AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Tucson Jim Best Eats - 12/02/07 11:30 PM
I am sure a lot has changed since we were on Ambergris Caye 15 months ago .Can everyone update us as to the Best Places to eat.Both Locals and upscale.....Thanks Jim
Posted By: seashell Re: Best Eats - 12/02/07 11:48 PM
We were just talking about this the other day under Trip Reports. Look for the thread started by sweetjane.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Best Eats - 12/02/07 11:49 PM
Sunset Grill, Blue water Grill, Portofino, Pappys.
Posted By: BrusselSprout Re: Best Eats - 12/03/07 12:46 AM
I love Mango's for dinner and atmosphere...and Elvi's for great food and service and delicious Key Lime Pie. Best lunch also Mango's and Monkey Bites at Crazy Canucks. Best breakfast definitely at Estelle's and Mickey's makes a mean lobster omlet. Rojo Lounge up north is fantastic...a bit more expensive but the food and the drinks are perfect.
Posted By: Leah-Ann Re: Best Eats - 12/03/07 02:12 AM
Casa Picasso - hands down for a nice, upscale meal out! and a fantastic martini bar! smile
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Best Eats - 12/03/07 05:11 PM
Lily's Treasure Chest for breakfast or lunch for great food, great people watching, large portions & average/low prices. Calientes, Carambas, El Divino, El Patio....lots of great restaurants on the island now.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Best Eats - 12/03/07 05:59 PM
LOL, SS - i never did finish that thread (hijacked!!).

add to yummy list:

el patio
waruguma (1 and 2)
monkey bites
george's kitchen
sunset grill
jambel jerk
the reef
beach n kitchen
mangoes
also consider: in-house - pastry from pan dulce with fresh-brewed caye coffee and fresh fruit from stand. suggested use: consume early while watching sun come up.

as barb said - lotsa good eats to be had.
Posted By: caroln Re: Best Eats - 12/03/07 06:07 PM
My favorite this time around was Jambel's. I think we ate there 4 times in the week we were down because we just couldn't get enough. The Reef was also really good food, especially the home made hot sauce, and Carambas was another favorite.

BTW reading this thread makes me want to go back and try all the places I've missed so far.
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Best Eats - 12/03/07 06:27 PM
kwiturbitchin!...

Jim, I agree with all of the above suggestions! Happy eatin' to ya!
Posted By: Tucson Jim Re: Best Eats - 12/04/07 04:06 AM
Thanks Everyone,I appreciate all the suggestion.Boy are we EXCITED about getting back to A.C. and really hope to meet some of you.Wild, Crazy and Partying Animals.Thanks Again,Jim
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Best Eats - 12/05/07 11:09 PM
Tucson Jim, If you like homemade Italian food Try "Pasta la Vista" We had the Lasagna and herb bread for 10 people last week. yummy smile Everyone loved it. Taste just like mom used to make back in N.J. It's located where Pauly's Pizza used to be, near the north end of the runway by the airport. The pizza is good too !! Wish I was back there now frown
Posted By: 6string Re: Best Eats - 12/06/07 04:06 PM
When we were in AC last year, in particular in San Pedro, we never had anything but great food!! To that end, I am wondering if we might change this thread a bit, are there any restaurants/food places that are not that great? Are there establishments that say have poor quality or bad service or simply too high priced for what you get? Is this even appropriate on this board, I would think its ok, since this is about real people talking about real life and not trying to sell anyone. yes? no?

Our only complaint last year was the lack of good wine, sure there is some available, but it costs 3X the US rate, and I understand why, but its worth noting to those that might not know.

