidents, reckless driving, and the reviled dog poisonings. I guess what I'm looking for is reassurances that AC and San Pedro are generally safe for the visitor. Anyone care to comment?
Posted By: Now Danny Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 11:13 AM
Not to worry.
Posted By: JDTremblay Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 01:16 PM
OK this is a good time to hear from the locals speak up yall
Posted By: streetchie Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 01:24 PM
Ahh...the age old question of safety on the island. There are a spectrum of opinions here and I'm sure this thread will get heated before pulled in a few days. My 2 cents worth is that we DO have a crime problem on the island. I have only had minor things stolen from my house, but in January my son was mugged while walking to a restaurant. The thugs robbed him of only about $50 but beat him up pretty good for no reason. If you come to AC be very cautious walking alone and at night, as you should do anywhere you travel.....or at home for that matter.
Posted By: Scuba do Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 01:58 PM
I live in downstate Illinois and know that almost any area in the US has more violent crime than San Pedro.I have spent over 100 days on the island lately and have seen no crime with my own eyes.The Cubs don't win here very often,but it is big news here when they do,crime on AC is the same,big news when it does happen.Come on down and enjoy what this pristine island has to offer,you will be well pleased.
Posted By: JZB Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 02:22 PM
The only major crime on the island is petty theft. Always lock your golf cart or bike. Lock your doors when you leave or when you go to sleep at night. And don't go counting your roll of $100 bills walking down the deserted street at night. Just use common sense and you will not have any problems whatsoever. I don't remember hearing of any unprovoked violent crimes on the island in a while. I consider Ambergris to be very safe.
Posted By: streetchie Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 02:57 PM
You guys don't consider murder, rape and muggings major violent crime? How about the murder of a Fido's security guard about 6 months ago? Is this "unprovoked violent crime?"
Posted By: JDTremblay Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 03:02 PM
Here is the Million dollar question on an island so small why is petty theft the major crime you would think if everybody knows everybody it would be easy to stop this wouldnt it ???
Posted By: Scuba do Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 03:54 PM
streechie-we have had 17 murders in downstate Illinois since Fido's six months ago,this board is used as info for new travelers,if you are scared to walk the cobblestone streets of San Pedro,then don't..they are FAR SAFER than the streets of the good old USA,that is all we are saying.Tell me, any violent crime in Boston lately ?
Posted By: SimonB Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 04:06 PM
I know it's semantics but the Fidos incident took place on 07/25/05. This is still a very safe place to live and visit but common sense should always prevail.

The island population is now somewhere around 15,000 many of who have arrived in the last 3 or 4 years. The only time you know almost everyone you see is when the island is evacuated during hurricane threats and you stay behind.
Posted By: Belikin Bill Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 04:12 PM
The island has it share of crime for is size. The important thing was mentioned above. USE COMMON SENSE!!!!!!! and you will have no trouble. If you choose to get shit faced drunk, flash a bunch of cash, and stumble down the beach then you deserve what you get.
Posted By: Trinigal Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 04:33 PM
Well from where I am coming from - Trinidad anywhere is safer statistics wise. I can't find the exat figure but its been about 180 murders for the year. And that's how many bodies they have found. Unofficial figure for last year was 582, official 387.

And now they have convicted the opposition leader of corruption, thrown him in prision. And though it hasn't been announced as yet are going to call a snap election.

Still Banana republics are cool!
Posted By: Jackie22 Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 04:33 PM
When I visited SP three weeks again, I felt very safe... actually much safer than I ever have in a foreign country. I've been to Jamaica, Cancun and the Cayman Islands, and by far San Pedro left me with a better sense of security than these other places. I do agree... crime in the US is way more common than down in San Pedro and I should know Houston sees violent crimes on a daily basis. The important thing is to be aware of your surroundings at all time.
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 04:59 PM
Yep, Jackie. I concur.
Posted By: streetchie Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 05:17 PM
Scuba, Yes, plenty of violent crime in Boston lately. That's why I've owned property in Belize for more than 10 years and have lived on AC full time for nearly 6. I'm not saying that San Pedro is like East LA. But we do have our share of serious crimes. Murder and rape (even of tourists) among those crimes. To say that 5 or 6 murders per year in a community of 15,000 is normal or very safe is b.s. All I'm saying is be careful and aware in San Pedro and wherever you are, US included.
Posted By: ArtZ SmartZ Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 09:27 PM
Everyone above aren't just whistling Dixie. There is more crime in a given day in any US city than during a year in San Pedro. I have been traveling to Belize for eight years and have never felt threaten. Leave your worries at home. Have NO FEAR you will have a great memorable vacation.
Posted By: JZB Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 10:14 PM
When I say 'Major' crime, I mean the stuff that happens on a regular basis. Murder is unusual on this island, especially of average joe tourist. I feel very comfortable here.
Posted By: deacon+ Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 10:22 PM
Years ago while in San Juan a man in the shopping district yelled out " I am old and tired,if you want come take from me what you will". He was beat and robbed with no help from anyone. If you don't want an answer to your question, don't ask.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 10:28 PM
If you behave sensibly as people have said above and in addition steer well clear of the drug scene you should experience AC as a low-key, pleasant and safe venue. It is not crime free, but there really is very little reported crime above petty theft.
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 10:49 PM
Dad always told me: whereever there are people, there will be crimes.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Is it safe? - 04/26/06 11:25 PM
I may be senile streetchie but in the 6 years I've been in Belize I only remember 4 confirmed murders in San Pedro. Two of those involving fights between locals. If you can back up your numbers of 5 or 6 per year with documentation I'd love to see it.

