AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: elbert Big Truck in water near Journeys End - 08/30/07 06:30 PM
I was driving home yesterday in my boat and came upon a Gas tanker truck floating towards the shore about 200yards out from the new white building project. the kind of truck one might use to transport gas from station to station but med. size. I don't know truck sizes well I'm guessing it would be a 5 ton.
oddest thing I've ever seen on the way home. I must have fallen from a barge , the cab had a sack lunch floating around in it. and there is a Hazardous materials logo on the side of the tank.
I'm suspecting the truck is full of diesel.
I called Police and San Pedro Sun.
Sun said this morn. that a dept' of Belize Gov. is investigating.
This looks like a priority one clean up problem/disaster to me I hope gov. does due diligence.
Posted By: elbert Re: Big Truck in water near Journeys End - 08/30/07 06:39 PM
I can't do much to help by myself ,except for make noise. Its to big to tow for my little boat and i can't pump out and dispose of thousands of gallons of fuel. So lets make some noise.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Big Truck in water near Journeys End - 08/30/07 07:27 PM
Ambergris Today has pictures of the recovery efforts to date. It's only supposed to be carrying water.
Posted By: seashell Re: Big Truck in water near Journeys End - 08/31/07 03:33 AM
Hazardous materials?

Must have been the guy's lunch.
Posted By: elbert Re: Big Truck in water near Journeys End - 08/31/07 02:28 PM
It turned out to be water and the oil slick was from the trucks fuel tank and not the one it was carrying. It is curious that a truck carrying water would be marked Hazards materials and flammable but this is Belize. [Linked Image]
The truck is ashore.
Hazardous waste, maybe that's why all public water taps in Baltimore have a skull and crossbones engraved on the spigot.
Posted By: Short Re: Big Truck in water near Journeys End - 09/01/07 12:13 AM
Water truck rolls off barge in San Pedro
[Linked Image]
An accident at sea created a bizarre sight in San Pedro on Wednesday afternoon as islanders were shocked to see a truck trying to swim. According to our sources, around three yesterday afternoon a Belize City water bowser bound for the construction sites on the northern part of the island rolled off the barge and ended up in the sea. Loaded with three thousand gallons of water, the truck did stay afloat but lights were used to illuminate the site last night in an effort to prevent accidents. The truck was eventually pulled onto the beach earlier today and we understand officials from the Department of the Environment visited the area to assess any negative impacts to the scene. It is believed that the truck may have been loaded too close to the edge prior to the trip to San Pedro and rough seas caused the vehicle to shift position and eventually fall overboard.

http://www.channel5belize.com/archive_detail_story.php?story_id=19174
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board