AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: SherriG Taxis - 02/20/09 03:39 PM
The cost of renting a golf cart for a week seems outrageous. I will be traveling with 5. Is it realistic that I could take a taxi from my hotel to downtown as needed? I will be staying about 2-1/2 miles north of downtown. I read the ride costs about $5 each way. Is that per person or per trip? If it's per person, I might be better off renting a cart for a week then. Thanks.
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet Re: Taxis - 02/20/09 03:43 PM
If you are 2 1/2 miles north of downtown then it sounds like you are north of the bridge where taxis are not allowed to cross just golf carts and bikes.
Posted By: Sarahvch Re: Taxis - 02/20/09 03:54 PM
That is per person but as the poster above said taxis can't go north of the bridge. You can however take the island ferry (boat) from your resort to town.
Remember it depends on the roads, you might not even be able to use the golf cart on some places in the road. I was there last week and was not able to use a golf cart the first part of the week.
Now that being said the golf carts were not at all expensive when I did rent one. They have discounts for the week and they are most likely priced in BZ dollars.
Your resort may also have bicycles you can use.
It really is not hard to get around, just seems like it because we are so use to being able to just jump in our cars and go.
When I came back to the states and got off the airplane I almost cried because it was SO loud. Horns, honking, brakes screaching, people yelling.
Posted By: Tom Re: Taxis - 02/20/09 05:05 PM
I love the Ferry Boat, that way you get to be on the water and get a good look at the Island on your way into town it is also pretty quiet. Of course the water is so great and I always want to just jump in.
Kat
Posted By: Tom Re: Taxis - 02/20/09 05:09 PM
You might check to see if your place you are staying has there own water taxi service to town and back.
Kat
Posted By: Moose In Belize Re: Taxis - 02/20/09 07:16 PM
The cost that you read about might be the bridge toll.
Posted By: lovey and thurston Re: Taxis - 02/21/09 02:32 PM
I think coming south, the fare to Malcom's house is now about $60bz, so a cart would make sense.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Taxis - 02/21/09 03:11 PM
What? It can't be $60. It is only about $12 to my house and Malcolms house is about 1 mile from me. JZB should know how much the fare is.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Taxis - 02/21/09 03:12 PM
But she said she is north which means island ferry trips which are more expensive than road taxis.
Posted By: jO3Design Re: Taxis - 02/22/09 05:08 PM
Sherri, where will you be staying?

If you are traveling WITH 5, that means that there are 6 of you in total? Well, whether there are 5 or 6 of you, that's still more than the comfortable amount for a standard 4-seater golf cart, which means that you're going to have to get the 6-seater, which costs a bit more money.

What you could do as a bargaining chip is to go to a couple places and see what they have available and for what cost. Then go to the next place and say "SO-and-so offered me the week for this price", and so on until you find a reasonable price.

Taxis here sometimes like to rip off tourists. I've been in a taxi filled with my friends traveling about a mile away, and he charged us $15 for three people. Then I've been in taxis with 5 people going from down south all the way to the bridge, and it was the same price.

Generally, you're looking at $5/person/mile; you may end up paying $7/person for 2.5 miles.

Golf cart rentals by the week are definitely cheaper than by the day, and for a 6-seater, you're looking at prices between $550-$650BZ/week.

For me, I'm traveling solo, but I love having the convenience of being able to hop in the cart as I wish, especially when needing to run small errands like buying a pack of cigarettes and a drink. I don't have to sit and wait for a taxi.

Good luck, and let me know before you come if you need the phone number to a few honest taxi guys that I've become close with!

Joe
Posted By: jO3Design Re: Taxis - 02/22/09 05:16 PM
By the way, the Island Ferry will run you for $16/person each way if you're 2.5 miles north. I'd rule that out and see if the hotel operates a water taxi service.

Oh, and if you do get a golf cart, when you cross the bridge, there's a $5 toll per cart. If you're on a bicycle, it's a $2 toll per bicycle. Walking over the bridge is free.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Taxis - 02/22/09 05:22 PM
she said 2.5 miles north. afraid that makes both a golfcart and land taxi moot.

also, joe - your quoted prices are bz dollars, yes??
Posted By: Tim Callanan Re: Taxis - 02/22/09 05:33 PM
Call Island Ferry and tell them where you are staying and how many people, also how often you will be going into town will help them. Cash is king, call them try to get a group rate.Call and ask for owner/managers e-mail. The guys that answer the phone will not be able to help you, other than give you owners e-mail 501-226-3231. You may want to ask the person that answers the phone to tell his boss to check his e-mail.
Posted By: kerry Re: Taxis - 02/23/09 09:46 AM
always ask how much before you get in a taxi...that way u won't be surprised!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board