AmbergrisCaye.com Home
San Pedro will soon have a First Class Air Terminal courtesy of Tropic Air. It can truly be said that this terminal will be San Pedro's because it will be the passengers that will enjoy expanded and improved facilities along with the entire formidable staff that Tropic employs. It is certainly due to the big and unequivocal support that San Pedro and the business community give Tropic by making their local airline the "Airline of Their Choice" that the company has decided to give San Pedro a big bonus by offering more comfort and pleasure in flying.

Ambergris Today had the privilege of speaking with Mr. Johnny Greif, President of Tropic Air, who explained a bit more about the new terminal building. Mr. Greif explained to us that the new terminal building will be much bigger than the existing one and that it would be a two storey building.

The new terminal will have all the basic commodities of a terminal such as a sidewalk, toilets, waiting area, passenger check in, boarding gate and loading Bay/luggage rack/baggage claim. The main attraction on the ground floor will be an aquarium of 9ft in diameter right by the entrance hall.

A key feature to the new terminal will be a new driveway built inside the airstrip premises which will help alleviate traffic congestion in the area. Vehicles will be able to pull into the driveway, away from the main street, to unload customers; a separate area will be allocated for taxi divers and others to pick up incoming travelers.

The second floor will have an open space for passengers to see right through to the ground floor, as well as a lounge, kitchenette, meeting room, and balcony to mention a few. Tropic Air is investing $3Mil in the new terminal which will be constructed by Medina's Construction and should be completed in approximately a year's time.

Tropic Air will have its official groundbreaking ceremonies for the New Terminal Building on Friday, July 4, at 9:00 a.m. The Minister of Tourism and Civil Aviation, Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr. should be present as well as other town officials.
Another piece of San Pedro will be gone. frown
agreed E. If I want a multi-story, aquarium-filled, efficiently designed airport terminal with full amenities I can get that any number of places.

I don't begrudge San Pedro progress, but at some point the cumulative "progress" means San Pedro loses its charm.
cry
It will alleviate the traffic problems in the area, the biggest benefit to the community.
I agree with Otter. I love it the way it is, but progress? Just don't spoil it! It is a great experience getting off the plane on the tarmac! It's Paradise! Relax and enjoy!
Well sure we begrudge San Pedro progress - precisely because all that progress results is some loss of charm. I hated it when the pull-ferry was replaced by the bridge. And there are already too many hotels, I can't believe they're building more.

Like Otter, if I want a fancy airport I can go places that have them - sometimes I do.

Of course, I don't live in San Pedro. I don't have to put up with that airport traffic every day. I didn't have to worry about whether the pull ferry would or would not be there when I got to the cut. I don't depend on San Pedro's tourism for my living. It's all a matter of perspective...
You could always use Maya Island Air instead.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: San Pedro will soon have a First Class Air Termina - 07/04/08 02:37 AM
I went to the Caye Caulker lobsterfest, and took the opportunity to have a really good walk around. How much more peaceful and laid back it is down there! In the few years since I first came to San Pedro it has certainly changed, and although individual changes are for the good (like the paved streets, so much better than the quagmires we had to wade through before), cumulatively the character is changing so much.
Before you criticise, consider the hassles of full-time living with the problems we endure...horrible traffic bottleneck at the present Tropic terminal...out-of-control taxis...overcrowding of the terminal area when busy (and getting worse every year)...what seems "quaint" to a visitor is a giant pain in the *** to residents.
Then control the taxi's and the huge trucks
Stop making so damn much sense E.
San Pedro is too nice...for its own good.
Originally Posted by immissing
Then control the taxi's and the huge trucks

The only route for traffic (including huge trucks) is right past the Tropic terminal...so this new terminal will certainly relieve some of the problem.
It's certainly arrogant for me as a visitor to prescribe solutions (or non-solutions) for San Pedro. No doubt there are worthwhile benefits. I can, however, lament them as a visitor.
Imissing you might want to re read Pedro's post - he did go to Caulker!!

This is an ongoing topic of conversation with endless threads since the fairly recent day I moved here, and I'm sure from many days before that. Some of the old hand Ex-pats reminisce on the good old days of 20 years ago and how great it was - and some might even mean it.

Me, I like some of the luxuries to go with the simple life, the sunshine and the sea. I like running water. Electricity. I like to have a flushing toilet. A fridge for beer and some food is great. Internet is nice. I no longer need to fly to Belize City or take the boat once a month for things you can't get on the Caye - I even see City folk in san Pedro these days for things they can't get there!!

