AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Sean&Kathy Turneffe snorkeling - 05/02/08 03:07 PM
Can anyone tell me if there is a tour company that takes snorkelers to Turneffe Islands? I can't seem to find anyone.

To those of you who have been to Turneffe, what is it like? Kathy And I have been to all the local snorkeling areas and are looking for someplace new.

Is it worth the expense to go all the way out there or should we just stay local?

Thank you for any information you could provide.

ONLY 38 MORE DAYS!!!!

Posted By: elbert Re: Turneffe snorkeling - 05/02/08 10:33 PM
I would do the Blue Hole as a snorkeling trip if I where you.
Its a good snorkeling adventure and you won't find operators letting snorkelers go on their turneffe trip ,no place to snorkel on the turneffe dive trips , but the Blue Hole dive trip visits some world class spots for snorkeling. don't get me wrong turneffe probably has great spots , its just the boats are visiting the dive spots and thats not snorkel territory but the blue hole dive sites are also snorkel spots and you can get a trip with the blue hole dive operators.
Posted By: shred Re: Turneffe snorkeling - 05/03/08 12:25 AM
Yes we had 3 sets of snorkelers on our blue hole trip and they said they had great snorkeling.I as a diver was a bit surprised but they said snorkeling the blue hole was awesome.I do know the reefs that we hit were very pristine,much nicer than the barrier next to San Pedro,not that those are terrible!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Turneffe snorkeling - 05/03/08 12:33 AM
Only downside is that for three dips in the water plus a walk around Half Moon Caye you travel by boat for 6 hours and pay about US$180.
Posted By: shred Re: Turneffe snorkeling - 05/03/08 12:59 AM
Yes but I thought snorkelers catch a break on the $.It is money well spent!Bring you bonine or dramamine,scopamine the ride out was quite rough.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Turneffe snorkeling - 05/03/08 04:11 AM
That is US$65 less than divers pay. It really is a costly day.
Posted By: elbert Re: Turneffe snorkeling - 05/03/08 02:48 PM
$250. for the divers and thats including 40 park fee = $210.
snorklers are paying the 40 park fee also so..$185. -40. =$145.
Thats really no bad for a full day boating to another island including, lunch, 3 snorkel stops with a guide., visiting the Booby Bird sanctuary, come on Peter thats cheap!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Turneffe snorkeling - 05/03/08 03:45 PM
I'm not saying it's expensive, Elbert, but it is still a lot of money for three snorkel dips. And most people find the "full day's boating" a negative, not a positive!

But given the number of people who choose to do the trip, and more to the point the numbers choosing to repeat the experience, it obviously hits the spot.
Posted By: Sean&Kathy Re: Turneffe snorkeling - 05/03/08 03:52 PM
Are you talking about Turneffe or the Blue Hole? Can you guys suggest another spot a little closer or cheaper? Six hours travel time seems a long way to go to snorkle.
Posted By: elbert Re: Turneffe snorkeling - 05/03/08 04:13 PM
'Snorkel dips'....You mean the unforgettable guided snorkeling tours in the world famous Blue Hole of Belize, The Half Moon Caye snorkel and the Aquarium at Long Caye? with Lunch on a tropical Island and a walk through the Tropical Littoral forest to climb the Bird observation's tower that puts you in the nesting area of the rare and endangered Red-Footed Booby Birds?
all for only $185. including the park fee and taxes
I want a job as your PR person. :-)
Posted By: elbert Re: Turneffe snorkeling - 05/03/08 04:17 PM
Hol Chan and Shark Ray alley is good and only about 40. at most dive shops its close (about a 15 min. boat ride).
Its definitely the nicest spot, and most popular on Ambergris.
Posted By: elbert Re: Turneffe snorkeling - 05/03/08 04:19 PM
Its a two stop tour that takes about half day leaves at 9:00 and is back about 11:30 or 12:
Posted By: shred Re: Turneffe snorkeling - 05/03/08 07:04 PM
The blue Hole did seem a little expensive when booking.$40 dollar park fee!?I hope the money is going where it should and not to a Belize general fund.
After the trip you realize that its worth every penny.
Posted By: elbert Re: Turneffe snorkeling - 05/03/08 07:33 PM
Thats a good question , where does that 40 go?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Turneffe snorkeling - 05/03/08 09:50 PM
I think it's all swallowed up in the costs of collecting it.

All right Elbert, I give in! I've made the trip countless times (as a diver, not a snorkeller) and will continue to go. And as I said, many visitors choose to make repeat trips out there even after they've experienced the long boat ride and paid the US$40 park fee (ouch!). So guys, don't listen to me but watch what other people do!

I shouldn't say this to you, Elbert, but I try to persuade people to walk down the south beach of HMC even if that means forgoing the visit to the bird sanctuary. IMO visitors should be given time to do that as well as having lunch and seeing the booby birds, but if they can only choose two of those three I suggest lunch followed by the beach. It's absolutely strewn with fossils and I could easily spend a couple of hours there. Sadly we often get just an hour tops for everything.
Posted By: Rykat Re: Turneffe snorkeling - 05/04/08 04:30 AM
Sean&Kathy,
Gotta be able to charter someone for the day to take you to Turneffe(close - NW side) for some snorkel stops and maybe a lunch at Marker Island. Did that a couple of years ago combined it with some fishing and had a fantastic day. Probably costly but worth it. Cant say who we did our trip with but one of the snorkel stops was a narrow passage through the reef just west of Mkr Is. and it was spectacular. Anchored near the reef inside on some grass piles and swam to the passage. Gorgeous reef loads of tropicals and when we returned to the boat one of the crew had chummed up a school of large mutton snappers and a half dozen pretty hefty cudas.
Between the fishing, snorkeling and stop at the island for lunch it was truly a remarkable day.
Not very helpful but it's sure nice remembering........ah!
Posted By: Sean&Kathy Re: Turneffe snorkeling - 05/04/08 03:03 PM
Thanks rykat,

I saw on Ecologic divers website that they offer a trip. I e mailed them yesterday afternoon but have not got an answer yet. Your trip sounds just like what we want to do!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board