AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: bec GOLF? - 07/20/07 10:58 PM
We are ging to AC in February and my brother and husband always play golf where ever we travel. I'm hoping that there is not real golf courses in AC.....anyone know?

Also I was thinking of bringing a suite case down loaded with snacks, juice packs, mac n cheese etc..... Is this allowed? We did this when we went to the Bahammas, but not sure about Belieze. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: elbert Re: GOLF? - 07/20/07 11:11 PM
The next island up the reef is a Golf course , the entire island is dedicated to being a golf course with its own marina and air strip.Golfers fly over quick and cheap, flights every hour.
But I hear you saying this is bad news.

snacks?... we got a lot of that stuff here already
Posted By: Ruth1 Re: GOLF? - 07/20/07 11:13 PM
We are bringing....cereal, oatmeal, nuts, trail mix, peanut butter, crackers, mayonnaise, mustard, relish, guacamole mix, onion dip mix, peanut butter cracker for boat dives. also dog bones for Elbert's dog Bubba, and lots of stuff....we always do this when we go off to the Caribbean because of the high cost in things.
So ...Yes, we are take quiet a bit of stuff...
Talk to ya later...
All the Best
Ruth
Posted By: Ruth1 Re: GOLF? - 07/20/07 11:22 PM
Hello Bec,
If I remember correctly....you are staying at Costa Maya Reef Resort....and y'all are not divers...
Snack in the room would be nice....so you can have a drink or two as the sun sets...and you are on the balcony...
That's what we will be doing...
All the Best,
Ruth
Posted By: kris48 Re: GOLF? - 07/21/07 12:08 AM
The local cheese (white cheddar I think) available from Simon is very nice, and the local fruits are also great. Some of the stuff you mention is not all that much more here.
Posted By: reaper Re: GOLF? - 07/21/07 12:15 AM
Golf on Caye Chapel is a tremendous experience.

Let the boys go over for a day, the hotel can set it up.

Posted By: bywarren Re: GOLF? - 07/21/07 12:46 AM
Second largest barrier reef in the world, Mayan ruins, tropical rain forest and great local food, and you are going to bring golf clubs and snacks from home. sick
Posted By: elbert Re: GOLF? - 07/21/07 02:59 PM
Warren, Not a golfer. I use golf as an excuse to be outdoors and walk around in nature, but you right, that was when I lived in a city and had a desk job. yeah.. your right ..Golf when your next to the reef and rainforest is odd.To much exciting going on for that kinda idleness.
Posted By: bec Re: GOLF? - 07/21/07 06:04 PM
Thanks for your replies.....as I stated, I'm not a fan of the golf thing. Id rather be swimming, sunning and just enjoying the warm sunny weather!
Posted By: beachboy Re: GOLF? - 07/21/07 06:22 PM
Ruth,

We grow peanuts and juices. This the area where guacamole does not get any better. High fibre cereals are a good idea and the cookie lady makes wonderful dog biscuits.

Remember we are the cheapest Island in the Caribbean but the most expensive country in Central America.

Some Emmentael and Gruyere woulod be nice
Posted By: Ruth1 Re: GOLF? - 07/21/07 08:03 PM
In the US you can buy a can of cashews for about $3.00 on Ambergris Caye(with the print out Simon sent me a list of groceries with prices in US dollars) stated a 10oz can of cashews was $12.47, paper towels were $4.50 etc.
Price in store are higher on Ambergris Caye...but there are no dollar stores on the island as in the US. I did except it to be higher. But that is my I chose to bring higher cost items down. But my grocery list with Simon is already up to $307.56 plus the $55.00 delivery fee. So I am spending money at the grocery stores. And we also plan to eat out each evening and dive each day. So we will be spending money on your island! We do plan to eat dinner out each evening....beachboy are you a chef at a local restaurant on the island? Maybe we could eat with you one evening!
All the Best,
Ruth
Posted By: DB Re: GOLF? - 07/22/07 09:02 AM
For a week or so stay, AC has plenty to offer locally.

I like to cook, so I like to shop for what I cook. I never ran out of variety, quality and value supplies on AC. Especially the street vendors, fishermen, local markets offer very good, fresh items if you like to cook/shop.

If you don't want to shop, Simon can certainly take the hassle out of sourcing for the stuff you need as well. A service everyone who uses him swears by.

You can save alot by eating like locals too at the middle, back and side street places. Check recent message on this site for some good ideas on this topic too.

Bottom line is you will enjoy yourself regardless. The QPR for AC is way up there when it comes to food, entertainment and overall vacation experience.

Have Fun!
Posted By: genedoc Re: GOLF? - 07/26/07 02:25 AM
Bec-
we are going to AC in February too (jan 28-feb6). I think its a great idea to bring snacks, especially if you have a husband that likes to snack a lot, like my soon-to-be husband. But there are some things I can't live without, like my French cheeses and wine, so it will be necessary to buy those on the island.
Posted By: bec Re: GOLF? - 07/26/07 09:42 PM
My husband is also into the wine and cheese, I prefer beer!
I will have my 2 children with me, so I thought it would be cheeper to bring the things they like. I usually don't care, but I spent a small fortune on non-stop flights to Belieze!
February in New York is not pretty, and I did'nt want to take any chances of delays.

Ruth1: Hope you have a great time, can't wait for all your stories!
Posted By: Ruth1 Re: GOLF? - 07/26/07 10:15 PM
Hey Bec,
I will give you a report when we get back on this thread....
I ordered my BEER today...bec I though of you when I ordered it along with sandwich meat, milk etc...the whole nine yards...
My husband is a RUM drinker...so he is picking up the RUM in Belize City Airport...I ordered my food from Simon. He is delivering our food to Costa Maya - my BEER will be cold when we get there....

Bec take care...we leave Friday, Aug 3rd...Talk to ya soon
All the Best,
Ruth
Posted By: kris48 Re: GOLF? - 07/26/07 10:36 PM
For young kids it is best to bring the snacks they like from home--you may not find exactly the same thing in San Pedro. Otherwise, you can find most of what you might like on the island, or at least a reasonable substitute.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board