In short time stands still for nobody and nowhere, and change is inevitable. I personally don't like many of the changes including the cobbled streets as it seems dustier and more broken glass than ever - but the kids can get to school as clean as kids can, people get around better and faster, that's progress they say.

Each time something new like the Bridge, The Streets, New Pick Up Trucks / SUV Vehicles, and now a new Air Terminal happens there's always this cry for the good old days and while I probably agree to a degree, I do only seem to hear it from foreigners who live here or visit. Who are we to tell Belizeans what they can and can't have.

I am not trying to preach here, just putting forward a flip side to the coin - and I do recognise people have other options to either visit or live and spend their hard earned money and both cases they contribute socially and financially and hope they continue others will come. It is inevitable I think that the demographics of the people that come in the future will change and probably already has, but San Pedro will prosper and go from strength to strength but perhaps not be everyone's cup of tea.

Despite a bit more concrete, glass and stainless steel enjoy San Pedro as it's richest attributes are still there - the people and the setting.
Can you give a 'ballpark' budget for living on AC?
I am very interested!
Thank you
music1
Is this terminal only for the First Class passengers on Tropic? Or do the coach passengers get to use it too? smile Seriously, if a re-org would alleviate the traffic, it would be worth it, especially in the future. I can't imagine the need for a giant structure just to accomodate the passengers on the Tropic flights.
I think it depends a lot on your lifestyle. Our family of 3 lived there for 12 months last year and we averaged about $2500 US a month. Rent and utilities ran about $1000 US-well worth it as the place we lived was really nice. While we ate our fair share of beans and rice ( and alternately, rice and beans), we did fall into the trap of buying more American food which definitely added to the overall expense.
Admittedly, we drank a lot of beer. I'm sure Palapa Bar, Coco Loco and Island Perk were impacted financially by our departure. No regrets though, we had an awesome year that we will remember forever. We had the best midlife crisis of anyone we know.
I just can't believe they put it smack dab in the middle of the runway. I remember when a landing plane couldn't stop........bad brakes I think and ran through the fence, right where the new terminal is going to be, crossed the street and the "Welcome to San Pedro, Where you won't be a stranger for Long" sign stopped it. hmmmmmmmm I will always be very nervous in that terminal. /s/ Bill Wilkinson
A first class air terminal on San Pedro is definitely not for the benefit of the "locals". Neither are the cobblestone streets. When only "locals" lived on SP the streets were soft powdery white sand. There was no need for paved streets. Or even shoes. Oh, there was no traffic either.

Developmental "needs" are imported "needs."
If the San Pedranos didn't want tourist income they could have stayed "as was"...with little or no income, no future for the kids, living in thatch, no medical facilities...wonderful.
Way to go Jesse. Change can be hard, especially as we have the faded romantic view of what SP used to be. However...the wonderful life we have now compared to 1990 is hard to believe! I sure wouldn't want it as it was.

Behind every successful man is a surprised woman. - Maryon Pearson
So you think the quality of life in SP is better now than it was twenty years ago? Define "better"?

Streets clogged with traffic, buildings lining the seashore blocking the natural flow of the breeze, rising crime and an overly populated small town is considered "better"?

I think you need to google the term "cultural arrogance". More money flowing is not the same as "better".

Cheers,
Wendy
I love ya Wendy !
I liked San Pedro 20 years ago..thats why I moved here. But I felt sad for the kids with no education and no future here...and people with no future of a better life.
Sure wonderful that you are saving Caye Caulker in its virgin state,.
Hey Bill
Remember when they dumped a plane in the 5 a side area.
It was around Easter time if I remember right.
Everyone walked away from that.
T-boning a 2 story concrete building will be a different story.
That accident was back when the runway was where the taxi strip is now...no room for error. Now the whole strip has been moved way south and the old strip is used as a taxiway to the new runway...remember?
Jesse is correct, the old runway was 2400ft, the new one is 3000ft plus 500ft of over run plus 1000ft of taxi way.That puts the school yard 2100ft, farther from the threshold.Any down town airport is a problem, London city, Houston Hobby, all of them, but one must balance safety with convenience. I personally preferred the hot dog stand tropic terminal. I used to just show up, didn't even need to check in, they new my name and put me on the flight.Paradise lost? losing?Progress?Entropy?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: San Pedro will soon have a First Class Air Ter - 07/05/08 04:24 PM
I never saw that, Jesse. Where was the northern end, and was the alignment the same? Are there any maps of those days?
The northern end was right at the fence across from what is now Tropic Cargo. There was a slight realignment moving the southern end of the new strip more westward to avoid existing buildings.
Hard to believe that people would object/criticize a transportation company for providing a safe, comfortable terminal for it's passengers, which by the way Wendy, 75+% of the travelers are Belizeans.

