AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: collyk Question for boaty people. - 05/03/07 02:55 PM
Does anyone know much about getting a boat captain's license?
Is there a minimum engine size below which one is not required?
Thanks in advance for your wisdom and help.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Question for boaty people. - 05/03/07 03:02 PM
You'll need to call the Port Authority and find out what dates they plan to come to San Pedro for testing. You'll also need a copy of the maritime rules and regulations (that they provide) to study for your written test. Once you have completed your written test you are then required to do an on the water test (you need to provide the boat.) Once you've passed that you will be given your Boat Master's License.

The following are the classes of license

A - <34'
B - 35-44'
C - 45-65'
D - >65'
E - Catamaran

Classes A-D have 3 categories

1 - Private
2 - Commercial Passenger
3 - Commercial Cargo
Posted By: collyk Re: Question for boaty people. - 05/03/07 03:14 PM
Simon, thank you so much. Do you know if something like a little tub with a 5HP engine would require a licesned captain?
Posted By: SimonB Re: Question for boaty people. - 05/03/07 03:19 PM
In theory yes and the boat would also have to be licensed and meet all safety regulations.

The captain's license states that it must be carried at all times while underway. I left mine at home once while moving the boat from one dock to another. They let me go home to get the license and the proceeded to provide me with a $1000 fine anyway. I just stuck out my wrists and told them to take me off to jail right now as there was no way I was going to pay it. It took them a second to realize I was serious and they let me off.
Posted By: collyk Re: Question for boaty people. - 05/03/07 03:30 PM
Thank you very much Simon.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Question for boaty people. - 05/04/07 10:40 PM
Captain Collyk, It has a nice ring to it grin
Posted By: elbert Re: Question for boaty people. - 05/05/07 09:55 PM
Collyk, Captain
I got my masters license and the test was surprisingly easy.
pull away from the dock now pull up to the dock ,then he checked something off on his clip board, wanted to see my anchor and had me turn on my lights it all took about 5 min. total. The written exam was the same, True/ false.. Is it OK to operate a boat while under the influence. which side is the green light on and which is the port side? not hard.
the boat paper needs to be in the boat all the time and the cap.lic. in also. In recent years the port authority has been putting up a sort of road block near the fuel dock and checking for the proper stickers and lic. the worst part is going to Bz city to get it all.I would chance the wait until they come to San Pedro.
Posted By: collyk Re: Question for boaty people. - 05/06/07 02:09 PM
2 Miles. You're right. It does have a nice ring to it.

Elbert. Many thanks for that advice. Gives us more confidence. I think we will be giving the Port Authority a ring this week to find out about the licensing thing. Hey, if I managed to pass the Belize driving test, I can pass anything.

Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Question for boaty people. - 05/06/07 03:16 PM
Captain Collyk, Get the licence, Then you can be a "Boaty" person too!
Posted By: elbert Re: Question for boaty people. - 05/07/07 03:35 PM
Don't forget about the The Darwinian Imperative , look around and notice 90% or more of the boats have local captains. Don't make yourself a candidate for the Darwin Award, be careful lots of hazards that will take you out of the gene pool.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Question for boaty people. - 05/07/07 05:29 PM
Don't forget that many of those "local" boat captains aren't from the island and are from the mainland and it seems like some of them hadn't driven a boat before they arrived here.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board