Cheers!
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Best Eats - 12/06/07 05:11 PM
I didn't care for the food at Coconuts when I ate there. However the drinks are very good!!
Posted By: Tucson Jim Re: Best Eats - 12/06/07 11:59 PM
We LOVE Lasagna and that sounds Great.Thanks For all the recommendations..Just 3 weeks and we will be there...Excited in Tucson..
Posted By: kris48 Re: Best Eats - 12/07/07 01:40 AM
Always check the menu, or ask. At least one restaurant lists prices in US$. Almost everyone else in BZ$. $12 US for 5 small shrimp on ice berg lettuce was not a bargain. The vast majority of the restaurants on the island are fantastic.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Best Eats - 12/07/07 03:10 AM
You should name the restaurant,...don't put a cloud on all the rest!!!
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Best Eats - 12/07/07 03:29 AM
????
Posted By: seashell Re: Best Eats - 12/07/07 09:39 AM
I'd tell everyone to eat at Ambergris Delight but then I might not be able to get a table, just like the other night.

So, if you go, say Hey to Junior for me. And remind him to save a table for me.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Best Eats - 12/07/07 03:40 PM
Jesse is on the money ,name the place I think I know ??But why guess ??Maybe if the management new about it they might change the size or price ,as almost folks that own the restaurants here care about there business....
Posted By: Chloe Re: Best Eats - 12/07/07 03:44 PM
Ramon's menu prices are US.
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: Best Eats - 12/07/07 03:47 PM
Same for Victoria House.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Best Eats - 12/07/07 04:01 PM
There are 4 0r 5 places that price in both us and belize ,but all total up in belize!!!! there may be more ??
Posted By: 6string Re: Best Eats - 12/07/07 04:50 PM
We always enjoyed the food with the street vendors too, along with many of the smaller mom/pop places downtown. Prices are excellent, portions just right for on-the-go lunches or a quick bite. The lady that makes the (can't remember what they're called) round dough things stuffed with cheese/meat. We saw her making those all day to prepare for the evening! And Ricky, the kid on the bike with the burritos!! Oh Yeah!

Now that the vendor area is tore down, are they re-building that or have plans to re-establish that for those folks?

100 days till SP!!!!
Posted By: seashell Re: Best Eats - 12/07/07 05:05 PM
papusas
Posted By: indygal Re: Best Eats - 12/07/07 05:08 PM
Some of the vendors pull in carts/grills and are on front street near the Church and park. A few of the jewelery vendors have set up tables on the beach side of Fido's - they say business is slow there. I was here 6 weeks before I found them.
Posted By: Tucson Jim Re: Best Eats - 12/08/07 12:33 AM
Seashell,where is Ambergris Delight located?I will have Junior save you a table next to us.
Posted By: seashell Re: Best Eats - 12/08/07 11:15 AM
It's on Middle Street across from a small hardware store, just west of Fidos.

My friend says to have the seafood skewers (I can't remember exactly what the dish is called).
Posted By: kris48 Re: Best Eats - 12/08/07 12:52 PM
I really hate putting places down. It was Ramon's. It was our first trip, and we stayed at the Palms, so went next door to eat. Haven't been back since then. It wasn't a bad meal, just not as good as the great places on the island. Once you get used to Belize $ in most of the shops and restaurants, it's a bit strange for a restaurant to list prices in US$.
Posted By: Nova Re: Best Eats - 12/08/07 02:53 PM
I agree kris - we ate at Ramon's a couple of times our first trip, but only once our second - the only time we ever had an upset tummy was after eating one of their shrimp burgers. It was room temperature, rather than hot, but we ate it anyway, against our better judgement. The waiters, however, were great fun.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Best Eats - 12/08/07 04:15 PM
Try not to knock places and say bad things ,but have tried three times eating at ramons ,never even close to a good meal. small portions ,not good ,over priced ,with me three strikes your out....SOME VERY GOOD PLACES TO DINE ON AMBERGRISCAYE THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM..
Posted By: kris48 Re: Best Eats - 12/08/07 07:57 PM
Seashell, is Junior the waiter who used to work at Jade Gardens? From Dangriga I think? If so he remembered us this year from when we used to go to Jade Gardens. Really miss that place, but hey, Ambergris Delight is a favorite as well!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Best Eats - 12/08/07 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by kris48
Jade Gardens. Really miss that place, but hey, Ambergris Delight is a favorite as well!

