AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: captjeff cars on the island?? - 06/09/06 08:31 PM
are cars allowed on ambergris caye ??I always thought no cars exexpt for construction/and taxis but in my three years of vists have seen cars many cars with there boom box playing loud muisc, they always look the same dark color with dark tinted windows,whats the real story ?? just read in the paper[ambergris caye today ] that a 7 year old kid was hit by one of those cars we all see.the driver you ask,well a 20 year old girl ,you guessed it no insurance no driver license but not the owner??the man she was with ,named junior he ,was the owner,maybe junior soprano ?? he said he did not authorize her to drive it?? but he was with her when they ran over the child ???duh duh..the police did not charge him only the driver .a scary story in itself as he was with her????????????..
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: cars on the island?? - 06/09/06 09:08 PM
Maybe he did not know he was in "His" car jeff. He must have thought it was someone elses car. Were They leaving BC's on a sunday afternoon? :rolleyes:
Posted By: captjeff Re: cars on the island?? - 06/09/06 09:22 PM
2 miles north thats a good one ,but do not think it was drink?? but the other d word?..but any way whats the deal with cars can you bring a car here and keep it here??? may be wiil leave my mercedes convertible at your house??? or park it at my condoat at royal palm.. will be cool driving to peters for a beer/pizza to go .or may eat in at the new bistro got to call chef adam and ask do they have valet parking?? all kidding aside, whats the deal would like to only see only golf carts,and bicycles on the road,maybe just a dream and it is too late??????????
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: cars on the island?? - 06/09/06 09:42 PM
Vehicles are allowed on the island with a permit from the San Pedro Traffic Committee, not an easy thing to get. Many folks have been "grandfathered" in and pass down their permits to family members.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: cars on the island?? - 06/09/06 09:51 PM
Cappy, I don't think you can get The M benz up to my place without scratching it ( or maybe getting carjacked)( just kiddin!) eek But if you can I'd love to use it to cruse into town for dinner at casa picasso. I was crusing around last week with a friend in a toyota truck to captian sharks to pick up stuff for my boat so I guess its ok if you have the permit as SIN has stated.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 02:25 AM
I was horrified when I read that story. I have 3 kids. Some of my friends think I am over protective but I really don't like them to ride their bikes on the road, and I don't like them walking on road either. Like my Dad always said, it's not yourself you have to worry about, it's all the other idiots on the road you have to watch out for!!

So many unlicensed kids here have a few beers and think it is wonderful to drive 30 mph down some of the island straightaways. Well it probably is funny, til you burst a tire and/or run out of control and hurt yourself, the vehicle, or even worse , a poor passerby.
Posted By: Phil Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 03:57 AM
Sadly vehicle permits are obviously not difficult to get, as within just the last six months there are now dozens and dozens of cars where there were none before. Can a vehicle permit be grandfathered? My understanding of that term is that a permit is issued as ownership occurred before a restriction, but until recently vehicle permits were supposedly - or still are - under a moratorium, and previously were tightly controlled.

While most visitors and new Belizeans think the less vehicles the better, the flip side to the coin is more than worth consideration too: what right does the "Johnny come lately" have to decide what locals can or can't do with their new (or not) found wealth.

Cars, Vans and Trucks are probably here in San Pedro to stay, so what to do. We now have quite a lot of vehicles with no real test procedures for roadworthiness, roads that are not roadworthy and a high percentage of the driving population with almost no training or skills, even if in possession of a license. This extends beyond the drivers to the cyclists and pedestrians too, as there is very little road sense here; as none has been necessary until recently.

Kids and Adults alike continually run or walk into the road in front of me, pull out from a Stop sign or parking space right in front of my Golf Cart, without even a thought that something might be coming that's fast, hard and painful if it hits you.

On a good day, with a full charge, I hit the giddy heights of 10mph, and so far I've had the foresight to avoid a problem or managed to stop or swerve. A vehicle at 20 or 30mph has no chance on these streets, brakes clogged with salt and sand and a vehicle that's probably not seen a service mechanic since something last broke - even if in the hands of an excellent driver.

