AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Awalt Captain Morgan's Retreat - 04/05/07 04:16 AM
Can anyone tell me about Captain Morgan' Retreat? Is it nice? My wife and I are coming down for a week for her to recuperate from an illness. Thanks
Posted By: DANZA Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 04/05/07 04:40 AM
We didn't stay there but took the tour about a week ago and it was nice. The couple we went with ended up buying a time share. So hopefully we will be going back. You'll enjoy it.
Posted By: Awalt Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 04/05/07 01:44 PM
What restaurants did you enjoy the most?
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 04/05/07 03:33 PM
Awalt -- would like to hear from folks who've stayed at CMs. I stayed at Belizean Shores just North of there and heard a lot of complaints. That was 2 years ago and I know they have made improvements. Sounded like there was a big difference in accommodations -- AC vs. non-AC / hut vs. cabana. The setting is awesome and restaurant on-site is decent.

You are already North so definitely check out Capricorn (walking distance from CMs) and Rojo. Yummmmm.
Posted By: 6string Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 04/05/07 03:40 PM
We also did the tour, and the timeshare presentation. The place is very nice, definitely high end and very comfortable. What we didn't like is the fact that there is no one there, and lack of anything going on. If you like seclusion and just want to lay on the beach/beside the pool and read a book, or watch TV or sleep... yep, you'll love it. If you want some nite life, some local interaction and walking around with some great town (and beach of course) action.... you won't like it... probably. Just my opinion, but we really liked being in SP and relied on walking the beach for everything we did.
Posted By: BeachBride07 Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 04/05/07 03:49 PM
Note: The 'timeshare' half of the resort is closed to regular renting customers. The 'timeshare' units are way way nicer than the regular units. We just toured this resort for our wedding- I have pics I can get to you in a few days of the interior of a rental unit. The grounds were nice- the pool/restaurant were very busy on the 'rent' side and almost empty on the 'timeshare' side. It's very rustic - with the thatched roofs and everything. Send me a PM and I'll reply with some pics when I get them uploaded.
Posted By: ghbyram Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 04/18/07 01:20 AM
My wife and I have stayed there twice and actually bought a timeshare on the last trip in October. 6String's comments are spot on.

I will add that CMR as an owner is a very different experience from CMR as a resort guest. Frankly, I would not go back as a resort guest ... we'll see how the next trip as an owner goes (next month).

There are some good recent threads on this board on restaurants -- all of which are in town. If you want to get to them -- beware that water taxi fares add a lot of cost to meals in town from CMR (no free rides to town for resort guests).
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 04/18/07 05:39 PM
Timeshares are nice?
Posted By: GBZ39 Re: Captain Morgan's Retreat - 04/18/07 09:26 PM
Timeshare CAN BE nice.......
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board