AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: lil'red Why do Birds Sing? - 12/21/08 07:44 PM
I dunno, maybe they are really happy or don't have opposable thumbs so they can't snap their little fingers.
My question is why do birds always poop on my favorite light colored jeans every time I hang them out to dry? I have 20 feet of space and if they are the only thing drying, those little creatures will land and let go. Out of 10 other items all from the same wash they still choose my fav's to foul up. Maybe Alfred Hitchcock knew something I don't.......

Have a great day in San Pedro and Merry Christmas where ever you are.
Posted By: pugwash Re: Why do Birds Sing? - 12/21/08 08:04 PM
Speaking of Hitchcock
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/06/19/the-birds-barbie-dol.html
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Why do Birds Sing? - 12/21/08 08:27 PM
If the culprits are Grackles, they do it out of sheer meanness.
Posted By: Barnacle Re: Why do Birds Sing? - 12/21/08 08:48 PM
i used to feed them on my deck for photos.
not any more.
Posted By: GwenA Re: Why do Birds Sing? - 12/22/08 10:22 PM
This is the nerdy answer. I used to work for US Fish and wildlife and the National Zoo doing research on birds. There was this wonderful guy named Gene (Morton, I think) who studied why they sing. They sing as early in the day (Oh-dark-thirty) to announce they are on their territory, attract females, and to challenge those that want to fight for both. They sing certain songs certain times of year because of day length and temperature. They are sorta hard wired. He also studied how they sing, which is even nerdier. Isn't it wonderful that someone could make a living having a passion about birds singing?
Posted By: Barnacle Re: Why do Birds Sing? - 12/22/08 10:34 PM
could one consider the spine tingling, ear piercing, nails-on-the-chalkboard racket the Chachalacha's spew forth at 0600, singing?
Dos Chachalaca's
Posted By: papashine Re: Why do Birds Sing? - 12/22/08 10:42 PM
Why do birds sing? Because they'd have to have lips to hum or whistle!
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Why do Birds Sing? - 12/22/08 10:50 PM
But they do whistle...sorta. Chachalakas just squawk...loudly!
Posted By: drummer dan Re: Why do Birds Sing? - 12/23/08 05:53 PM
Well, they don't have lips or teeth, they just have peckers. That keeps them happy with something to sing about.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Why do Birds Sing? - 12/23/08 06:10 PM
no Chicken Lips?
Posted By: papashine Re: Why do Birds Sing? - 12/23/08 06:26 PM
So you say birds play with their peckers?
Posted By: Dan Carey Re: Why do Birds Sing? - 12/26/08 06:35 PM
C'mon, birds sing for the same reason that people do-because it's easier than learning to play an instrument.

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board