A total revamp of the driving test and license renewals - I believe they have a maximum three year validity - is urgently needed. Equally so is an extensive road safety campaign for cyclists and pedestrians taught preferably in school - in the UK the Green Cross Code and Cycling Proficiency and something similar in the US I'm sure - is urgently needed.

Progress comes with issues it seems.
Posted By: bywarren Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 06:17 AM
I wonder what the total amount of fines for just one day would be if tickets were issued for every stop sign that was run and every vehicle that exceeded the speed limit? :rolleyes:

Of course what ever that amount would be, just think how much more it would be if the police also ticketed themselves.
Posted By: captjeff Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 01:43 PM
thank you for giving me the facts,about cars on the island .as I am only a johnny come lately ,and I am sharing only my opinion !!! Would it not be in the towns best intrest and all local belizeans ,to heavily fine or jail ,drunks ,dopers or uninsured, and unlicensed drivers ?? some of the local people in power have kids , or a grandchild on the island.. but to let the owner of a car get away with crap like just happen is joke on all local folks.Again I am just a once a month gringo who would like like to see only good things for sanpedro.It is a great plce to live the dream..
Posted By: SimonB Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 01:46 PM
bywarren, lots!

jeff, it's kind of hard to say the person driving didn't have permission when the owner was in the passenger seat.

2miles, it happened on Sand Piper street at 10:00 in the morning.

Let's face it, no one in government will ever have the balls to say you can't have a car or truck on the island unless you can show a valid need.

Another part of the problem is that it's often cheaper to buy a car or truck than it is to buy a decent golf cart. Maybe the government needs to drop the duties on golf carts to make them more attractive not only here but in Belize City and other areas of the country.

You can also add the rumour that 30 new taxi permits have been issued, that should solve our traffic problems.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 02:05 PM
I have ordered a hummer (small one)
Posted By: bywarren Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 02:27 PM
It's the same old problem. It is not the vehicles that are the root of the problem. It is the persons responsible for driving them. I am referring to accidents and not excess traffic problem, another issue.
I am a firm believer that fear of punishment causes changes in personal behavior. When I was young spankings, and as I grew older the fear of losing my driving privilege, caused me to modify my behavior.
Now I know that the opponents of capital punishment will argue that it does not prevent crime. Based on the merits of that argument, I will not suggest capital punishment for traffic violations in San Pedro. Nor will I suggest spankings. As once again, the opponents of capital punishment would offer the argument that if a good looking police woman were to spank Pedro for not wearing his seat belt, it would probably not change his not wearing his seat belt - just the opposite.
But I do believe, that the enforcement of traffic laws thru fines and the loss of driving privileges would greatly improve the safety on the island.
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 03:30 PM
Non insured - loss of license for one year and possible 6 months in jail, if stopped by Police. If stopped by Traffic - $125 fine.
Posted By: SimonB Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 06:11 PM
"It is not the vehicles that are the root of the problem."

I disagree on that point, even a few short years ago when there were fewer vehicles people drove with more courtesy and care. The more vehicles we get, the worse and more agressive the drivers seem to get.

You're totally right on enforcement. Has anyone actually seen the phantom radar gun that the police department is supposed to have?
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 06:31 PM
I've been "brushed" by the taxis more than once.(you would think i would have learned to get the hell out of the way the first time), They just don't seem to care about the people or carts. The police should become a little more proactive with all the speeding / wreckless drivers on the caye before more people get injured or killed.
Posted By: collyk Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 06:36 PM
I think spankings would be a delightful idea. Public spankings in central park for speeders and drunk drivers. I'd go.
Posted By: reaper Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 06:55 PM
Last week we almost got hit by three vehicles while driving our golf cart...a taxi, the Police pick-up truck and the fire truck. Really!
Posted By: desertrat Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 07:00 PM
I'm with ya Simon. When I first visited SP there were few cars/vans/trucks. I got around by golf cart, bike, or walked, w/an occasional cab ride -& still do - but now, dodging traffic. I think that was so much of the charm, etc., of going there - it was nothing like home. The roads aren't wide enough for larger vehicles & that's where I've seen many close calls. One driver racing around another driver. And the driver doesn't even have to be going any slower, the other just wants to go faster.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 07:02 PM
Reaper, Did you happen to be running from the police, on fire, all the while looking like you needed a taxi? confused
Posted By: bywarren Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 07:06 PM
Simon, as long as they keep building more and more condos, houses and resorts and developing every inch of land on the island, there is going to be a need for more vehicles. You can't have it both ways. Development, or what some refer to as progess, brings with it those needs and challenges.
The only answer is to have those people driving drive responsibly and safely.
You will not be able to limit the number of vehicles and still have development. But you sure can not only limit, but eliminate from driving those that do not drive responsilby and safely.
Posted By: seashell Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 08:12 PM
Bywarren said "if a good looking police woman were to spank Pedro for not wearing his seat belt, it would probably not change his not wearing his seat belt - just the opposite."

