AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: GILLY INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 02/27/09 01:42 AM
I am thinking about buying something like a lot at Palm Beach club for my retirement - say 15K for a lot. It is still at least 10 years away and think it might be a good investment. I cant afford to put up a 100K. Anyone own land at the palm beach club or someplace like that? Any thoughts on the cheap land up north?
Posted By: SP Daily Re: INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 02/27/09 01:51 AM
Maybe 40 to 50 years away.
Posted By: GILLY Re: INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 02/27/09 02:13 AM
Let be make myself clear. not looking to make a fortune or anything. Just maybe get some utilities, a few other homes around and the ability to live there with a some basics in 15 years.
Posted By: Mary1220 Re: INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 02/27/09 03:35 AM
the problem is that all these retirement magazines advertise you can live in Belize for 1,000 US per month and find a cheap house for 60,000.. US they are NOT talking about the islands
that is no longer the case.
Mary
Posted By: spl Re: INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 02/27/09 02:18 PM
Why would you invest in property for yourself without the intention or hope of making a fortune? That doesn't seem to make sense.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 02/27/09 02:38 PM
he says clearly cuz he plans to live there. but he is not doing his research on cost of living and employment opportunities for expats.

unfortunately, no crystal ball here. if u got a dream and can afford to take a chance - and possibly lose everything - go for it. otherwise, you gotta go down there, see it, talk to professionals and do your homework. no one here is gonna do it for you. if they did, lots of us in line in front of you!!! best of luck!
Posted By: Sarahvch Re: INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 02/27/09 03:45 PM
Maybe I am looking at a different kind of property than you are but I have not seen anything for 15K. I was there earlier this month looking at property and will be back in a week to look again. I have a realtor helping me and I just don't think there is anything listed around that price (I am looking at lots only with no structures). I think Mary is right you do need to spend some time there looking, talking with locals and research before you decide on a place or even a budget.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 02/27/09 03:51 PM
Keep in mind too that although you may buy an inexpensive lot, it might be in an area that will be very expensive to build in. If you buy a "cheap" lot it will need some or all of the following:

1. Fill
2. Electricity
3. Roads
4. Water

All of these items are expensive to supply.

If the lot is in a remote or difficult to access area you will be looking at doubling the cost of construction.

Beware of false savings.

You can buy a decent lot in DFC for $12,500 per lot. Even these lots don't have a useable road, power, water etc. But at least the amenities and utilities are nearby.

For $30K you can buy a lot on a canal which again doesn't feature the necessities yet, but at least they are attainable within a reasonable period of time and expense.

Posted By: GILLY Re: INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 02/27/09 08:48 PM
Sorry - DFC?
Posted By: GILLY Re: INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 02/27/09 08:52 PM
I have sen some lots in that range but they are up by the mexican order. I am thinking that maybe in 10 or 20 years the northern tip may be more populated and make sense to build there then?? It is a dream and I will be down there in a couple of weeks to start scoping it out. I figure there is no hurry in this market. the worlds has lost a lot of wealth and I figure thee will be some deals coming. this mess is not over!!!
Posted By: Sarahvch Re: INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 02/28/09 04:13 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN1629514120090117
Take a look at this link.
If you find something you love you may want to go ahead and grab it. I have looked at the property trends and buying on AC is almost a for sure good investment. You never know how developed a place will be in 10 years but you need to consider how you will get to your property and live on the property if roads, water and electricity are not there in ten years. It is a gamble but no matter what one you won't regret, if you have the money to make it work.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 02/28/09 04:56 PM
i'm not really sure how you get that statement out of that article?
Posted By: Sarahvch Re: INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 02/28/09 05:07 PM
Well my statement did not really go with the article. The article was more in response to his statement that the market was bad (to paraphrase). It seems that Belize is not having the issues that the US is currently having when it comes to economics.

My statement was more an opinion the research I have done shows that AC property does appreciate at very good percent. If you find something you love and you have the money go ahead and grab it. It is always a gamble the the history shows that the appreciation rate is in your favor.
Posted By: AdvantageRealty Re: INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 03/01/09 03:51 PM
I love Palm Bay! I was told 10 years ago I wouldn't see development up north in my lifetime. I now see bridge, a very basic road and elec stretching far norhth, and pushing farther.

What a unique area too! No place like it in Belize. I would defintely suggest buying up in PB.
Posted By: beachbum blue Re: INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 03/01/09 04:01 PM
CHECK OUT- www.samsolarproducts.com
Posted By: Danny2 Re: INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 03/01/09 04:20 PM
beachbum, that's a good site. The wind turbine looks like a good product. Thanks.
Posted By: ron Re: INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 03/01/09 04:27 PM
Their prices aren't so wonderful. Many sites offer the Whisper 500 at about $7800. Its an industry that you need to do your homework with. By the way, after the wind turbine you need a tower and batteries and an inverter, perhaps 2 depending on the system you decide to use. And is the Whisper 500 big enough for your needs.
Posted By: Danny2 Re: INEXPENSE LAND - north island - 03/01/09 04:39 PM

Ron, this is what I was looking at.

Skystream 3.7 Compact Wind Turbine

List Price: $6,857.95
Sale Price: $6,449.20
You Save: $408.75
Item Stock: In Stock

Add to Cart
View Cart

Owner Manual

The Skystream 3.7 land wind generator is designed for utility interconnect applications. The 3.7 features the latest in electronics technology and has a manufacturer rated output of 1.9kw nominal, 2.6 kw peak at 240vac or 120vac, single phase.

This model connects directly to a dedicated (double pole) circuit breaker on your existing breaker pan; However, most utilities will require a manual disconnect near the tower or meter pan for times when they are working on the grid and want to manually disconnect the turbine.
The Skystream 3.7 has the potential to provide all or a significant portion of the electrical needs of many small homes or businesses. Like any wind turbine it must be installed on a tower of the proper size and height to give it unobstructed access to the wind.
The Skystream 3.7's built in power inverter (UL listed) automatically stabilizes variable wind power to constant, utility grade AC electricity. This usually allows the Skystream 3.7 to be utility approved right of the box, making it even easier for Skystream owners to take advantage of net-metering laws, thereby slowing or stopping their utility meter and effectively running their electrical meter backwards during surplus production.
How The Skystream Works:
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board