Jade Gardens, without a doubt, was the best oriental restuarant on the Island.....we miss it ver much also.
Posted By: seashell Re: Best Eats - 12/08/07 11:57 PM
Sorry, I don't know if he worked at Jade Garden. He's a family member of the owners of Ambergris Delight. 22 years old (looks older), pony tail, shortish, stocky build.

Posted By: kris48 Re: Best Eats - 12/09/07 12:34 AM
Kids?
Posted By: seashell Re: Best Eats - 12/09/07 07:19 AM
"Kids?" I don't getcha.
Posted By: Leah-Ann Re: Best Eats - 12/09/07 04:46 PM
as in, "does he have any?"
Posted By: kris48 Re: Best Eats - 12/09/07 04:50 PM
Yeah, sorry. Does he have children? The waiter we met has at least 2 young boys.
Posted By: seashell Re: Best Eats - 12/09/07 10:44 PM
Sorry, I never asked him if he had any children. He's only 22, though I know that in Belize, that doesn't mean a person might not have any children.
Posted By: kris48 Re: Best Eats - 12/10/07 12:31 AM
That's okay. We'll ask him about it in June, when we will be back.
Posted By: C.C. Re: Best Eats - 12/12/07 02:51 PM
Casa Picasso for a great dining experience and fantastic food and tapas. Not to mention the perfect mojitos!! Crysto's for fantastic Greek food, Victoria House for a romantic evening and Sweet Basils for everything good including french fries!!!

If you want Pizza one bight, I am hooked on Pedro's. Walter makes a mean pie!

Monkey Bites or George's Kitchen for Breakfast and El Fugon is a perfect local foods lunch.
Posted By: Tucson Jim Re: Best Eats - 12/13/07 01:58 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions ,we will there in 14 days and will let everyone know what we find in the of Great Eats.We have so many Great places ,don't know if we can make all of them but will give them a try...
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Best Eats - 12/13/07 03:28 AM
Has anyone tried the new restuarant, Blue Lotus on the lagoon side yet?
Posted By: 1mauimom Re: Best Eats - 12/13/07 08:03 AM
and Tucson, don't forget to go try SWEET Basil's.My brother and family will be there, along with good friends. Tell him his little sister said YOU must!!! lol
Posted By: lil'red Re: Best Eats - 12/13/07 03:32 PM
Hmmm.not me. Is it Thai food? I love Thai food. Anyone have any info?
Posted By: Tucson Jim Re: Best Eats - 12/14/07 12:23 AM
Thanks 1mauimom,We will definitely try Sweet Basils.Hope to see everyone soon Thanks Again,Jim
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Best Eats - 12/14/07 05:27 PM
lil'red, it's Indian cuisine and it's located in the resort across the lagoon from the Sunset Grill.
Posted By: Turquoise Dreams Re: Best Eats - 12/14/07 07:14 PM
Coming 1st week in March and this thread is a huge help. I was looking forward to Jade Garden too (some of the best asian food I have had) but what happened? why did they close and will they open a new place or chef influence any of the other restaraunts?
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Best Eats - 12/14/07 07:56 PM
1mauimom
I tried to send you a PM but you have turned this feature off. You are not helping Sweet Basils with your constant yammering. Yo've been asked politely to stop it - now what?
I like it there - I go there - and I report on what I know. You do not go there, therefore your messages do not carry any weight and just p#%% people off. I'm begging you to stop it.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Best Eats - 12/14/07 08:08 PM
Ditto Harriette...........it gets nauseating after a while.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Best Eats - 12/14/07 08:51 PM
Motion approved.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Best Eats - 12/14/07 08:56 PM
I TRIPLE THE DITTO ,if the place is going to be good ,in both food and service then people will go there ,in sanpedro talking the talk and walking the walk are very important. ..And yes you are pissing people off ,and not helping your friends who may not need your help if there for real deal ..They sound like nice people so please take a break .
Posted By: Bobber Re: Best Eats - 12/17/07 04:26 PM
Unfortuantely, the only time I ever ate anything at the Palapa was back when it was on dry land. However, I do have the opinion that the Belikin at the Palapa Bar tastes better than anywhere else on the island. Makes no sense, but next time I am going to try the food. smile
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board