In fact, it would probably give him a small hummer.
Posted By: SimonB Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 08:34 PM
Car, vans and taxi's are the majority of the problem not golf carts so you can have it both ways. The goal should be to find a solution that provides for development and keeps in mind the safety of residents and visitors and the "feel" of the island.

Europe is a great example of how goods can be moved around in small vehicles (the Madisco and Caribbean Queen delivery vans are perfect for this island). Bermuda does very nicely with huge restrictions on cars and a strictly enforced 35kmph speed limit.

"You will not be able to limit the number of vehicles and still have development." You can, there is something called public transit (bike paths and real roads would help as well) but that'll never happen by the looks of it.
Posted By: LaraTravelBelize Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 09:01 PM
coming from Philadelphia, a rather large city, with rather old streets, i can assure you that i would be thrilled to limit the cars on the island. please bare in mind, i am living 3 miles south of san pedro, so getting to town is an ordeal (an ordeal i volunteered for knowing full well that it was a 14 minute bike ride), and i am used to having THREE vehicles for my personal use here in the states.

when i am walking down the streets of sp, and i hear the music BLASTING from the cars, it makes me sick. i hate that in the US, and i most definately hate it in Belize. it is TERRIBLE for tourism, as it smacks of inner city.

and while i am sure that i will get slammed for this, right or wrong, Belize needs tourism. If the streets of san pedro become just like those of any other poor city, i firmly believe that tourism will suffer.

a few taxis are great, work vehicles make sense, but the average belizean does not need a vehicle. period. golf cars MORE than suffice.

on the flip side, it is the only time in my life i have been so appreciative of high gas prices, and duty taxes on parts. hopefully, simple economics will limit the vehicles.
Posted By: bywarren Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 09:02 PM
You can debate all you want about the number of vehicles, the size of vehicles and whether they are public or private owned, but until you ensure that those driving the vehicles drive responsibly and safely you will not be addressing the real problem and finding the solution.
I see little if anything being done on AC to do that. I do not consider building more speed bumps to be the solution.
Simon is absolutly correct about Bermuda. I used to visit there anually on business and you would never, and I do mean never, see a taxi driver speeding. I don't think that had anything to do with the number of taxis as opposed to the punishment for breaking that law.
Posted By: LaraTravelBelize Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 09:09 PM
fair point.

i guess i see a two pronged solution:

Limit the number of vehicles
Make sure those vehicles are safely, properly, efficiently, and ENVIRONMENTALLY safe in order to operate.
Posted By: bywarren Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 10:02 PM
Not to be argumentative, but what does your two prong solution do to prevent a careless driver from injuring someone?

This topic started about a traffic accident due to a careless driver. I realize there are other issues facing the community like the traffic problem. But, I sure wish the community could get together and solve this issue by demanding the Town Board and police enforce traffic laws and punish those who break them. I see nothing being done about that. I think on the scale of priorities, the safety of the public should be addressed before we get our panties all tied up in knots about boom boxes and our neighbor getting a permit to own something other than a golf cart.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 10:06 PM
Must still be raining in Paradise.
Posted By: LaraTravelBelize Re: cars on the island?? - 06/10/06 10:24 PM
again,

"Make sure those vehicles are safely, properly..."

in order to make sure, one would have to assume some sort of training and repercussions.

my panties are apparently in the same knot as yours. just worded differently.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board