AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: ScubaLdy Other charities - fund raiser questions - 05/21/07 10:50 PM
My mother and father were terrible bigots - each of them having separate groups to hate. This so disgusted me that I became more compassionate and accepting of diverse cultures and ethnic origins. Needless to say I feel at home in Belize.
The ugliness that has been bandied about regarding one school, one group of fund raisers, etc. has had about the same effect on a lot of people here on AC. The finger pointing and name calling makes me wonder what the underlying anger is about. Why are these "good citizens" not asking for the same accountability from other charities?
Are there any schools in Belize that are not run by a religious order?
Is there any accountability for all the "drawings" that kids seem to be constantly collecting for?
Does anyone ever win one of these drawings?
Are any of the government agencies ever audited? Are their books open to the public? Are their meetings open to the public? Are they held accountable?
Again I ask - why this entire furor over one school that is providing an education for children who never have been given an opportunity?
Can someone tell me what it costs each child to attend each of the various schools? I've heard various figures.
I also heard that some people were outraged that children of 'non-Belizeans' were allowed to attend Holy Cross.
There's more here than meets the eye.
JEEZ! As if we need ANOTHER thread about this topic!!!

People b*tch about swamp/diseases etc. so other people do what they can to make things better then those people get b*tched at... it's a vicious circle and now yet another person is b*tching that the good people need to drop what they're doing to help some other people. Let them fill the sand, would ya???
Oh quit your b*tchin TQ, (JK) wink
Posted By: bywarren Re: Other charities - fund raiser questions - 05/22/07 01:29 AM
Seems to me that we might need alot more discussion on this. There have been some serious allegations made as to the motif for the fund raising. I for one, who contributes to many causes here, would like to know if donating to this cause is to lessen the personal financial obligation of someone who made a comitmant based on expected personal gain as has been alledged.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Other charities - fund raiser questions - 05/22/07 02:56 AM
I have not seen any people(in print) accused of operating for personal gain but no-one answered our original letter of where the 110.000 bzd dollars that was missing from the HC account or indeed the 55.000bzd that was left in the account-maybe someone will from HC will eventually answe this question.
Geez-- us-- Christ........
People, take a breath... breath deep..
Now, lets think about WHAT is most imortant here.
The CHILDREN. I know we want to know where our donated dollars are going.. Good point, we all have the right to know. But at the same time, if you had one inkling of a problem, then why donate? What I'm trying to say, is, the money is going to where is should, the children and the school..
We all have the right to know, but still I truly belive that is going to where it should be going... the school and kids.
We've all been lucky to have free education.. shouldn't they at least have SOME sort of an edcucation?
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Other charities - fund raiser questions - 05/22/07 03:37 AM
Of course, everyone agrees that it is great that the money goes to educate the kids. All the money needs to go to the kids. And if there is a rational reason that it does not, then why not just let the donors know. I am a donor. I have had events at my bar to raise money for this school. I want to make sure that the charity I give to uses all the reasonable funds to educate the students in an effective and healthy way. And everyone should feel comfortable that it is so.There are very real questions that should be answered. The fact that this has turned into some weird match of words is not the usual way that charities act. Therefore you have to ask, what the **** is going on here.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Other charities - fund raiser questions - 05/22/07 03:51 AM
I'm afraid the longer this goes on with no substantial factual answers the more uncomfortable people have a right to get. What we need is succinct supported FACTS, not verbose assurances.
2miles, you crack me up! I owe YOU a drink!!

P1/P2 et al, seems to me like you need to visit the Anglican Diocese to view the financials. This is just more about that letter that never proved to be anything more that just opinions on paper.

It's really sad that donations precentage is down... sad indeed. frown
Big whoop Peter. If there were no events, your place would be empty 7 days a week other than the guests upstairs. Just how much do you figure "you" donated? I do know your drink sales may have improved and pizza sales went up. Of course this is all based on the same speculative assumption techniques you used on the school's financial's. I agree with TQ. If you're really concerned why not go see the diocese? <yawn> What a ridiculous waste of time.
Posted By: JZB Re: Other charities - fund raiser questions - 05/22/07 04:32 PM
TrueLover, don't you think that was a bit uncalled for and off topic?
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Other charities - fund raiser questions - 05/22/07 04:40 PM
I, with Pam,was given the accounts by Francis-so there is no speculation we are dealing with facts that were given to us by Holy Cross,and are just asking where or what happened to the money that they reported as having received
JBZ. No, not really. If Peter claims to be a person trying to help I'd like to know how this is so? Especially since his actions publishing a letter never intended as a press release started the whole mess. This seems clear to me and we are all left cleaning up his mess. So if it's about accountability then I am surely "on topic". The issues can and should be dealt with in an appropriate format. This is some kind of Vendetta. Nothing to do with the educational opportunities for the children.
Posted By: mary72 Re: Other charities - fund raiser questions - 05/22/07 04:58 PM
Any one in my opinion who donates has a right to ask where has the money gone to ensure that the children are getting what they need. For some reason some people on this board go on personally attacting others. TL please get off Pedro1 ass. If you don't like his food or his place don't go there. I for one think that Pedro had every right to ask the question. Secondly I visit SP several times a year and enjoy his pizza and jager I have seen quiet nights but most of the time my group of friends have a great time. Part of me thinks that if anyone else in your community would have asked the original question responses would have been very diffrent.
I highly doubt anyone else would have used his thoughtless technique. He's a grown man and is responsible for his actions. Nobody is questioning the reasoning of "open books" on the funds. The whole community has been dealing with "his" actions. Sadly. You may lack knowledge of some of the background Mary.
I have to say, at first i was intent on reading this thread. i was excited to send things tothe school(and probably still will). But the more this thread goes on the nastier this becomes.

If you want to know where the $ went, go to the school or the Diocese and ask to see the accounting......

let this get back to the original meaning........... THE KIDS. They are what this is all about in the bottom end. This thread makes me wonder WHO are the adults and WHO are the KIDs in the end run!
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Other charities - fund raiser questions - 05/22/07 06:39 PM
It is important for everyone to understand that the Anglican Diocese is the correct channel to go through for any financial information on the school.

The Holy Cross school belongs to the Diocese, and they handle the accounting for the school.

They are willing to schedule a meeting with anyone who would like more information.

Francis is the volunteer coordinator not the accountant.

Amen OES and thank you Tacogirl.
I just got this fwd from a friend and thought it was appropriate... he he!

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy/specials/life/life.htm

Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Other charities - fund raiser questions - 05/23/07 01:49 AM
TQ - thank you - we need a dose like that every day!
Thank-you , thank-you, thank you OES ,TC,&TQ for your good sense and caring!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board