AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: World Traveller First time visitor to Ambergris - 06/07/07 11:44 PM
Hi everyone,

This is a great forum full of helpful hints. I'm having a great time planning my vacation to Ambergris in July.

I am mostly going for some scuba / snorkeling and relaxation. However I am a 34 year old guy traveling solo so it would be nice to meet and mingle with some other travelers like me (non-honeymooners who may be looking for activity partners, sharing travel stories, ...).

Where on the island should I stay? I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest place.

Thanks!

Posted By: bywarren Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 06/08/07 12:23 AM
Try Pedro's. It is not the cheapest, but it probably should be. And, if you meet any honeymooners there, they won't be honeymooning for long. You have a good chance of finding partners for activities, although you might not be into the activities they are. Finally, you surely will find others to share stories with. Just don't believe all the stories you hear. wink
Posted By: Ernie B Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 06/08/07 12:57 AM
Ya havent lost it, By grin
Posted By: BrusselSprout Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 06/08/07 02:36 AM
Probably want to try to the Sunbreeze...in town, close to most of the bars, lots of people at the pool. Or Changes In Latitudes is great. Smaller, homier (is that a word?), very very friendly owners who can always point you in the right direction whether it's for diving or going out. San Pedro is an easy place to travel on your own...I've done it a bunch of times. In fact, just moved here on my own. You'll love it.
Posted By: Norbear Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 06/09/07 11:23 PM
Sunbreeze is a nice place to stay and very close to the airport. But if you want to dive I would find a dive operation other that the one at the Hotel as the last time I was there the boat almost sank.
Posted By: indygal Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 06/10/07 01:38 AM
Wet Willy's Bar is a nice place to meet folks in the evening, good music. Coconet's internet bar on front street during the day always has folks visiting, before, after and during checking email and such.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 06/10/07 02:58 PM
To stay, you'll find people to talk to on common interests at Pedro's and Ruby's, both backpacker-style places in a way. To hang out, all the places mentioned so far, plus BC's bar (on the beach just south of Sunbreeze Hotel) and Cannibals (on the beach by the water taxi terminal).
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 06/10/07 06:21 PM
You will love traveling alone. I have done it for years. I'm a single 'older' woman and found that when you are traveling with someone they get most of your attention; alone you get connected. Simply by asking questions you strike up a conversation. When going into an eating establishment look for someone sitting alone at a table and ask if you can share their table with them.
I have always felt safe walking alone in San Pedro. How you act dictates what you attract. In my 9 years of Belize experience I have only been approached one by a drug dealer. Some of my men friends who come to visit get approached a lot.
Steve, at Coconet Internet, can tell you where the action is each night of the week - it does change night by night. One of the fun parts of his place is that many gringos who live on the island stop in here for coffee, beer or a backgammon game.

For diving Amigos Del Mar is the biggest operation and you will likely be able to buddy up with another single diver through them. HOWEVER, my favorite dive operation is Belize Diving Adventure - owned and operated by a Belize couple - Everette Anderson and his wife Inez. Use them if you want truly personal attention.

When in July are you coming? I will be back July 9th, hopefully with a repaired underwater video camera. Maybe we can hook up.

Harriette
Posted By: World Traveller Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 06/18/07 06:17 PM
Thanks for all the advice! I'm still not sure where to stay but Sunbreeze seems like a good central choice...
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 06/18/07 09:30 PM
The Tides baby! A true dive hotel on the beach!
Posted By: World Traveller Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 06/18/07 10:57 PM
Sir Isaac,

Thanks for the suggestion. The Tides looks nice and secluded and diver friendly but I'm traveling solo so it would be nice to be around more activity and somewhere closer to places where more solo or single travelers will be hanging out.

Can't wait to get to the Island next month :-)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 06/18/07 11:01 PM
Another place you'll find fellow travellers is Ruby's, on the beach. Cheap too, though that goes without saying.
Posted By: seaexplore Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 06/19/07 01:32 AM
I would second Changes in Latitudes- Cindy and Renita are GREAT- super nice gals, comfy beds, private baths, and their food is fab (daily breakfast provided by them!). You have access to the pool at the Yacht Club AND there's Wi-Fi there! It's super close to town but not IN town (they have bikes you can use too!). We walked up the beach LOTS of days to hook up with my sis who stayed at Ruby's (kinda like a dorm house) and eat. The girls will introduce you to everyone else staying there (6 rooms) and direct you to WHATEVER you want to do- they'll arrange reservations for dinner, snorkle trips, scuba, main land tours, just ask- they can get it for you. If you're there tell them that Tiffany & Greg say hi!
Posted By: World Traveller Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 07/06/07 07:37 PM
Booked my tickets! I'm stoked :-)

I take it I can just wait to buy the Maya Air ticket when I get to Velize City?
Posted By: travelqueen Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 07/06/07 07:40 PM
You can wait to buy your tix when you get there but most people on this board advise buying ahead of time - I've done it everytime I've been to BELIZE.

What time does your plane get into BELIZE?
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 07/06/07 08:05 PM

The Tides is in town bro. My buddy instructs there (and they have a pool)
Posted By: Otteralum Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 07/06/07 08:42 PM
buy ahead of time with Maya and Tropic -- you don't want to get bumped to the next flight when you're anxious to get to paradise!
Posted By: Ruth1 Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 07/06/07 09:57 PM
When we bought our tickets...they said if we got through custom quick and picked up our luggage and got over Maya Air quickly. They would put us on the flight before our booked flight...if there was extra sits available.
Posted By: World Traveller Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 07/06/07 10:00 PM
Cool! thanks for the advice. Maya and Tropic are the two airlines? I assume they're both pretty much the same?

travelqueen: my flight gets in around 3pm. I'm hoping that gives me enough time to catch a flight.
Posted By: J DOG Re: First time visitor to Ambergris - 07/09/07 09:12 PM
I stay at Lili's Hotel when traveling alone, Cholos Sport bar right next door & Amigos right in front of it, great location close to center of town.
The Tides probaly has the best dive/hotel package, they have a great breakfast incl. nice pool & bar.
Plenty of time to catch your flite, you should be in S.P. 4-4:30 easily
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board