AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: ScubaLdy DEAR MOM & DAD - send money - 02/28/09 12:07 AM
Most of the threads here quickly become hijacked and have nothing to do with the original post. Knowing this I am going to start a post here that I hope can stay on target. This one is about funding.

The Concerned Citizens for Sustainable Development is a growing organization headed up but not restricted to the long time residents of San Pedro. They are seeing their island paradise destroyed and up until recently felt they had little power to be heard.

I'm also pleased to inform you that this is not just a stop South Beach group, although that is the main focus at this point, but dedicated to look at all development that threatens the environment.

With the new central government coming in last year more power has been given to local authorities. Before a developer could simply get approval from Belmopan; now the San Pedro Planning Commission has the final say.

Yesterday some of the candidates for the UDP (red) party attended the San Pedro Business Association meeting. I was privileged to be allowed to attend as an observer. Both Minister Heredia and Mayoress Paz stated that they served as representatives of the people. If the people do not want South Beach there will be no South Beach.

Mr. Heredia was told last Friday that the DOE had placed a stop order on the work that was going on there. He was surprised that it was not enforced. There seems to be some question as to if it was even issued. This is being looked into.

At this point funds are needed to carry out the proposal that have been presented. There are over 400 members now and growing. Just like the letters home from school "PLEASE SEND MONEY!" Make checks out to CC for Sustainable Development.

At yesterday's meeting one of the fishing guides made an impassioned plea saying that is where he takes his customers to catch bone fish. The people here realize that for every job South Beach would create it may very well destroy ten existing jobs and eventually our entire tourism industry.

When you come down have a guide take you by boat through this beautiful wetlands/waterway.

Who will want to come here when the reef is dead? OH, only those who --- o never mind!
Posted By: beachbumin Re: DEAR MOM & DAD - send money - 02/28/09 12:30 AM
At the end of the day. What is right is right and what is wrong is wrong. My prediction, and I hope I am wrong, is that after the elections next week, there will be a big ole fat rubber stamp that says "Approved" Hope you can prove me wrong. Money talks...bulls.itt walks.
Posted By: Barnacle Re: DEAR MOM & DAD - send money - 02/28/09 12:38 AM
i hate to say it but here goes.
i think your right.
i hope i am wrong as well, but i have lost all respect for the GOB, developers, both of them, long ago.
with those elections comming up, you can bet there is more grease being slathered around than it would take to get Oprah thru my doggie door!

edit: OK,, not ALL respect,, but a huge portion of it where this stuff is concerned!
Posted By: Barnacle Re: DEAR MOM & DAD - send money - 02/28/09 12:49 AM
Interesting. On one hand you (most likely) have developers hurling cash at politicians to get their project green-lighted.
Then on the other hand is the public threatening to not re-elect those politicians, thus taking away their chance for any future cash coming under the table.
What to do, what to do,,,?
Posted By: RathaBnBelize Re: DEAR MOM & DAD - send money - 02/28/09 01:17 AM
How many people are on the San Pedro Planning Commission? Is it made up of paid employees, town council or both?
Posted By: SimonB Re: DEAR MOM & DAD - send money - 02/28/09 02:01 AM
If the politicians were smart they would take the developer money, get elected and then turn around and show solidarity with the community.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: DEAR MOM & DAD - send money - 02/28/09 02:14 AM
not that i don't sadly agree with all you fine people, but...

please honor harriette's request to stay on topic. please donate if you feel strongly about this. i will (and save me a t-shirt!).
Posted By: Scuba do Re: DEAR MOM & DAD - send money - 02/28/09 06:06 AM
Harriette, I will donate,I will be by to see you Saturday
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board