AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: roxane tres cocos - 08/12/07 12:01 AM
What can you tell me about the tres cocos area?
Posted By: Big Mike Re: tres cocos - 08/12/07 12:58 PM
THE most beautiful part of the island, bit of a crime problem lately.
Posted By: natalie p Re: tres cocos - 08/12/07 01:37 PM
Very little crime actually. We had 1 week in june that was bad, and because we have an active neighbourhood watch it gets reported, so people hear more about it than crime in other areas.The culprit was identified but when police went to catch him at his residence in San Pedrito he jumped into the lagoon and eluded capture. Some of the stolen items were recovered.
No crime problem for a long time before nor since----certainly no where near as much as the rest of the caye.
Posted By: natalie p Re: tres cocos - 08/12/07 01:55 PM
I should also mention that the crimes occured during the Central American summit meeting at Banyan Bay when the police were stretched way beyond their capabilities and it was also the fiesta of San Pedro Day.On top of that there was hardly any one in Tres Cocos. All were at the party or in the USA for the summer,so there was no one to assist to prevent these crimes.
Posted By: lil'red Re: tres cocos - 08/12/07 05:09 PM
Criminals ran amok all over the island for that few weeks, not just in Tres Cocos. I can name at least 10 people in the south who were victims of break-ins and theft, including my restaurant. Not all of the culprits were caught, but the magistrate seems to have had enough of the B/S and is really hitting them hard. The guy who entered my restaurant got 5 years.

To your question. Tres Cocos is a beautiful part of the island, with neighbors who keep an eye on each other, and builders who have constructed to compliment the environment. It is kept clean, and the road up to the Palapa bar is lined with flowers and trees, and is really very pretty. I don't think anyone could err in either buying or renting over the split, it is a really nice area to be.
Posted By: Big Mike Re: tres cocos - 08/12/07 05:21 PM
"very little crime".....yeah, only about 30 break-ins over a few month period, several boat thefts along with at least 2 home invasions that I know of. Again, it IS the most beautiful part of the island, I'm proud to own property there, but we have had a bad year for crime.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: tres cocos - 08/12/07 07:28 PM
Roxane: What do you want to know? What place are you considering?

Hey Mike:
Are you here now? Thirty break-ins? Where did you get that information? The police don't have that. The North Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Watch meets once a month (last Saturday's) at the Palapa Bar and the police usually attend. We get very complete reports on crime. Are you a member of our group? Do you get the minutes of our meetings? If not would you like to?
The police make irregular patrols for a good ways up. The best protection is a care taker with a dog that barks. I have both and NOBODY comes in my yard!
Of course we would like ZERO crime and we do watch out for each other. Heck, my neighbor across the road from my place in El Tosero called to tell to tell me my pump was running a lot. How's that for taking care of each other?
BTW - El Tosero is a small section just north of Tres Cocos. Tres Cocos is generally referred to as the area from the north end of the bridge to the Palapa Bar, and it is very beautiful. Except for the section of Tres Cocos that used to be called Bob's Flats, and now is Reef Village and other condos, this area is mostly homes set into beautifully landscaped lots with lots of privacy.
Posted By: Big Mike Re: tres cocos - 08/12/07 08:23 PM
Harriette, I agree that the nacnw is top-notch, I'm a member, though I haven't been able to make many meetings. Like I said, to me, Tres Cocos is the most beautiful part of the island. I look forward to building a home on my land there, for now I'm on the other end of town. All I'm saying is that we've had a bad year for crime, lots of break-ins and freakin' home invasions included. I've had more than a few friends wake up to find boat robbed of engines, parts, or the whole boat gone too! Look through the last 6 months of nacnw posts, I stand by my figures. Here's to hoping that they caught all the bad guys and all of this comes to a halt.
Posted By: natalie p Re: tres cocos - 08/12/07 09:23 PM
Here's the list of crime reports given to and put out from NAC NW
for the period of aug 11th,2006 up to today;
from aug 11,2006- to feb 12 2007 there were 8 break-ins reported north of the cut, which includes up to Kitty's place,and we all had a good idea who was involved. Things got much quieter when this person left Tres Cocos in February,and there were no further break ins until the last week of june this year, when there were 4 break-ins that one week, one home entered twice.No break ins have been reported since.
There was 1 stolen boat and it was recovered minus the engine in jan 2007.
There was a report of boat parts being stolen early this year near Kitty's place. These are the facts as far as I could find in our records.
Natalie, president NAC NW
Posted By: Big Mike Re: tres cocos - 08/12/07 09:48 PM
I'm surpised you forgot to mention this scary one from last August, you wrote the alert.

<<<Reports are coming in of a break in at Tres Cocos at about 4 am this thursday am , where 4 men tied up the Gilmore's with duct tape and attempted to rob them but no valuables were found by them. They may have had a gun, but this is not confirmed.A description of the men is not available as this all took place in the dark. Police are investigating.
Please, everyone , report immediately to your neighbours and police if you see suspicious persons in your area.
Natalie>>>

And how many "attempted break-ins" and alerts of "prowlers" were sent out last year?

To Roxanne, the original post-er....Tres Cocos is beautiful, buy there, please. Just be sure to keep everything secure, like you should anywhere on the island.
Posted By: elbert Re: tres cocos - 08/12/07 09:53 PM
There is no more Kitty or Kitty's place it was torn down a year ago and is a vacant lot, and we have no Neighborhood watch in the area to my knowledge. Neither have we had any trouble worth reporting about. Who professes to be a card carrying member of the NACNW in the Mexico Rocks Area? I would question the validity of any reports of the area from the Tres Cocos Gossip Group (TCGG).
Posted By: natalie p Re: tres cocos - 08/12/07 10:54 PM
C'mon guys, there's no need for rudeness.
Posted By: natalie p Re: tres cocos - 08/12/07 11:28 PM
thanks for at least removing that last sentence.
Posted By: roxane Re: tres cocos - 08/13/07 03:34 PM
Thanks for your replies. We are always pretty careful when travelling. Things can happen in the states, also. Since you all know the area so well, what can you tell me about Casa Bonita? We are renting it for Thanksgiving.
Posted By: elbert Re: tres cocos - 08/13/07 10:10 PM
It's a cute place ,on the beach, Quiet, has a small dock out front, and is in the heart of Tres Cocos, easy to get to town from there along the road by golf cart or bike. The water taxi comes every other hour to the docks in front. I think you will like it. If I remember correctly the Caye Management folks take care of that place.I remember it having a nice kitchen however its just a short stroll to 'Beachin-Kitchen' one of my favorite breakfast restaurants, and the Palapa Bar is a short stumble up the beach.
Posted By: seashell Re: tres cocos - 08/14/07 06:10 AM
I'm just curious. If the police knew the guy's house in San Pedrito, they must have known the guy. So if he got away from them that day at his house, how is it, that he hasn't been caught since?
Posted By: elbert Re: tres cocos - 08/14/07 03:21 PM
Your post references me, but I don't know anything about this. I have a diametric opinion of crime on the island than most of the people posting here. I feel like I live on a different island reading this. I've found it to be peaceful and almost crime free, a real refreshing change from the United States.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board