On further thought there were 2 more in those 6 years.
Posted By: kelly d Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 01:59 AM
I grew up in Hawaii. Waikiki to be exact. I go back to visit most every year. Waikiki is a VERY safe city if you stay on the beaten path, with lots of people, you're relatively sober, and you're aware of your surroundings.

Waikiki is very UNsafe if you leave the main streets, stumble like you're drunk, go into dark areas with no people, etc. I feel the same way about Las Vegas. There is always safety in numbers and lights, and always risk in dark, deserted areas.

Tourism always attracts a bad element, but if the majority of the locals are good people, I think the place should be considered relatively safe.
Posted By: LaraTravelBelize Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 03:22 AM
ok..i never chime in this type of post but here i go...

i was there in late march, 34 year old female, traveling alone. i went out every night.

was i a COMPLETE IDIOT if i walked home from the bar alone? YES! Not because i was in san pedro, but because i had been drinking, was in a foreign country, didnt know my way around, and was asking for trouble.

FORTUNATELY, i found none. Frankly, what i did find was a number of ticked off locals that were very angry with me for wandering off alone. I can assure you, i felt safer walking the streets of san pedro than i did West Phila., where you dont stop for red lights lest you be car jacked.

A resounding "here here" to those that say common sense prevails. Ambergris Caye is NOT paradise. Paradise does not exist. What AC is, is an amazing place with amazing people. It is where people make their homes, and their lives.

Paradise, it only exists in fiction and fairy tales. And so does a place with zero crime.

Lets keep our perspective, and our statistics. As well as our heads.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 03:59 AM
hmmm I used to live in Vegas(great place to vacation, horrible to live), never felt "safe" most of the time. 5 years there. locals not such great people. I feel the opposite here
Posted By: hot crossed buns Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 04:08 AM
Kra-Z-K, the people of Las Vegas are great. I have lived all over the world and some of the best people I have ever met live in Las Vegas. I agree it not a great place to live but do not down the people.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 05:16 AM
I do not look down on the people, there are plenty of good people everwhere in the world and plenty of intelligent people in every place. If I downed all the people I would not have been one living there 5 yrs. That was the only reason I did not think it was a great place to live. There was no other reason as that town had everything and at any time. So close to so many great places to get away to too. Did you live in Las Vegas? In general, I found many people's mentalities and priorities to be quite different than anywhere else in the states . This is my personal opinion so if this is considered downing the people I have to give my honesty as I do on everything else. sorry...
Posted By: streetchie Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 01:23 PM
Ok Simon, As I see it, 'Tonio Almendarez, Danielo Villataro, Heavy D from Big Daddy's, Les Langdon and the incident at Elvi's add up to 5 murders since July. Again, I'm not hiding out at my house frightened of being robbed.....just saying that we, as a community, need to recognize these problems and deal with them. I'm tired of people on this board, who don't live here, trivializing crime such as murder. Yes, nearly all tourists and locals spend there days on our beautiful island without any problems at all, but they should still be quite aware that these problems exist.
Posted By: Bzedoll Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 02:06 PM
I hope everybody realizes that the Murders committed on this island have always been commited by people who move here from somewhere else. The locals are wonderful people. We all work very hard to make sure that all our guests leave safe and happy.

Please practice common sense when here.

Steer clear of drug dealers unless you want them to be your personal tour guides during your whole stay. It is fun to know that you can get your fix very easily but remember alomost all murders up to date are drug related.
Posted By: Tim Jeffers Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 02:15 PM
streetchie- incident at Elvi's within the last year...

Bzedoll- Murders committed on this island have always been committed by people who move here from somewhere else...

You both need to make corrections here.
Posted By: streetchie Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 02:33 PM
Tim....a body was found on Pescador behind Elvi's in August or September. The cause of death was blunt trauma to the head and ruled a murder.....not to be confused with the incident in '02 or '03.
Posted By: mikeh375 Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 03:14 PM
Originally posted by streetchie:
Ok Simon, As I see it, 'Tonio Almendarez, Danielo Villataro, Heavy D from Big Daddy's, Les Langdon and the incident at Elvi's add up to 5 murders since July. Again, I'm not hiding out at my house frightened of being robbed.....just saying that we, as a community, need to recognize these problems and deal with them. I'm tired of people on this board, who don't live here, trivializing crime such as murder. Yes, nearly all tourists and locals spend there days on our beautiful island without any problems at all, but they should still be quite aware that these problems exist.
Wasn't young Robbie Rodriguez death ruled a homicide as well?

