AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: DJ Dale Input needed on Hotel Del Rio - 03/07/07 04:39 PM
Hi.
I will be travelling to Belize for the first time and am about to reserve at Hotel Del Rio. The price is nice and the location seems to be good. Getting the Cabana Grande. No AC though. Will this be a problem in May? We are used to the heat as we are from Atlanta but dont want it to be unbearable.

Any input on this hotel is appreciated as it is difficult to find any reviews on the hotel. Location to restaurants, bars & diving? Safety issues(no safes in room)? ATMS?

Thanks!
Dale
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Input needed on Hotel Del Rio - 03/07/07 06:06 PM
Hotel Del Rio is a nice experience. Not very fancy a bit weathered, but in a cool, very local neighbourhood. Don't leave valuables in your room, lock them up in the office, even if for the day. All the bars and dive shops are a short walk away. Great bakery around the corner. I would suggest Chuck and Robbie's Dive Shop about two blocks away. You will need a fan, it won't be too hot at night, but could get warm in the day (which you shouldn't be in your room during the day). May is great, you'll love it!!!

SIN
Posted By: DJ Dale Re: Input needed on Hotel Del Rio - 03/07/07 06:21 PM
Thanks for the input!

My concern is with my money. Since there is no safe should I rely on ATMS? Do you know how far away one is and the charges incurred? OR should I use travellers checks...but then I need to find a bank to cash them as needed. How far is a bank if you suggest this route.

We pretty much leave all valuables at home when travelling. About all we'll have is a digital camera and some dive equipment.

THANKS!
Dale
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Input needed on Hotel Del Rio - 03/07/07 06:23 PM
Cashier's checks are accepted at most establishments. ATMs usually work (keyword being usually). Credit Cards of course are another safe alternative. The bank is a fifteen minute walk away. Cash is the most convenient and the most risky. If usuing cash, change into Belize and keep it on you. It is relatively safe, but you never can be too safe.

SIN
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Input needed on Hotel Del Rio - 03/07/07 06:28 PM
sorry, traveler checks rahter than cashier's checks.
Posted By: GBZ39 Re: Input needed on Hotel Del Rio - 03/08/07 12:25 AM
Bring as much cash as you can.

Get a Bank 1 credit card. They don't charge all the fees to convert the foreign currency to US$ as the others do....about 2+ percent.

Say hello to Butch at The Tides' bar.
Posted By: klcman Re: Input needed on Hotel Del Rio - 03/08/07 01:40 AM
Most Capital One cards do not charge, either.
Posted By: DANZA Re: Input needed on Hotel Del Rio - 03/08/07 04:45 PM
To avoid any problems call your credit card company and have them put an override on your card for the length of time you are in Belize. This will avoid a fraud alert popping up as an unusual purchase. Especially if you plan on using it a lot.
Posted By: DJ Dale Re: Input needed on Hotel Del Rio - 03/08/07 05:05 PM
Thanks!
I travel international quite a bit. They are used to it but I always call to avoid potential problems. I always carry photocopies of front and back encase of loss/theft. That habit helped me greatly in Bogota when I lost my wallet.

Looking forward to my first trip to Belize!!!!!
Posted By: DB Re: Input needed on Hotel Del Rio - 03/08/07 08:50 PM
Belize Bank (Front Street north end of town)has the only ATM's where a US Debit/ATM card works reliably. Richie's Supermarket on Middle Street has a Belize Bank ATM inside also. SIN's right, cash is the way to go if you can keep it on you.

DB
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board