The old rwy was 2100 ft long x 20' wide, measurement started from the edge of the former Maya Airways bldg (which is now the Tropic Cargo bldg), ended just past were Bowen's hangers are now.
Made for some exciting times! You say 20' wide but it was breaking up and someplaces was 18'- 19' wide...and when you went off the edge ...that was exciting!
Hubby has a question that makes some sense---if Tropic's building a big new terminal-will Maya be following suit? Will Tropic be raising prices to pay for the new terminal?
They already have raised their rates to adjust for the dramatic increase in the cost of fuel, but they will be competitive irresepective of how much they spend on the new terminal. At the end of the day, traveling folks look for the most cost effective fare with out regard to the condition of the terminal. Point in fact....Maya has a very nice terminal at Municipal. Do I fly Maya because of the nicer terminal? No....it is all about the service and I like Tropic. At the end of the day, they both do a superb job under somewhat difficult condtions.
Think about who started bringing in SUV's, pickup trucks, Delivery trucks and automobiles! It wasn't the tourists nor was it the gringo retirees. The sand streets were turned into oil soaked dirt beyond repair by grading. As much as I dislike these vehicles on this island I have to understand the ego's that drive these purchases. Belizean's are no different than any other people when it comes to wanting to keep up with the Jones's. They watch TV and go to Belize City and see shiny new cars complete with air conditioning. They have made a lot of money selling beach front to developers or running a gift shop, etc.
With the expense and frustration of maintaining a golf cart a motor vehicle looks pretty nice --- any way for a while.

EVERYONE has complained about the traffic jams in front of Tropic Air. The new terminal was needed in order to open up the street and reroute traffic. Do you really think they should build a palapa? I imagine they will move their offices and cargo all into one building.
You imagine wrongly!
We have to realize that San Pedro is growing more everyday.We are no longer the quaint little fishing village we were twenty years ago.And as expected with all this growth changes come.Some are really good, like all the employment generated by tourism, some not so good such as the higher crime rate, bad streets.But pointing fingers and and playing the blaming game as to who started bringing trucks to the island is not gonna solve anything.But as with everything in life it cant all be perfect.The new terminal will help with the traffic problem, not just the people living here, but everyone.Will the island loose some of it's charm??? perhaps,but we have to come to think that the tourists visit our island for the hospitality, our beaches, not the infrastructure,My grandparents used to live in a thatch house, and used to cook using a fire hearth, not so today but they are still the same.San Pedro is developing, but we are still la Isla Bonita
Posted By: Anonymous Re: San Pedro will soon have a First Class Air Ter - 07/10/08 11:32 PM
Interesting that since the ground-breaking work has started, and a tall pile driver is in place, there have been lots of takeoffs from south to north, right over the site. Yet we've had no wind that could have prompted that. Is this just to show that they can?!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: San Pedro will soon have a First Class Air Ter - 07/10/08 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
Belizean's are no different than any other people when it comes to wanting to keep up with the Jones's

Hey, I'm one of the Jones' and I haven't noticed anyone trying to keep up with me! Not that it would be difficult.
I'm biting my tongue....
I agree with all being said here -- in many regards the upgraded terminal is necessary and not really an option for San Pedranos and tourists to remain safe and be able to move-about freely. I would never be so arrogant as a tourist to stand in the way of what residents see as thoughtful and needed progress.

That doesn't mean I can't lament the change. If San Pedro starts to look like Cancun or even Playa Del Carmen -- I'm gone.
I´m 100% with jesse, everyone around the world wants to live in first class comfort, even if we are indeed a third world country. We all want proper infrastructure, schooling facilities etc, because this is were we were born and we want to grow just as any other community does. However, options are limited for us young locals. We all have the right to wish and work for a better standard of living. Development is inevitable because everybody wants a little piece of ambergris caye, and the grwoth rate will increase incredibly within the next 5 to ten years. So, it´s in everybody´s best interest to start planning and acommodating for sustainable development.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board