Sorry, my bad. I meant Otto
Posted By: NYgal Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 03:29 PM
Mikeh....go and enjoy your time smile

Don't place worry in front of you. Just take care of you and yours. That's what life is all about.
ENJOY smile
Posted By: krehfish Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 03:33 PM
I was in SP last July/August. Listened to the rumors, the radio accounts, the rally speeches etc. In the weeks following there seemed to be a genuine sense that things could and would change. Changes in the PD, more police presence, citizen patrols, more citizen reporting of crime, drug, and suspicious behavior, police randomly stopping youth on the street, an attempt to document "presence" of persons w/o purpose. Has it continued? Has it helped?
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 03:46 PM
Have any tourist ever been murdered in SP & what is the percentage of violent crimes committed against tourist? I would think tourist murdered would be ZIP and violent crimes against tourist very small.
Posted By: JDTremblay Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 05:07 PM
from ambergris caye today news paper

Narco Weapons Found!
Rifles and ammo cached on island behind San Pedro

Three weeks ago, Belize police found 34 high-powered rifles buried on the small island of Deer Caye (known locally as Cayo Venado), which lies just west of North Ambergris Caye, near the Belize/Mexico border. Last week Thursday, April 20, police once more found another cache assortment of weapons, ammunition, and fuel, on a small island lying about 1 mile north of Deer Caye.

The deadly arsenal is definitely not for deer hunting or fishing. Apparently, the area is a major storage site for the "narcos" or narco-traffickers who use the islands as a supply stop for their "go-fast" boats, which traffic the large amounts of drugs to Mexico and its final destination, the U.S.A.

Acting on intelligence, the Belize Police Force Anti-Drug Unit and Belize Coast Guard found a Russian-made AK-47 assault rifle, an American-made AR-15 rifle ('civilian version' of the M-16 rifle used by U.S. armed forces) and an Uzi submachine gun (a sentimental favorite of the narcos, made famous in the Hollywood movie 'Scarface'), along with magazines and assorted ammunition. Police also found large tanks of fuel and radio antennas. No one was arrested, but police believe that the firearms and the fuel were to be used for refueling go-fast drug vessels heading to the Mexico and the U.S.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 05:48 PM
Robbie would be surprised to hear of his death, as I look out the window he's working out on the dock.

I think you are thinking of Otto and it has not been ruled as homicide as yet.

I too am unaware of a murder on Pescador Drive.

The point I'm trying to make is that there is an awful lot of fear mongering and exaggeration.

5 or 6 murders per year would mean that there have been 30 or 40 murders on the island since I arrived in Belize. This is just not even close to reality.
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 06:09 PM
Originally posted by JDTremblay:
I tell yall what i just read a artical on world net daily about belize WOW if most people read it they would never come to the country i didnt even think about posting the link it was pretty bad stuff
What is your point?
Posted By: JDTremblay Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 06:38 PM
no point I guess
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 06:48 PM
Damn man, don't roll over so easy.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 06:58 PM
Checked out that series of articles. Just my opinion, but I'd wager people who visit that website with any degree of frequency wouldn't be happy anywhere out of mainstream U.S. (please feel free to slaughter me for the inappropriate stereotyping.)
Posted By: klcman Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 07:39 PM
I know that site as well, L. NOT one of the most respected unbiased news agencies.

And for the record, the most damaging article, IMHO - a year and a half old. :rolleyes:
Posted By: glass1 Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 11:11 PM
We have lived here for 3 years and never had a problem,The island is safer than most,jsut don't go strolling around late at night half dressed and loaded,then you might run into a few minor problems,carry a stick or borrow a dog if your out late,dogs are your best protection.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 11:39 PM
Did you hear that, Dog? Are you available for late night protection? wink
Posted By: SimonB Re: Is it safe? - 04/27/06 11:51 PM
Haven't found anything on World Net Daily yet but I did find an interesting article on the Commonwealth.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=21707
Posted By: SimonB Re: Is it safe? - 04/28/06 12:07 AM
Found the article, some substance but greatly overblown and the sources...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Is it safe? - 04/28/06 12:16 AM
There ya go, Simon - what a bunch of :rolleyes:
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator Re: Is it safe? - 04/28/06 01:07 AM
I'd be serious about protection until someone threw a stick, then I'd get distracted.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Is it safe? - 04/28/06 04:18 AM
Spoken like a true man - I mean dog - I mean...
well, really, does it matter? laugh
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board